StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole session V interval training?

• Pole session V interval training?

Posted by Sarah Brace on October 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I've heard wonderful things about the benefits of interval training, ie, short bursts of exertion between resting phases, would pole sessions be considered a similar thing? I was just thinking about how we work hard on a move with pauses in between & also dancing through a song with tricks & transitions.

Koidragon replied 10 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Paunobs

October 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I definitely think pole fits the interval training category.

• Lee lee

October 9, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Is that what people mean when they talk about HIIT?

• SmilingFox

October 9, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Yep, HIIT means High Intensity Interval Training . As an example: going all-out on burpees for 50 sec with 10 sec rest in between. HIIT workouts usually aren't too awful long, since you are going all out on the work phase. I guess pole can be considered interval training, but usually HIIT gets heart rate up into or near anaerobic zone for work, and down into aerobic zone for rest.  I guess I just haven't gotten that much anaerobic cardio from pole. It works strength like gangbusters, and I do get good aerobic cardio from dancing through songs, but not much on anaerobic side of things.   So I guess my answer is: it depends on how you workout on the pole 🙂

• Koidragon

October 10, 2013 at 11:03 am

I agree with smilingfox – HIIT workouts are usually also a specific time sequence, which you could do on the pole, but unless you actually consciously do something like the below, it isn't technically 'HIIT' training, but that doesn't mean it still isn't amazing 🙂 As for classing it as interval training, again you would have to be consciously working with that in mind.

HIIT pole

1 minute of pole pull ups non stop
    30 seconds slow crunches
    1 minute continuous inversions
    30 seconds slow floor windmills
    rest