StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole School offers classes to 10-16 year olds

• poledanceromance

May 5, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Wow that makes me so happy!! I remember in the pole and sexuality thread I mentioned how much I wish we could remove the stigma in our minds enough that we could see what children would bring to the sport with proper training. Kids are so creative and focused in their playtime, I bet these children will really beef out the creative and gymnastic aspects of this art.

EDIT TO ADD: of course, if you read the comments on these articles, you see all kinds of parents perpetuating these pole stereotypes that say a woman can’t possibly be on the pole without it being sexually explicit. But you just know that videos of these kids will make it to the Internet. And once people see that what they are doing is a true showcase of gymnastic skill and not sexual at all, only the most bigoted will hold fast. I saw a lot of parents commenting that, while they know pole isn’t all about stripping, they still wouldn’t let their kids do it because of the stigma. So I think if this is successful it will be a step forward for all of us in the public eye.

• chemgoddess1

May 5, 2010 at 2:48 pm

There is a studio by me that teaches break dance, pole, aerial silks, juggling and stiltwalking to kids.

Check out some of the pics at Jasmine Dragons

• loopielou

May 6, 2010 at 8:12 am

You know, I would have loved to have had a place like this near me when I was a kid – I just wish I’d found pole sooner. It’s sometimes frustrating being 33 and knowing that I’m not as flexible as I would have been had I found this in my early 20s or something – everything is so much harder now! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

• amy

May 6, 2010 at 2:43 pm

if it’s purely pole gymnastics, then… okay fine. but i feel weird about it. because i don’t see the point in pole dancing without any DANCING.

• verucablue

May 6, 2010 at 3:06 pm

https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif yeah Amy I kind of feel the same way…I keep thinking if I had a daughter and she wanted to do gymnastics then GREAT but pole…not so much at least until she was older. And it kinda bothers me that I feel like this being Ms liberal and all – what a hypocrite I am LOL…But it’s really just because I don’t really subscribe to Pole Fitness/gymnastics – I fully respect the strength it takes…but it’s not my cup of tea. For me Pole Dancing is so much about the dance, that being the case I think 10 yo is a bit young but who knows. I guess if it was just a pole fitness class then that would be fine.

*Good thing I don’t have kids cause all this stuff would kill me https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif seriously how do you Mom’s do it??? All of the decisions – uggg my kids would hate me lol

• Charley

May 6, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I think if it’s just tricks, cool! I also think that if pole is to be accepted into the Olympics is needs to be acceptable for everyone to do, this includes children, the same children who would likely perform pole in the Olympics.

If I don’t look at it as pole dancing I don’t have a problem with it. It’s basically chinese pole or vertical bar for kiddos, who might frow to be great DANCERS. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif my 2 cents.

• megs982

May 6, 2010 at 5:06 pm

To be honest, if there wasn’t so much hype about it..I would let my daughter do it. She’s 7 now..she plays on my poles..asks me how to do spins..and the girl can invert and do tricks like no tomorrow (with me spotting just in case of coarse) she doesn’t dance around the pole..she doesn’t even know WHAT dancing around the pole is. She is a tumbler and in gymnastics and it helps build her upper body muscles..I see no problem with it to be honest..but thats just me

• NightFall

May 7, 2010 at 10:17 am

Is this for boys too? I really think more guys need to get into this is we want it to be taken seriously. Obviously, there is still some ideas in peoples heads about what is masculine and not (think: Billy Elliot) and in Scrubs they made a joke about JD taking gymnastics, but we can challenge this too. My BF has been asking if the pole would support his weight lately and this is because he’s seeing what a workout I get. Once classes for guys start appearing, it’ll be amzing how fast this talk of pole’s "origins" disappears.

• MommaBear

May 7, 2010 at 11:51 am

This place has a Circus Class for kids for $100 for 8 weeks that includes Stilt Walking, POI, Acrobat Freezes, Yoga, Dance, Pole, Juggling, Rola Bola, Aerial Fabric & More.

I think I am going to give this as a birthday gift to my middle monkey who is 6. We have this rope that hangs from a tree in our backyard. There is a little notch at the bottom for a foot hold. He comes home from school everyday and goes straight to that rope. I will have to video tape him sometime – he spins at maximum velocity and contorts his body to increase or decrease speed. He leaps off of the kids picnic table to gain speed and the once airborne he pulls up into an inverted V – I just didn’t know what it was until now https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

He struggles with dyslexia and I have been searching for something that will highlight his strengths – I think this could be a wonderful outlet for him in all aspects – physically, mentally, and emotionally!

So glad you posted this, I really see this as something my little stinker could find great confidence in and really enjoy!

• chemgoddess1

May 7, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Momma…check out Jasmine Dragons facebook page and the videos that they have from the Maple Fest. This seems like such a great place for kids, I just wish they were a little closer, ya know!

• glitterhips

May 9, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I read the articles and all the comments from moms saying how they would never allow their child to do such a thing…..

but then last night I watching that "toddlers and tiaras" show and I have a pretty strong feelings those are the same moms who are putting their 2 year olds in a full face of makeup and a bikini and having them prance around in beauty pageants. Not there’s anything wrong with that but I get a kick out of how many things are "acceptable" behavior for young girls but pole fitness is not one of them. Also, even if the pole classes were sexual which they clearly aren’t, you’d pretty much have to lock your child in the house and never let them watch tv, use the internet or read magazines to keep them from getting exposed to anything sexy or sexual. However I think if we had a more open view of sex and things like that in this country pole dancing wouldn’t even be such a big deal, but kids seem to want to experiment with things theyre not "allowed" to do hence the teen pregnancy rate being so much higher than in other countries. But I have noticed that a lot of parents would let their child walk around in a midriff baring top and shorty shorts before they would ever let them take a pole dancing class or get tattoos or anything like that, since pole dancing is so slutty and wrong….*hits head against wall*

• stars2shame

May 10, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I have a 5 yr old son and he is simply not interested in the pole at all, but when my 6 and 10 yr old cousins come over they love it on spinny mode and they climb it and spin around and stuff. I have showed them moves and the things I can do, their mom is cool with it but then when then tell their other grandma about it she doesn’t understand why we let them see it.

I think it is just going to take time for people to understand, my husband and dad still hate it, I hope that poling for fitness becomes more mainstream so we can be more accepted and understood.

• amcut

May 10, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Heheheehe.

Most child dance classes are so much nastier than anything that would occur in a child pole dance class. Just the past sexual connotation would prevent it- where as you can EXPECT your child’s cheerleading/step/jazz practice to contain some raunchiness.

HOWEVER.

I really don’t want to see kids on the pole. My personal opinion, but I’m glad we have a sport that kids don’t practice. Seriously. Kids have SO MANY OPTIONS. And if we signed up for those same options, we’d be laughed at for our lack of background. Kids monopolize way too many sport/class/socialization options. No wonder why adults get together only to and booze and cook- they’re the only things kids can’t really wrap their hands around. I would be FURIOUS if I had to share my pole with my entire family. So. Yeah, I’m being selfish. But they’re selfish all day long, nasty grubby kids. LOL

• Veena

Administrator
    May 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I think its great…a pole is just an object…. and we can make it as nasty or wholesome as we want.

http://ver3.studioveena.com/lessons/view/3732

• megs982

May 10, 2010 at 5:14 pm