• hannimator

July 20, 2016 at 7:46 am

That’s fantastic! Looks really good 🙂

• LatinPoler

July 20, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Thank you ladies!! You really boosted my confidence to try this 🙂

• dustbunny

July 21, 2016 at 3:31 am

@latinpoler I’m so glad you nailed that butterfly. Like everyone has already said the more you do it the more confidence you will build and one day you won’t even think about it anymore!

@phoenix and @mystical I absolutely teach “safer falling” practices but it’s kind of hard to explain here without writing a novel. It does not mean you just let go and fall. 😨 I would agree that that sounds like a horrible idea. What it does means, in a general sense, is to have and practice reasonable emergency exits…slowly, not with the help of gravity. It builds muscle memory that will take over without you having to think about it in the moment. As anyone who has fallen knows, you don’t have time to think about it when it happens. The other thing it means is to practice habits that will help limit injuries if and when a fall happens. Things like tucking chin to chest as opposed to looking at the ground (so you don’t smash your face and break your neck) as well as not locking your elbows when you put your hands/arms out to save you (so you don’t dislocated your elbows or break bones). These techniques and more are proven in the gymnastics world to be important for building confidence and injury prevention. ☺

• hannimator

July 21, 2016 at 6:25 am

@dustbunny that is exactly what I was trying to get across but I didn’t word it quite as well XD we got taught to fall safely in karate before we were allowed to throw or be thrown, and in climbing you get taught to fall safely before you can even get on the wall, so to me it just made sense to bring that across to pole.

• Baudelaire

August 1, 2016 at 3:13 am

Just caught up on this thread. I’ve had a few falls in my time and set out to find the best way to train myself to fall safely. Like @dustbunny says, if you learn to control the fall safely, you will have the muscle memory and awareness for when it counts. I wrote about what I learned on my blog – https://melnutter.com/2016/04/04/what-happens-if-you-fall/
    and have also talked about overcoming fears
    https://melnutter.com/2016/02/28/turning-towards-fear/

So glad @LatinPoler that you are continuing to improve!!

• travelerunderstars4916

August 1, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Great article thank you!

• LatinPoler

August 1, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Thank you! Really interesting, thanks for sharing. PS: I managed to do the real butterfly last week, but now I’m fealing a little fearful again. I went to class and I had a headache, so I was fealing terrible in my inversions so I backed off. At least now I know that I am capable of doing it, even if my mind makes me think differently sometimes…

Page 2 of 2