StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions PS bottom loader poles

• PS bottom loader poles

Posted by smokinangel on January 25, 2010 at 3:44 am

Has anyone tried these? I’m looking at getting at 45mm pole, and would prefer to stick with platinum stages. I’m a little leery of the cover on the bottom loader, though, and I don’t think they sell the older style any more. The cover looks like it would catch on fingers and skin in inverted holds and drops, but please let me know if I’m wrong! I guess the other option is an X-Pole, but I don’t really like feeling the holes in the pole, and the switch to spinny is more difficult, but is it worth it anyway? I don’t have a problem with grip on stainless, so that’s not really a factor. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated =)

smokinangel replied 14 years, 6 months ago 8 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Charley

January 25, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I am in the same boat. I have not heard great things about the bottom loaders and I asked a PS rep if they still had old school poles and she doesn’t think they do.

PS Skinny’s are also about 2-3 weeks on shipping which i assume means they are back ordered slightly. I’m ordering a pole tomorrow and I am so torn. I get a great discount through X pole because I sell them, but I also think SS is harder to train on so will be a better investment.

• Foxy_Rei

January 25, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I’m not familiar with PS, but I’ve never felt the holes in my X-Pole, if that helps at all.

But yes, switching an X-Pole from static to spin you have to use an allen wrench and loosen 2 hex screws near the base. It’s harder than just pulling a pin out like PS, but it’s really not difficult to do overall. I’ve heard that with PS, though, the pin sometimes pops out on its own – I haven’t heard of people having problems with the hex screws on the X loosening on their own (as long as they’re tightened properly), but I could be wrong.

There’s always some give and take with these kinds of poles, though – multiple pieces and the option to switch between spin and static all in one removable pole is no easy task. I guess it just boils down to your priorities and preferences. They’re both good poles, you just have to decide if it’s more important to you to have a top loading pole like you want or have the easy spin/static switch like you want (as well as any other prefs that you didn’t mention).

Just my 2 cents – not trying to pressure you into the X or anything https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_tongue.gif Good luck with your decision!

• smokinangel

January 26, 2010 at 12:25 am

That does help, actually. =) I’ve only used the x-stage from x-pole, I haven’t tried their removable ones. On the x-stage the holes at the center connection are really rough… is it just a problem with that particular pole? If the removable ones don’t have them in the center or are smoother, that wouldn’t be too bad. Any idea how chrome compares to a well seasoned stainless?

• Veena

Administrator
    January 26, 2010 at 1:27 am

I was disappointed too when I saw the holes on the X pole, I didn’t know that was how they were made…. but to be honest, I have never even noticed them. My X stage is smooth too. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_sunny.gif I have had both the PS stainless steel and X pole Chrome and Titanium Gold finishes. I hated the Stainless finish, it took forever to warm up enough to use, LOVE the X pole Titanium gold, but I wouldn’t recommend it for the beginner/intermediate, its just too grippy, its great for advanced work. I think Chrome is the best of both worlds, has great grip once it is warmed and wont tear your skin or give you terrible pole burn like TG. Of course your still get pole burn… but I have had some bad ones on my TG. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif

• poledanceromance

January 26, 2010 at 4:00 pm

That does help, actually. =) I’ve only used the x-stage from x-pole, I haven’t tried their removable ones. On the x-stage the holes at the center connection are really rough… is it just a problem with that particular pole? If the removable ones don’t have them in the center or are smoother, that wouldn’t be too bad. Any idea how chrome compares to a well seasoned stainless?

I bet this is because the sections had been locked together and the openings were bent trying to pry them apart with the little rods they give you. I bought my x-pole used and one of the sets of holes is rough that way, but the good news is that can be fixed with a little very careful hammering.

Either way, the joints come from the factory very, very smooth. You’ll never notice the holes.

