StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Opinions on Rihanna’s Pour it up (Explicit) video

• Lilyxxx

October 4, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I know one of the pole dancers' names is Candace Cane, I believe she's a KOD dancer, and her pole work is AMAZING! I was only disappointed in the video because I expected to see her making a better appearance doing some of her cooler tricks. She's on instagram: sweetmscandace and she has some pole clips up.

As far as the stripping thing goes…. Would there be pole dancing without the strippers? Showing strippers pole dancing in a pop music video doesn't "undo" anything about non-stripper pole dancing: strippers were there first. I wonder how THEY feel about a bunch of people jacking their art and then griping about the "stigmas" and oh Rihanna wasn't thinking about the "pole community" when she made that video. Of course she wasn't. The song is about strippers. What do good strippers do? Shake their ass and dance on a pole. Be grateful to the strippers and stop the whining. xo

• Runemist34

October 4, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I'm really enjoying this topic 🙂 You guys have some really good arguments and some very interesting points to make.

Mine may not be so insightful, but… watching that video, I actually had a hard time watching or finding the pole dancers, let alone figuring out what the heck they were doing! Some really awesome, advanced moves that are basically lost in the visual effects and the focus on Rhianna herself. I also found myself totally confused… why would she have fingernails on the outsides of her gloves? What the heck kind of top is that to wear, especially with those awful cut-off jean shorts? Why does she have a giant throne in a big, watery room? Why is that sort of booty popping considered "sexy"? It just looks violent! If I was a guy, I would fear for my manhood, thinking a girl would do that.

Soo… yeah, I honestly don't think that our "reputation" will be tarnished by this one. I agree with Lilyxxx! Where would pole dancing be without strippers? They invented it! That's like saying "Do you think Burlesque does bad things to the strippers reputation?" Burlesque created strippers, who then got on a pole and made pole dance, and now we're doing it! And we love it! Thanks, strippers! You're awesome!

That's… basically how I see that, lol

• Cherished

October 4, 2013 at 6:38 pm

For myself I'm a Rihanna fan and I love Nicole Williams of Allure Pole dance (whose in the vid) 

I don't think it sets back pole dancing. In the song she's singing about strip clubs which she regularly visits them on her down time. I think the video did suit the context of the song since it's supposed to represent stripping/strippers/clubs and not pole fitness.

Also on Rihanna's channel they did take the time to put up Nicole William's audition clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5yInyWTzPo which is now over 1 million views and exposes a wide audience to a skilled pole demo which has a lot of positive feedback in the comments section. So I think the video actually ended up benefiting the pole community.

• BadNewzPoleDanca

October 4, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Just my two cents…

I'm confused by people who wanted the video to focus more on the pole dancers..it's about Rhianna.  Kudos to her because she does execute some nice (though not advanced) pole moves in there.  (I believe she's the chick with the hat on.)  Even moving around the pole with some attitude is something to be proud of.  If she wants to demonstrate the proper way to twerk, let her!  I didn't think it was a big deal…I mean it goes with the song.

Congrats to Nicole and the other dancers..they did a good job.

And yeah, that bra thingy she wore was really cool!

• Carrington

October 4, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I love RhiRhi. Leave that girl alone and let her do her thing. I believe poling is an art of self expression and yes it can be sexy as hell. I have never felt more alive in my own skin since I’ve been poling and its only been a few months. So I say….pour it up… pour it up!

• Black Orchid

October 4, 2013 at 11:01 pm

If I had to pick a music video that really repped for pole dancing and was shot well and had a great song etc I would pick Diplo's "Set It Off". This video is not quite on that level for me but other than that I thought it had a lot of pretty visual moments. I liked the outfits, the pole dancers and yes, the strippers. There are pole dancers in strip clubs! The song is about going to a strip club! I don't think people are going to get any kind of "wrong impression" from this video. And also, YES to everything Veena said. And YES to the fact that the "making of" and Nicole's audition videos are probably what are more valuable to us as far as driving students to studios. Win-win situation. PS After our student showcases we GO to the strip clubs and have a good time watching the dancers and playing on the poles. No one is confused about the difference. No shame in the game.

• Anya123

October 4, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Poling is always going to be stereotyped as slutty and associated with stripping/strip clubs, always.Just depends on if someone who is judging is ignorant to the fact that there are different kinds of pole dancing.Before I got into poling and actually seeing youtube videos of competitions or people doing it for fitness i thought that’s all a pole was used for was in strip clubs. Rihanna’s video didn’t set back anything. Until someone like me actually researches or knows someone they know does poling for fitness that’s all they will know..

• PhnixxRed

October 4, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Ninja Sarah, the pictures and incident you’re referring to is Carnival. It’s a huge thing in the Caribbean and it’s common for women to dress provocatively. There are also mini festivals like this in the USA, but they don’t have as much notoriety and recognition as Carnival. There was one a few weeks ago in New York and I wish I could have been there to experience it.
    I was expecting more out of the video as far as the clips, but it is a music video at the end of the day. I hope that the dancers’ audition videos are released! I’d love to see their talents!

• Phoenix Hunter

October 5, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I liked her bra, I liked the booty popping in the water. song was ok. I thought it was kinda cool to see a female singer display pole dancers in her video. Usually it's just the men who have the pole dancers in their video as they are throwing money at them. I think alot of female singers won't have pole dancing in their video because the dancers would outshine them. Rhianna doesn't seem to be afraid of that, she seems to celebrate the sexiness of other women. She strikes me as the kind of woman who goes to strip clubs and has a good time. Stripping is a part of pole dancing and we should not deny that. There is nothing wrong with being sexy. People are gonna think what they think until they know better. Her video is not gonna undo anything. Did I mention I liked her bra!!! yes I did. I love it!

• platformsanddubstep

October 5, 2013 at 7:02 pm

It absolutely will tie pole dancing to stripping, but as many said, sexuality is the purpose of the video. I so wish we could have seen more dancing but I'll take what I can get with pole in the media 🙂 I would always dance to this in the club… where was my water at… the water twerk is everything! 

• blondebird

October 5, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Think the video does no harm. We should embrace all kinds of pole dancing as there is no style out there which is bad! I don’t think it brings it down as it was already out there! The song isn’t one of her best.

• Danielle Tillie

October 5, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I just really didn’t like the song much so I’m sure that affected my opinion. I did like what I saw on the pole though. My opinion regarding pole being advertised in the media showcasing its strip club roots has changed the longer I’ve been pole dancing. When I first started things like this would nearly anger me. That reaction stemmed from newly having to deal with the stigma of being a pole dancer. I have a much tougher skin now when it comes to that so I don’t care anymore. Let’s just celebrate all that pole had to offer, strip clubs and all. 🙂 Bring it on, haters.

• CapFeb

October 6, 2013 at 6:42 am

HOLD UP. Stop the thread. 

Anyone notice. Hands free titanic! Caught on tape! 2:49! 

Also; I hate this song. So couldn't care less about the music video. But I like that there are pole dancers. DOING TITANIC. What up. 

• OopseyDaisey

October 6, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I really like a lot of her songs, but this one is unmemorable at best. The people who actually believe the lyrics of this song (strippers are all rolling in $$ and twerk 24/7) probably believe that women live to please men and pole dancing is only a tool to be sexy for men. The rest of world will see past that and know it’s just using sexy images to sell a record. I honestly don’t think that this one video is going to change anyone’s mind either way…heck, cop shows on TV have more strip club scenes than this.

• Mummyof3

October 7, 2013 at 1:26 am

Well I just hope Rihanna was impressed by some of those pole moves! She could have at least attempted a Fireman spin!

Page 2 of 5