StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole instructor audition…at a strip club??????

• miss fern

February 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Haha Tarah, I am a pole instructor at a studio in Australia.

I am paid to train girls from four different strip clubs in my city, and I go to the venues in the evening, either before it is opens, or before most clients arrive. I teach on the main stage, under mood lighting and all. One of these classes is also open to women from the general public, so the club makes a little extra money that way too.

There are plenty of legitimate positions for pole instructors at strip clubs. There are also plenty of dodgy strip clubs an unscrupulous business owners – so I recommend glitter, and anyone else, simply keeps their BS radar on, and assesses each case as it comes.

• tarah

February 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Hi Fern sycamore!  Wow, that is awesome!  What a great job you have!  The girls must appreciate you so much.  I guess things have changed, and I'm glad to hear it 🙂  Glitterhips, I hope this is the case for your situation, let us know how it turns out…..

• Scarlett Honey aka Lola Grace

February 24, 2011 at 12:18 am

I second Fern Sycamore,

Alot of clubs are investing in instructors to raise the quality of their dancers' pole skills. At the club I worked at, they payed one of their own dancers (who is also an instructor at a studio) to train us at 3pm once a week… Dont be too nervous about the environment – its quite common for strip clubs to use their space for their own extra training/activities/interviews/ or to rent out their space for a seperate function/event. And really, unless you are there at peak time, late at night when its crowded and the customers are intoxicated, you should be very safe. Club managers are professional businessmen too… So i reckon, just get as much info out of this woman as you can re the interview and venue, but I would be definitely show up as long as she can give a reasonable explanation for the choice of interview location. Also, from another poler who has aspirations to one day be an instructor, sometimes we have to be prepared to start out small and underground, before we can make the right contacts and rise to the top (ie fancy studios). Its all about networking and diverse experiences girl! 🙂 Hope the woman gets back to u and pouts your mind to rest… I know how u must be feeling, it sucks to always be hitting dead-ends! But keep putting yourself out there! 🙂 xox

• glitterhips

February 25, 2011 at 10:50 am

Oook I have an update for you guys!!!! I emailed the owner (we will call her J) on Tuesday saying I wanted to cancel my audition because of where it was located and I also wanted to ask her why they were holding it there in the first place, I basically told her I was still interested in the job but uncomfortable dancing in a club for the audition.

My audition was scheduled for 4 pm yesterday, I have school from 9-12AM…I get out of class and check my phone and I had 2 missed calls, one voicemail and one text from the girl I spoke to to set up the audition (we will call her S)….but two days before I had emailed her partner J to tell her I wanted to cancel so either she never got my email or she read it and didn't communicate it to S…either way I was really annoyed these people were blowing up my phone while I was at school wtf?!?! And it was totally unnecessary because I made sure to tell them two days before the audition was supposed to be scheduled because I didn't want to cancel it at the last minute and be a jerk and inconvenience them so I wanted to give them plenty of notice, I guess that didn't work!

So I finally texted S back and re-explained everything I had already said in the email i sent to J, I told her I was in class so couldn't check my phone and said the same exact things I had said in my email J never told her about. She never responded and my audition time came and went so I know she got my text I just assumed they were offended and forgot about the whole thing.

Then around 7 pm I get a phone call from J (the main owner) saying "Hi I just got your email and I wanted to let you know I totally understand your concern about the location, but the time we had scheduled you for is before they are open. Our studio is under construction right now so that's why we had to schedule it at the club. You can come meet me at my office in downtown Chicago if you still want to meet, why don't you just call me back at this number so we can chat"

….???? Ok if that's the case why wasn't all of this explained to me at the very beginning?!? I feel kinda put off by the fact that J didn't pass along my email to S and if they would have explained to me why they had the audition in a club I would have been a little more open to the idea but they just told me a time and place to meet them which I think is strange.  The club is still in a not great neighborhood and they said the owner of the place would be there as well so obviously there would be a guy around, I'm sure he is professional but the whole situation just makes me uncomfortable. So now I'm wondering what I should do, my boyfriend said to just forget it and wait for the next opportunity plus I do makeup and wedding season is coming so I know that will keep me busy for sure. What do you guys think? I feel a little better about the situation but i still have no idea why they didn't tell me any of this information until I asked??? 