• smokinangel

February 9, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Apparently all you have to do to get a top loading platinum stages 45mm is to ask. Lol. That’ll teach me not to call customer service. When you order online just write "please make top loading" in the comment box. No extra charge. It should be here next week. Yay!

• Jenn

February 20, 2010 at 1:36 am

Do you know if that applies to the regular diameter poles as well? I ordered one of their poles on Ebay recently. The picture was that of the old style, but the invoice I rec’d was for the new extreme pole. I tried to call them to cancel the order as that is not the model I wanted, but they told me I have call back on Monday to speak to the manager. In the meantime, I hope they don’t ship out the wrong pole… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

• Reyn

February 20, 2010 at 4:52 am

I just got my bottom-loading pole. There’s probably an 1/8" separation/rise where the bottom plate covers over the pole, but it’s not been a big deal for me during my first workout on it.

• Jenn

February 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I just got my bottom-loading pole. There’s probably an 1/8" separation/rise where the bottom plate covers over the pole, but it’s not been a big deal for me during my first workout on it.

Do you have any troubles doing split grips or handsprings when having to grip the sleeve. Also, what is the sleeve made of?

• smokinangel

February 22, 2010 at 4:14 am

I would guess it applies to the regular diameter as well, but I’m not sure. Got back from vacation, opened my pole box (yay!) and they sent me the wrong pole! Gahhh. Someone else’s order. *sigh* I too will be making a call tomorrow. The one they sent is the bottom loader and I tried holding the bottom half of a split grip over the cover piece (without the pole put together) and it felt weird! It might be okay if you could be sure to position your grip always above or below the diameter change, but sliding over it wasn’t pleasant. If you don’t have high ceilings and will end up using the bottom of the pole, I’d go top loading. If you’re from SC and reading this… I might have your pole!

• Jenn

February 22, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Hey smokinangel,

I spoke with Kim this morning and she said that they will continue to carry the parts necessary to make poles top loading for awhile because so many studios still have those poles, so she was able to switch my order for me. My pole will probably ship tomorrow.
    I hope you are able to get yours sorted out! I had asked about a skinny brass pole but she said those are only available as bottom loading. What I really want is a skinny brass top loading pole. But oh well, We can’t have it all!

• BeautifulSun

February 23, 2010 at 3:21 pm

The studio I attend purchased a PS bottom loader and we’ve had to tap the cover aka "shaft" (as I call it) down and the silver color on it began to chip away. I own a PS top loader, named Bella, and I love her. I prefer to PS top loader.

Just venting a PS problem: Right now I’m still waiting to my PS Star Stand Alone Pole that we group purchased on November 23rd. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_evil.gif That is a bit much… We received a $150 discount for the purchase but I haven’t received my pole in almost 3 months!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_evil.gif Okay.. I’m off my soap box… Now back to you previously scheduled program https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• smokinangel

March 3, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Just so y’all know, if you request a top loading pole, they still also include the attachment to make it bottom loading. Two options for the price of one, not bad. I’ve been on and off the phone with them quite a bit over the last few weeks getting my order sorted out, and their customer service has been awesome. Everything is dealt with promptly and professionally. And yay for the 45mm pole! Whole new levels of pole burn though https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif

• Jenn

March 3, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Just so y’all know, if you request a top loading pole, they still also include the attachment to make it bottom loading. Two options for the price of one, not bad. I’ve been on and off the phone with them quite a bit over the last few weeks getting my order sorted out, and their customer service has been awesome. Everything is dealt with promptly and professionally. And yay for the 45mm pole! Whole new levels of pole burn though https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif

That’s good to know, thanks. Glad you got your issues sorted out. I have mixed feelings about their service however. I have been waiting for them to ship my pole for over a week now. They have told me twice that it would be shipped, 1st last tue then they said "early" this week, but I have yet to receive a shipment notice. If I don’t get anything tomorrow, I may just cancel the order.

• smokinangel

March 4, 2010 at 7:02 am

I never got a shipment notice, my pole just showed up. Don’t give up hope yet. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif