StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole Dance Instruction Certification?

• RoxyPink

April 3, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I’ve been actually wondering this same thing. i know Fawnia offers a training certification and so does pole cat power…but they are both pricey and far from where I live…

Same thing goes if anyone knows of one is south carolina…please let me know.

btw…the c is in the title https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• pole-twista

April 4, 2009 at 3:38 am

as i have said in a few posts i would like to start a studio myself i have been trying to get info on it but doesnt seem to be much help on the issue in my area and apparently just to speak w an atoorney costs a fortune ( trying to get legal advice about disclaimers ect) any help oin anyway is very much appreciated ( living in Mass.) https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_sunny.gif

• Rouge_LAmour

April 4, 2009 at 4:44 am

I’ve learned from other tutors, Jamilla lessons, Veena videos and other youtube videos.
    (and my GP when I’ve done them there injuries… )

I constantly strive to better what I’m learning and I have other tutors that I’ve learned lots from.

The certification we’ve looked at is vertical dance, it’s KT Coates who is a big x-pole promoter.
    Still trying to decide as it’s about $2000+ NZ dollars for us to do it.

• lily

April 4, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Thanks for the replies, Rouge if you end up doing the Vertical Dance certification I’d love to know how it goes – the fact that it’s virtual makes it a possibility as traveling somewhere to do it is not practical for me….I wish it was!

I guess I’m really wondering how essential it is to be certified, and how accredited these organizations are. I’m wondering if basic aerobic certification and first aid/cpr classes would be good boxes to check as well……

Pole-Twista, I have a lot of questions about the liability with teaching Pole Dance too, well if I get more serious and start talking to attorneys and insurers I’ll be sure to pass on what I learn. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• RoxyPink

April 4, 2009 at 2:43 pm

The nice thing about vertical dance is that if you arent near by there is an online at-home certification you can do…I would want to be in a studio…but it’s still an option!

• Rouge_LAmour

April 5, 2009 at 2:38 am

New Zealand isn’t as litigious as the US, therefore we’ve got $2mil public liability for our studio.
    Fortunately, if someone has an accident, then it’s also covered by the government under ACC. However, if there is any chance of recklessness or carelessness by us, that can be proven, then we are open to action.
    This is covered in a relatively cheap monthly payment that also covers all liability and contents insurance.

A basic first aid cert + CPR is always good, the more advanced the better. We seem to have a lot of nurses at the school too, which helps a lot!

I would also look at a basic sports instruction cert from a community college or online place too, purely to learn physiology, anatomy etc. Growing up wanting to be a Dr, means I already have a good knowledge of anatomy, but I’m still learning. My GP has his masters in Sports medicine, he’s great for brain picking.

Vertical Dance would be my choice as it’s KT Coates and extramural.

• lily

April 5, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Thanks so much Rouge!

I just found out the woman I took private lessons from is about to open a studio – YAY! I’m so excited – it will be so perfect to start teaching with her….and letting her take on all the liability https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• LittleMissLola

April 6, 2009 at 10:23 am

Personally I think qualifications don’t make the teacher (or pole instructor in this case). There’s are qualified teachers out there who are fab and there are unqualified who are equally as fab (and there’s bad instructors on both sides too). However if anyone thinks they would benefit from this sort of training then I say go for it, it’s down to the person themselves.

I don’t think I’d shell out on a training course, but then again I coached gymnastics for nearly ten years and I feel a lot of what I know does translate well to the pole.

I can only speak for the UK but to teach pole here you need a first aid certificate, insurance and a ppl license, that’s all that’s required. But like I said earlier, if you’d like to know a bit of A&P and biomechanics then maybe a pole qualification is the way to go for you.

• lily

April 30, 2009 at 12:04 am

Hey all, I wanted to bump this thread because I got some really good applicable replies in another thread…..Thanks YogaBeachBabe and Veena https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif , I hope ya’ll don’t mind me copying and pasting your posts here….