• willowbreath

February 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Glitter, my first thought is…they just didn't think about it. If these are new girls going into business, they may have so much on their plate one thought the other was handling it. It's forgivable, depending on how much they have going on. I used to manage 2 law offices at the same time (and go to school and do military reserve duty at the same time lol) and sometimes so much piles up you forget simple stuff. My suggestion is to call her and give her a chance if you really want the opportunity. You may be more comfortable after talking to her. And if you don't…at least you won't always wonder if this was the break that you missed.  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• Kittyclimber

February 25, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Yes, when when opening a biz things great crazy and you forget… I feel that they are genuinely interested in you, with good reason. You communicated well, you have great talent and don't want to risk yourself at a dingy nasty club. They are showing respect to you by not making you go there. I say, go in, chat, see how you feel once you actually meet them in person and see the studio itself. It could be a great opportunity! If you still have the vibe this isn't the gig for you, at least you tried everything. Good luck Glitter 

• Mary Ellyn

February 25, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I just caught up on this post and read through the responses before I wrote mine…but through the whole thing I'm thinking…maybe they don't have poles up, or even have a studio yet, but…why would they simply direct you to a club without explaining this???

You  hit it on the head Glitter…they should have explained that when they set up the interview. It's pretty basic and common sense to explain why an interview would be at ANY other location other than the venue you will be working at/for.

I doubt it's anything shady…but my concern is how much common sense do they have to not even have the forethought to tell you why you would be interviewing at a different location. It just seems like something that should be difficult to omit!

• HannahElizabeth

February 26, 2011 at 4:58 am

You're gut feeling is telling you to be wary of this situation and deep down, no matter what our heads are telling us at the time, gut feelings never fail us

If they are running a professional business, forgetting to pass important info on such as a this is absolutely no excuse. I run my own business and I can tell you now that you can spot people who are inefficient and not serious a mile away…. and it seems like thats what you've done. They should have told you in the first place, end of story. The fact that they didn't suggests that they don't know what they're doing. I can appreciate that people start these things if with little experience, everyone has to start somewhere, but forgetting such a simple thing? It's not a difficult task. For a start, they haven't exactly promoted their business very well… they've even put potential employee's off!

If their being this inefficient before you've even started working for them, what are they going to be like when it comes to payday? Or having days off?

I would let this one go and consider it an experience to learn from. If it's something you really want to do, write to every different pole school nearby that you can and ask if they are in need of an instructor. Sometimes you need to go looking for jobs as they don't always come looking for you https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

Let us know what you decide https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• hookedonpole

February 26, 2011 at 4:26 pm

glitter, I agree with hannahelizabeth.  I do love poling, however, thinking like a mom, I like you proceeding with caution.  That you even questioned the situation tells me you have strong concern and I think you should go with your gut feeling.  Something that is starting out so quirky has me wondering what might be up ahead.  

• Charley

February 27, 2011 at 10:00 am

If it's something you want to know more about I would proceed with extreme caution.  It may have been a simple oversight.  I do think they should have explained all of this and it does make me think they aren't organized but that could be momentarily.

I would go to the office and talk with them more and atleast meet them.  Find out what they are thinking.  Remember any interview is as much you interviewing them as them interviewing you.  I'm a firm believer that in any field it's just as important to make sure the job is also right for you. I am really against taking jobs just because you have to because those situations rarely work out…(although I know we don't always get to pick and choose, but I like to put everything out there before I take a job.)

Also you need to find a kind way to bring up your concerns about their communication with one another and it made you wonder how organized they are and if this is a headache you are going to have to continue to deal with.

• JBStarryEyedGirl

February 28, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Bumping this up! 

Glitter – please update us! What ever happened with this studio? 

Page 2 of 2