StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Posture Question (lower back soreness)

• Posture Question (lower back soreness)

Posted by 33barbwire on April 15, 2016 at 12:22 am

I know I’m not the only one like this, so I’m curious what other people have done for this. I hold my upper back and shoulders pretty well most of the time I’m standing, but I have extra curvature in my lower back, and have had it all my life. Just in the last few years though, if I stand too long my lower back will be sooooo soooore. 🙁

This soreness can be staved off for a while if I do my best to tilt my hips and tuck my butt a little, making what I bet is a healthier curve in my spine. Whether it’s just muscle control or something else, this position is hard for me to hold if I’m doing anything other than standing still. When I walk my dog, I’ll stop frequently to stand still, reset my lower back, and continue again until I’m pretty sure I’m not holding that posture anymore.

What kind of exercises are there for this?

Veena replied 8 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Runemist34

April 15, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Hey 33barbwire!
    When it comes to back pain, and especially lower back pain, I would strongly suggest going to a physiotherapist and insisting on some thorough assessment!
    I also have a strong curve in my lower back, but it doesn’t give me issues- that would be my middle and upper back where the issues come! Due to my muscle tension and such, I’m actually doing semi-permanent damage to that area, and I have to be careful. I THOUGHT I was doing well with my posture, but it turns out what I was doing was more harmful than good.

Lower back issues can be coming from other places in the body, such as your feet, knees, or hips. All of these things play a role in your alignment, and the pain may place itself somewhere seemingly unrelated to the problem.

A physiotherapist would also be able to give you sound instruction on how to help your back, or anything else that may be doing harm to your alignment.

• Veena

Administrator
    April 15, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Being aware of the change that needs to be made is a very important step in correcting old body patterns. Anytime you workout or do any kind of exercise be sure to focus on holding the new correct posture.

Many of the conditioning exercises here will help improve body mechanics overall. The hover https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/56c9381b-b644-49b2-9a88-0d5dac110003 And the switch https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4df4be6f-3160-46c9-9e73-67a10ac37250 can be helpful in reducing low back pain. Strengthening your abdominals and hips can help as well 😊