StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole grip

• Pole grip

Posted by Sunshine88 on March 15, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Hello,

I recently got a stainless steel pole. It is very slippery! I had only used brass before and there is such a big difference. I know that I shouldn’t rely on grip aid but I need something to help me out a little!

What works best for you? Thus far I have just found that rubbing alcohol is the best but it’s not that great.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

poledanceromance replied 14 years, 4 months ago 10 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • sexycat

March 16, 2010 at 4:37 am

My instructor here on the Gold Coast in Australia informed me that even though not great for your hands and not nice to smell, that methylated spirits gives you all the grip you need!

• minicoopergrl

March 16, 2010 at 10:53 am

I wash my hands w/antibacteral soap before I dance. Ive been using brass for many years. One day I had alot of stuff on my hands and went to go wash it all off. Its like it strips everything from them. Im also a heavy sweater, so this helped as well w/my grip.

• Journey

March 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm

If it makes you feel any better (don’t know if you already knew this), but once you get the pole broken in, it’ll grip better.

I use Tite Grip, but it’s a hand antiperspirant – so if your hands don’t sweat it won’t help you much. A lot of dancers like Mighty Grip, but it’s too sticky for spins. I’ve found that rubbing alcohol does nothing for me.

• Sunshine88

March 16, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I had no idea that you can break in a pole!

Maybe I’ll try something like might grip just to help me get some work in on inverts.

I also strained something in my back right behind my shoulder blade and although it generally feels better, if I don’t warm up a lot I can still feel it when I try to pull myself up.

• Journey

March 16, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I had no idea that you can break in a pole! .

Yup, I’m pretty sure that’s just with stainless, though, other poles don’t have to be broken in as far as I know. (someone correct me if I’m wrong)

• amy

March 16, 2010 at 3:37 pm

the only thing that helped me with my brand-new stainless steel pole was sanding it (super super lightly) with the finest grit sandpaper i could find.

• polarbearlove

March 17, 2010 at 2:44 am

prince tennis grip works well.. its almost the same as PS grip

• MilienElayne

March 17, 2010 at 3:17 am

I have had pretty shocking grip problems and still do if I’m anxious. I can go from super gripping trickster to slipping sliding beginner and back again in the space of five minutes. Some people love shaving cream, hairspray, Mighty Grip, antiperspirants, sports grips, Dry Hands, iTac…there are heaps of products and I’ve tried as many as I can get my hands on. Nothing works for me except rosin for grip, windex to clean my pole and astringent face wash to rid my hands of the day behind me and prepare for the pole-night ahead! Also, the more I pole and the less I think about my hands the better my grip gets in a session. Improving my grip strength is helping the most though. I think you just need stronger hands for the more ‘slippery’ finishes.

• PoleDanceABCs

March 22, 2010 at 9:19 am

I have a PS stainless pole and I had to go to X Chrome. Stainless takes forever to get warm and with my sweaty hands it was a nightmare. Chrome is working for me much better (so far… haha).

• amcut

March 22, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Mmm.
    I have stainless, and mine is nicely broken in- on occasions when it’s a cold, miserable gripless day, I’ll rub a plain white candle(no oils or scents) against it, rub it in really good until it’s invisible/makes the pole matte and pole away.

I’ve done it in the winter, and I’ve done it when I had mutliple polers mixing incompatible oils on the pole.

• poledanceromance

March 22, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Mmm.
    I have stainless, and mine is nicely broken in- on occasions when it’s a cold, miserable gripless day, I’ll rub a plain white candle(no oils or scents) against it, rub it in really good until it’s invisible/makes the pole matte and pole away.

I’ve done it in the winter, and I’ve done it when I had mutliple polers mixing incompatible oils on the pole.

Can I just keep you in my purse so I can pull you out periodically to either give great advice or the perfect reassuring comment at all times? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif