StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions PS Star Free Standing Pole

• PS Star Free Standing Pole

Posted by Morgan1 on February 23, 2010 at 12:25 am

Hey everyone! I was just wanting to know if anyone has had the opportunity to experience the Platinum Stages Star stand alone pole. My boyfriend isn’t crazy about my current X Pole being up in the living room, so it’s been put in the upstairs spare bedroom ( with a lower ceiling height). I’m considering selling the X pole now to invest in the PS free standing unit, as it will work with the height in the living room ( 8ft ceilings make X Stage too high I think) and I will be able to put it away when not in use. Has anyone tried dancing on one of these yet? I’m just a beginner, but at 5"10 I need good bit of space to move. Thanks for any input!
    Morgan

JBStarryEyedGirl replied 14 years, 5 months ago 12 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Jenn

February 23, 2010 at 12:53 am

I doubt anyone has tried it yet as the first shipment was made this week. The only person I know of that has rec’d one is Alena Downs. She does a 10 min video showing how to set it up which is on her YT account and also on the PS website. A friend of mine ordered hers back in October and hers isn’t due to be shipped until March 22. I’m guessing they are little backed up over there. But as soon as my friend gets hers, I am sure I’ll be over there to check it out. I’ll post my opinion of it when I give it whirl.

• Morgan1

February 23, 2010 at 1:32 am

Hey thanks…I didn’t realize it was such a new product. The original Platinum Stage looks good too, though I like the idea of a bit more room at the bottom with such a low platform. I saw the Alena Downs video, but she only assembles the unit and doesn’t demonstrate any dance moves. I would love to see someone in action to see how stable it is!
    Cheers! Morgan

• psychoholicslag

February 24, 2010 at 2:59 am

If you would still like to stay with an X, but are concerned about the stage pole height, you can easily cut down the pole tube with a hacksaw.

• Jenn

February 25, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Here is a vid Alena just posted demoing the new pole…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-h0Wvzn4aE&feature=player_embedded

• Morgan1

February 26, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Wow…looks pretty awesome! I look forward to seeing some reviews by other people…and I guess you can increase stability with some small sand bags if you have to…maybe if working with the extensions. This could be the perfect compromise for me and the boyfriend! Happy poling!
    xox M

• Rocknbody

March 17, 2010 at 3:27 am

I just got mine last week. It’s awesome for events and shows but very heavy,(bottom metal piece) I still feel scared to move on it because the feeling is a little different since it is free standing. I don’t think it’s a good idea if you are constantly moving it. In addition the stage pieces are very large and there are a lot of metal legs for underneath the stage. I’m trying to figure out how and where to store it and how to carry it in to events. If your going to leave it up then sure, but then you would be better off with the X pole. It sounds like you need something that can be moved. Hope that helps. I think it looks alot easier online.

• joni1

March 18, 2010 at 3:58 am

I got my star pole 2 weeks ago in brass and absolutely love it. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif It is very stable. I can do all my advance tricks on it with no problem. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif It does shake to the naked eye but honestly I do not feel it move when I’m inverted or cartwheel mount into straight edge into it. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_razz.gif This pole can support a person up to 250lbs doing the craziest advance move. You can also insert heavy metal rods inside the leg pieces for added weight if you so desire. I love that the large platform is very low to the ground and I can roll right out of it to do any floorwork. And I like the fact that it is just a little over 7 feet tall, so I am sure it will fit in any room ceiling.The base is heavy but that is what makes it stable. The bars connect easily to each other. I don’t find it heavy at all to move as the leg bars disconnect from each other and all the pieces goes into a carrying case with wheels weighing 100 lbs total. The pole can be unscrewed into 2 pole bars also. I am 102 lbs and I can manage to get everything in and out of my house/car by myself. I must admit that it takes me 5 minutes to assemble/disassemble it and not the 1 min they said it would take. Maybe later I’ll get more efficient at it. I’m also getting an XSTAGE for the pool parties on the deck as it is soooooooo tall(10-11 ft) and beautiful for outdoors. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Rocknbody

March 18, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Do you have any ideas how to pack it up for easier transportation yet?

