StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole dancing and ovarian cysts

• Pole dancing and ovarian cysts

Posted by bttrswtbeauty on February 9, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Back in September of 09… I had to go to the gynecologist because of these horrible sharp and crampy pains in my pelvic area. I had a sonogram done and the doctor found a hemorrhagic cyst on one of my ovaries. She told me not to worry and that they usually go away on there own but to come back if I start to notice more problems. A few weeks went by and I started having more pain and one night almost to the point where I could barely walk. When I went back to the gyno and had another sonogram done, she had said that I had no cysts on my left ovary but one on my right ovary had busted. She suggested getting on birth control (which I did) and I haven’t had any problems really since then but lately I’ve been getting weird pains in my pelvic area like I used to.

I had wondered why on earth I would get ovarian cysts like that… I’m a healthy 22 year old girl and I take great care of myself and I have never had an abnormal menstrual cycle like you would think if you were getting cysts or if you have polycystic ovarian syndrome. Just recently as I was reading on ovarian cysts I read that injury to the ovaries can cause the follicle of the egg to be filled with blood or other fluids… which got me to thinking about certain moves on the pole banging the pole up against my lower abdominal area, or maybe stretching it in a certain way could be the cause of the cysts.

Has anyone else ever experienced this or know anything about this area?

madfurrysf replied 14 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • LittleC

February 10, 2010 at 12:39 am

So sorry to hear you are having a tough time with ovarian cysts – those are really painful. I have several friends who have had them, and in their cases it wasn’t part of a bigger problem – they had one, and then it was done without any issues. Hopefully the birth control pills will regulate your hormones so that you won’t have another one!

Your question about it being related to poling is interesting – I am definitely not a doctor, but I would imagine you would have to have a pretty traumatic injury to cause something like that. I have definitely banged the hell out of my lower midsection, but my hipbone seems to take the brunt of it and keep the pole from pressing on anything more internal. That’s not to say it could never happen and everyone is different – but I also think that the great ab strength you are gaining will further protect them. Just my two cents – I sure hope you feel better soon. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• xoxoHeatherxoxo

February 10, 2010 at 1:25 am

I have had problems with cysts starting when I was 15 and had one break on me for the first time last year, it is incredably painful. I have twice been put on birth control to help control them. My last gyn doctor explained to me that it is normal to get cyst on your ovaries, but that for most girls they are not a problem. It’s natural for them to fill with fluid alittle before your period, then when you have your period they go back down. However for some of us the cysts don’t get the message that we are haveing our periods and they continue to fill causeing pain and sometimes bursting, the birth control pills confuse your body into thinking your pregnant so that the cysts don’t fill with fluid. He told me that it has to do with pregnancy, that the fluid production is to help norish a fertilized egg until the placenta is formed. If you have been getting pains becarful when you have sex. The first question the er doc asked me is what I had been doing before I started have the pain, and I had been haveing sex about 30 min. earlier, then like you I could bearly walk to the car to get to the hospital, she said that is usually the case. I would imagine that if you have one that has gotten very swollen you might could burst one while poling, but I wouldn’t think that It would be the cause of the swelling. I hope you feel better soon and I would just pay attention to your body, if the pains are really bad then maybe a different kind of birth control would work better for you. I still sometimes have pain around the begining of my period but it passes, I don’t even take the birth control anymore, If I’ve been hurting a little I just don’t get to wild in the bedroom LOL!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Veena

Administrator
    February 10, 2010 at 3:34 am

I don’t think pole dancing injury has anything to do with it. My DRs have never check me for cyst but, anytime I ask about the pain I get, they just say.."oh its more than likely cysts." Don’t worry about it. I get HORRIBLE (this is coming from a woman who gave birth 4 times without drugs) horrible pain when I ovulate. I can’t take the pill because if makes me really sick. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_puke_r.gif I feel for you bttrswtbeauty https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif I can barley walk for a few hours, then it get tolerable, then after a day its gone. I hope the birth control works for you.

• madfurrysf

February 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I’m sorry to hear about the cysts giving you problems.

When I turned 19, I was taken to the hospital for pains and it turns out it was due to ovarian cysts. When all was said and done, I had surgery to remove the cyst, ovary and part of the fallopian tube. The cyst had gotten too big and crushed the ovary and then got tangled up in the tube. While in the hospital, the doctors told me that what aggravates cysts is movement. The best thing to do when you start to feel them is to lay down and relax.

Over the past 10 years, I have had two more that have burst and caused pain. My GYN said that the only thing the doctors would do is to prescribe pain medication if the pain didn’t go away on it’s own and keep sending me in for sonograms to make sure the cyst wasn’t growing.

I hope this helps a little and at the very least thanks for letting me share my story.