I have been ACE certified for 8 years, its not an easy coarse by any means, but you will learn sooooo much, the test for the PT was tough. You will also be required to do continuing education, every 2 years to ensure your keeping up with things in order for them to re certify you. The pole dance Certification falls under the continuing ed. program.You will also have to maintain current CPR, but any gym or studio will require the same, well at least they should! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

One studio that my teacher recommended was Pole Position:
    http://www.polepositionfitness.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    It seems that they are very into afaa and ace guidelines. It’s in Long Beach, CA, so it might not be feasible for you.
    The following was cut and pasted from Diva Den Studio website (Portland, Oregon):

What about credentials and experience?
    Does you being a dancer for X amount of years make you an expert?
    Short answer, no.
    Long answer, I’ve corrected many issues with dancers that have been dancing longer than I have. You need to make sure that not only can your instructor dance, but also that they have taken classes on how your body and muscles work, a personal and/or group training certificate is good, but pole dance certification that is approved by AFAA or ACE is even better and the two combined is fabulous! AFAA & ACE are the 2 leading fitness certification associations in the country. Also, do they stay up to date with the latest health and fitness news. Are they continually honing their craft by training with other qualified instructors?
    Anyone can say “I developed a Pole Dance Certification Class”, even if they’ve never touched a pole, because it’s not regulated, but if the certification class has taken the time to get the approval and CEC’s through associations such as AFAA or ACE, then you will be doing yourself a huge favor by dealing with instructors that were trained properly.

Just a note: I am not affiliated with either studio in any way, shape or form. I was doing a bit of research and found these items.

The update on my studio/instructor ambition is that the dancer in my city I took a few private lessons with is opening a new larger studio and asked me to teach a beginner class…..I LOVE the spinning pole and consider myself self-taught primarily from video’s from Bobbi’s Pole Studio so I’ll be teaching a beginner’s spinning pole dance class I’m advertising as ‘Australian Showgirl Style’ https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif I really envision it as an aerobics-style dance class and so far I feel really good about how my routine and class plan is coming together….. I’m SO excited about it!!!! The grand opening is in a few weeks, and the direction she’s taking the studio is very ‘cirque du soleil’ with aerial hoops and silks, I LOVE it!

Anyway, on the advice I received here I’ve gone ahead and enrolled in a few of AAFA’s classes, one for basics & choreography, and one for group aerobic instruction. I’m kinda hoping her grand opening will be postponed a little so I can squeeze these in before I officially start, I know they will help tremendously. Anyway, I’m excited to start working on certifications and continuing education through these organizations, thanks again for the help and direction ladies! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Charley

April 30, 2009 at 3:57 am

Sorry I haven’t read everyone else’s post BUT I know Mary Ellen from Empowerment Through Exotic Dance and her course is AWESOME!!!!!!

Mary Ellen is ACE certified as well as being a registered nurse. Mary Ellen KNOWS HER STUFF. She has been teaching for a good long time and knows pole inside and out. She is probably the most helpful person I ahve ever encountered. She is not afraid to share all of her knowledge from opening a studio and marketing to making syllabuses. She is an amazing human being and would recommend anyone looking for certs to go through her because she is thorough – this woman does her research and knows her stuff. She has a lot to offer.

I cannot wait to spend time with her learning – it will be worth every single penny.

She has been an inspiration and a HUGE help to me through out my journey here as an instructor. I have learned a lot from her.

Alena Downs from pole junkies also has a program and highly recommend working with Alena too. Alena is full of insight and great advice, she knows pole from both a perfromers and health professionals stand point. She also is not stingey with her knowledge and freely shares it.

I love both women – they are wonderful people and very safe – probably the safest instructors I have ever met.

When I started my business – Alena not only sold me poles and walke me through all the things I would neec but sent to me her private class syllabus,

I plan to get certs through Mary Ellen and get competition ready through Alena.