• Morgan1

March 18, 2010 at 3:28 pm

FYI Joni1, when I emailed Platinum Stages for info about this model, they told me pole extensions would be available for it soon. Are you able to post any videos using it?. I’m very interested in this, however I’m 5’9 and 160 lbs. It would be so great to be able to travel with the pole!

• joni1

March 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Do you have any ideas how to pack it up for easier transportation yet?
    Right now the carrying case is not available to ship till the end of the month to canada. I don’t know if the US have gotten them. I was told everything can fit into one big sturdy canvas carrying case with wheels. Right now, I am using a similar large canvas bag with wheels that I have for my large folding camping kitchen. It fits everything inside it including the pole disconnected. I just lean it and lift it into my trunk.FYI Joni1, when I emailed Platinum Stages for info about this model, they told me pole extensions would be available for it soon. Are you able to post any videos using it?. I’m very interested in this, however I’m 5’9 and 160 lbs. It would be so great to be able to travel with the pole! Morgan1, I am so buying a brass extention when they come out with it. I also want the XSTAGE for the chrome finish and portability. Canadians are big on brass poles . Most of the dance clubs and pole schools here use mostly brass or stainless steel. I tried a chrome XSTAGE for the 1st time and the grip for me was quite good. I have a hard time gripping with my PS stainless steel. I’m just getting ready to leave for Cuba for 2 weeks but I will post a vid as soon as I get back. But if you go into platnium stages site, there is a demo of Alana dancing and doing advance trick on it. It is also on you tube. And she has the stainless steel model.

• MissJulie

March 19, 2010 at 12:41 am

I just got mine and put it together.

The base is very light, which makes it easy to carry. but the whole stage wobbles like a frisbee. It’s like poling on a moving boat. The pole itself you can probably push about a foot either way while in its base. The wobbling makes it very loud. I have carpeting, I dont know if that helps or hinders.. the triangle puzzle pieces of the stage move back and forth a lot- they’re not even interlocked.

Alana downs wasn’t wobbling nearly this much. Help https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_mad.gif

• joni1

March 19, 2010 at 4:24 am

I just got mine and put it together. I HATE it. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_thumbdown.gif

The base is very light, which makes it easy to carry. but super unstable. The whole stage wobbles like a goddamn frisbee. It’s like poling on a moving boat. The pole itself you can probably push about a foot either way while in its base. The wobbling makes it very loud. I have carpeting, I dont know if that helps or hinders. I can’t imagine anyone more than 110 lbs practicing on it. it is loud enough that as soon as my boyfriend hears me practicing on it, I’ll be banished from practicing with him in the house every again. the triangle puzzle pieces of the stage move back and forth a lot- they’re not even interlocked.

Does anyone else also f$*king hate it…

What are your plans to get around it.. fix it.. rebuild it yourself maybe? I plan on at least getting industrial strength velcro between the triangles. I dont know how I could ever return something of this size. AnHd I already sold my stage pole. And my ceilings will absolutely not support any normal non-stage pole, which is why I got this pile of….

