StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole gloves

• Pole gloves

Posted by Felissita on January 31, 2010 at 9:38 am

Hi girls! I have a terrible problem while poling- I have callosyties on both of my hands that are very painful. I’m thinking of starting using the pole gloves like the Mighty Grip gloves for pole dance. Do anybody use them? How does it feel? Are they comfortable? Do they prevent callosyties?

Charley replied 14 years, 6 months ago 9 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • amcut

January 31, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I guess it depends on how long you’ve been poling.

..The callosities shouldn’t be too painful after a while- and are really just good grip aids. You really don’t want to stunt their growth, unless they’re bliiiistering.

A lot of times mine will stop being productive and start hurting if I do a LOT of spins, and then I do put on my mighty grip gloves just so I can practice longer. They’re fingerless, so if you have the little ones on your fingers, they don’t cover those… They have a decent grip, but it depends on the position because sometimes their slide prevention can be a little on the dangerous side.

I also don’t know if they prevent callouses- I imagine so, because they partially alleviate the discomfort… but I can’t be sure!

• tiffincat

October 6, 2010 at 5:17 am

Can you spin while wearing the gloves? Do they help in getting a grip while climbing as well? I’m thinking of getting some. Thanks for any advice.

• luckylindyhopper

October 6, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I wear Mighty Grip gloves in my level 2 classes (especially Fawnia’s) and can still do any and all spins, climbing, holds, etc. I find them great to use to prevent callouses and they are great for learning new moves that I am a little hesitate on.

• JenLFG

October 7, 2010 at 5:52 am

i have the "tacky" mighty grip gloves for those days when its just too hot & sweaty for spin mode & i love them! i already have calluses so i can’t say if they would prevent them or not.

• tiffincat

October 7, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for your replies. I’m not concerned about the formation of callouses, because ultimately I want to be glove free. But if it will help with the grip and then subsequent development of my upper body strenth, then it sounds good. What brand do you all use? I am finding only the mighty grip one online, and then references to nomis brand, but I’m not finding where I can get these. I live in the U.S.

Thanks!

• JenLFG

October 8, 2010 at 3:56 am

i got my mighty grip gloves from http://www.thepoledancingshop.com/products/Pole-Dancing-Gloves.html
    they were $16 & shipping was less thank $2! & they have a hand sizing chart on the page. i ordered mine on a sunday night & they were here by wednesday https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif
    i also wanted to add that i have ordered from that company a few times now & i really like them https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif incase anyone was wondering

• Kobajo84

October 8, 2010 at 4:00 am

I just bought a pair tonight at the pole workshop I went to! I’m excited to try them the next time I pole!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• Mindy4pole

October 8, 2010 at 6:02 am

They have a decent grip, but it depends on the position because sometimes their slide prevention can be a little on the dangerous side.

NO JOKE! I got a pair in my swag bag from my competition, so I was excited to try them out. I went into a butterfly, and it hurt my lower arm and wrist, and felt really unstable. Being me, I escaped the move and tried again. Same result the second time, but worse. I pulled the gloves off and threw them across the room! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

I did it again w/o the gloves, and I realized that I count on the slip of my lower hand to adjust into the right position for my body. The gloves just froze me in place and put a lot of stress on my lower arm. Besides, I really didn’t like not feeling the pole.

So, if you decide to try to gloves, test them with caution!

Mindy
    (SPINNING with the gloves??? WOW?!! It didn’t work for me. At. All.)

• Solya

October 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I don’t know how people can spin in gloves, I found it impossible. They just stick to the pole too much.

I think they1re okay if you’re super super sweaty and doing something difficult, but I really don’t like them. If you do split grip inverted moves (aysha, extended butterfly etc) your top hand gets pulled out of the glove while the glove sticks to the pole. I just found myself having to grip a lot harder and it also made me more insecure. Oh and I hate not feeling the pole too, I just feel that I don’t have any control over my grip and my hands get pulled out of the glove whatever I do.

The only use I found for them is to wear it on my bottom hand only in elbow/split/twisted grip ayshas and extended butterfly, it prevents the hand slipping. But for everything else it’s rubbish, if you get a good grip aid it will help a lot more.

• Charley

October 9, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I don’t really like gloves as much as I thought I would but they are great for sweaty hands or performances that make you nervous. I think I see the biggest danger in that you have to adjust your grip because they are super sticky then when you don’t have them you have readjust your grip again. That can be confusing to newer pole dancers.

I would only recommend them for advanced moves, not spins or anything because you need to get used to spinning and feeling the pole and learning how to grip it properly and I think gloves would hinder that.