StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pegasus instructional video?

• Pegasus instructional video?

Posted by janicehi on June 24, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Unsure if this is where I should post this but veena, I’m wondering if you could do a video on the Pegasus! It looks achievable after I got my Scorpio and Allegra but I’m still pretty lost when I went upside down! Thanks!

Veena replied 7 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • AllysonKendal

June 24, 2016 at 8:45 pm

I haven’t seen any tutorials for it but I have worked on it in class.

I have tried a bunch of times from Scorpio but personally I find the entry from brass monkey a lot easier. I do like the look from inside leg hang so I am going to keep working on it…

I do think Veena could probably come up with some good tips 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    June 24, 2016 at 9:21 pm

I need an example video, I don’t know names for most things 🙂

• janicehi

June 24, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Hi veena – thanks for the reply! See attached image for what I meant. I actually tried following Oliver’s tutorial but I’m not really going anywhere. I need slow mo! And I’m sure you can breakdown the move better 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    June 24, 2016 at 11:17 pm

I’m so not fond of teaching anything that places the shoulder in this position, only because if you don’t have both the mobility and strength injury is a real possibility! This would be an advanced move for that reason. I’ve actually done this move just recently while playing around (didn’t know the name) Also I had my bottom arm extended. I don’t know if I saved the footage from that practice…..

• Veena

Administrator
    June 24, 2016 at 11:23 pm

Not saying I won’t do it, btw, just gonna have to think about how I would make sure people know what their getting into!

• janicehi

June 25, 2016 at 12:33 am

Thanks for considering, veena. That shoulder position you were referring to – that’s kinda the same as the one in a closed Allegra? I’ve also tried that position in a pole “elbow plank” (which I can’t hold) …it definitely takes some getting used to!

• AllysonKendal

June 25, 2016 at 1:41 am

This was a not so great video of my entry from brass monkey which i found a lot more gentle on the shoulder/body… 🙂 http://www.instagram.com/p/BGZtbA9jLAk

• AllysonKendal

June 25, 2016 at 2:35 am

I know pegasus as this move… Where top hand/elbow is holding the back leg, and your move open in a front split than the other pic 🙂

• AllysonKendal

June 25, 2016 at 2:36 am

PS- thats not me, i just found it on google 🙂

• janicehi

June 25, 2016 at 6:11 am

I think you did the move very well! I could barely do bras monkey before getting preggie and now I’m just slowly easing back into poling. ..and I haven’t dare to try brass monkey yet! But since I could do Allegra…I thought why not try Pegasus? I do like Oliver’s entry into the move and how one of his legs was touching the pole for extra support. ..

• Veena

Administrator
    June 25, 2016 at 3:46 pm

In Allegra there’s no downward stress on the shoulder girdle (the leg grabbing arm shoulder) it’s just a stretch of the arm and Allegra’s I teach have you grab the foot with the free leg bent so there shouldn’t be much going on with that arm other than a stretch. Even this motion may not be suitable for everyone! So there’s very little risk of straining this gripping arm in Allegra if you needed to bailout of the move, you can just let go! However, with behind the back elbow grips, if you slip or need to release quickly chances of spraining or straining the shoulder is much higher because of the behind the shoulder rotation of the leg gripping arm. It’s likely the arm will be pulled UP towards the head and this could injure the rotator cuff. If you’re not using the lower arm enough you also place body weight on the shoulder girdle while its rotating towards the back of the body. Really the Allegra and Pegasus are not the same or interchangeable as far a level requirements. Please be cautious when choosing behind the back grips with shoulder rotation.

• janicehi

June 25, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Thanks for the explanation veena. So how can I beat prepare for the Pegasus? Shoulder stretches and shoulder strengthening exercises I guess? Or is there an in between move (between Allegra and Pegasus) I can work on in the interim?

• Veena

Administrator
    June 26, 2016 at 3:49 am

Yes, stretch and strengthen the shoulder, if you ever feel any strain or twinges of pain in this grip stop and don’t use it!!