Alana downs wasn’t wobbling nearly this much. Help https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_mad.gif
    Hi Julie, I noticed the same thing when I 1st got my pole, that the black platform moves about 1/4 of an inch . But the metal base is very stable as I have 200 lb guy practiced on it already with no problem. I also bought industrial strength velcro and applied it to the triangle panels along the edges and metal base which worked like a charm. But before this I made a vid of the black panel platform base moving and sent it to PS. The velcro eliminated all the noisy sound and movements of the floor platform panels. PS sent me an email that they are now fixing the problem . We received the 1st design productions. They are aware of the few problems and have fixed it with their new shipments. The hole on the black platform which inserts into the bases metal dowl was drilled 1/2 to close to the front of the pie. I complained and they are replacing all 8 of the panels with the correct hole to insert into the metal base. Therefore making the whole platform tight, eliminating the gaps, movements and noises. The velcro I added works like a charm in eliminating the noise and any movements but the gaps are still there which is ok if you pole barefoot. I can do all my advance tricks on it and mine is on carpet. I don’t notice the pole wobbling any more than any other stage pole. They all wobble a bit but i really don’t feel it even when I’m inverted. When I pull or push on mine, it moves only about an inch on either direction. 2 of my advance pole buddies loved this star stage pole after trying mine that they also ordered one. PS assured them that all the original design problems are now fixed and that if anyone received the original design, they will give you new panels. I’m now going to have all new extra floor panels. And my husband said it is easy to fix the original design himself by drilling a new hole 1/2 inch from the original hole which will make them all fit nicely together with no gaps, noise or movements. All I can suggest is call them to complain, demand replacement of the panels with new readjusted drilled hole for proper fitting. And in the mean time either use velcro or have someone drill you new holes. Also, I don’t use the metal clamp that it comes with as it has absolutely no function according to my handyman husband. If your pole wobbles as much as your saying , then maybe take a vid, send it to them and they can either replace it or ask for your money back.

• MissJulie

March 19, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Okay, I no longer hate this pole. We are good now. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif I knew I wasn’t doing something right in putting it together, I just couldn’t figure out what.

I think most of my issues have been resolved, thank god. I was worried yesterday. My boyfriend came home and put the thing together again late last night when I was at the gym. When I came back, the pole was still a lil wobbly itself but the base was entirely stable and it wasn’t making any noise. I had my other two friends over helping me put it together, and neither of us could figure it out, even though one of them is a studio owner and the other is a tool junkie. My boyfriend said he adjusted the bases because our floor was uneven. Honestly, I’m so horrible at putting stuff together on my own (all the furniture I bought from ikea two years ago has completely fallen apart) I didn’t understand half of what he was saying. He talked about getting some grommets and shivs (lord help me I dont know what those even are) and putting them between the triangles. My girls were recommending buying and cutting a heavy top to put over the plastic flooring, but I think we just need a piece of plywood on the bottom to negate the carpeting.

The pole itself is now only as wobbly as a lil minx, which is about an inch of wobble and still doesn’t distract me too much from playing it. Before I felt like it was going to boomerang me off. Now it is just similar to an X-stage. Much less than an R-pole and to be expected of a free standing pole. I’m still nervous to do an ayesha on it. Partly also because it is so skinny. Hopefully I will see someone else do it first. I do still hope they make extensions, because my ceilings are very very high and its frustrating not to have anywhere to practice my death lay.

I will say the brass is beautiful and the grip is great. I think it will convert me to skinny poles. And it is cheaper than an x-stage so I’m much relieved.

I still want to do some work on it.. plywood underneath and velcro between the triangles…. open to suggestions…but I dont think I’ll have to do any of the ridiculous project type work I was originally thinking like drilling holes in the triangles and filling them with sand or getting a heavy laminated top. Yeay.

I have been recommending PS to students for quite a while. I can definitely recommend this pole now.
    \

• Jenn

April 1, 2010 at 1:29 am

I have question for you ladies that have recieved your poles….

I am considering buying one, but I am concerned with the way the two poles pieces screw together at the top. See, I am left handed and so most of my spins are counter clockwise. I am worried that in static mode, I might unknowingly unwind the top piece and send myself flying into the wall! Have either of you tried doing any extensive left handed spins? Could you foresee this being a problem for someone such as myself?

Also do either of you have a skinny brass? I thought those would be available but they are not listed on the website..

• StellarMotion

April 5, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Miss Julie, Bertysbooboo peforms a couple Ayshas with variations in this new video on her new Star Standalone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBCt_C2EI2c

Wow I never knew about this pole before and now I’m really interested! I wonder how soon the extra extention piece(s) are going to be available? I’d love to do outdoor poling on a 10ft. brass pole.

Does anyone know the maximum height for X-stage?

Page 1 of 2