StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Performing on an extra grippy pole

• Performing on an extra grippy pole

Posted by Cherished on November 26, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Hey Everyone,
    I see lots of tips for poles that are too slippery but have any of you been in situations where you are performing on a pole that you are not used to and the grip is too strong?

What do you do?

Cherished replied 10 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Phoenix Hunter

November 26, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I don’t have an answer, but I have the same problem. my brass pole is too grippy. what kind of pole do you have? mine is an x-stage lite brass 45.

• chemgoddess1

November 26, 2013 at 5:33 pm

This is where training with a grippy pole or a ton of grip aid helps out. There is one other option but I am not sure I would go with it unless I had a lot of time to practice, and that is a product used in bowling called ultra slide. There is a very thin line with that product between the ball flying off your hand and the ball sliding but you still having grip. The best advice I have though is to work as much as you can on that pole prior to the performance.

• Veena

Administrator
    November 26, 2013 at 7:09 pm

A grippy pole means you’ll have to be spot on with your technique. It doesn’t leave room for sliding into the right position. I personally love a super grippy pole but, I remember the first time I used my TG xpole I was shocked at how much trouble extra grip was! Think we don’t realize how much we settle or slide into place until we use a grippy pole! I would suggest practicing on a grippy pole or using a sticky grip aid like Cramers Firm grip, if you can. If not, when you practice at home or in studio, focus on nailing each position without sliding into place.

• MeganJoan

November 27, 2013 at 1:25 am

My studio uses brass and I love, love, LOVE brass poles. However! I’ve learnt the hard way not to use ANY until I’ve figured out how grippy my skin is that day. When it’s warmer my skin gets very tacky which can make for lots grip and soreness. I’ve also been working on chrome at home and while the brass can hurt I do find I have better technique than on a slippery pole (although I feel it’s important to have exposure to both if you’d like to compete at some point.)

The only thing I’ve found that works when my skin is just plain too grippy on brass is water. I’ll literally just put some water out of my water bottle on a tshirt and rub my skin and it helps. I think it just rinses off the sweat or something. I don’t know. It works for me. most of the time, but only a bit. On a warm day there’s not too much to be done other than gritting teeth and bearing it.

As my lovely instructor likes to say though: “It hurts your skin? Good, that means you’ve got good grip!”
    If you’re losing skin then that’s probably a good indication that you’re either sliding into place or just need some more practice to toughen up that skin until it’s a beautiful leathery pole-danceresque hide!

• Cherished

November 27, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Thanks ladies for all of the suggestions.
    @Robin it’s a brass pole

I’ll definitely try extra stick grip at home to adapt and I guess I’ll change any slide moves I do to drops in order to get down the pole.

Are you ladies able to spin on a grippy static pole?
    @Veena I’ve seen your spins on static vid was all that done on your TG Xpole?

• Veena

Administrator
    November 27, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Yes cherished. I mostly work on static pole unless I state otherwise in the videos.

I’m guessing it was this video you were talking about? 🙂 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9B-OQLIa-o

• Cherished

November 27, 2013 at 10:44 pm

@Veena, Yes that’s the vid! I love it