StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions One Billion Rising

• One Billion Rising

Posted by MrsNaughtywed on January 3, 2013 at 10:37 am

Hey fellow pole dancers? Is anyone familar with the One Billion Rising global movement? 

For those of you who aren't familar with it; 

ONE IN THREE WOMEN ON THE PLANET WILL BE RAPED OR BEATEN IN HER LIFETIME.

ONE BILLION WOMEN VIOLATED IS AN ATROCITY

ONE BILLION WOMEN DANCING IS A REVOLUTION

On http://www.vday.org/’s 15th Anniversary, 2.14.13, we are inviting ONE BILLION women and those who love them to WALK OUT, DANCE, RISE UP, and DEMAND an end to this violence. ONE BILLION RISING will move the earth, activating women and men across every country. V-Day wants the world to see our collective strength, our numbers, our solidarity across borders.

What does ONE BILLION look like? On February 14th, 2013, it will look like a REVOLUTION.

ONE BILLION RISING IS:

A global strike
    An invitation to dance
    A call to men and women to refuse to participate in the status quo until rape and rape culture ends
    An act of solidarity, demonstrating to women the commonality of their struggles and their power in numbers
    A refusal to accept violence against women and girls as a given
    A new time and a new way of being

Doesn’t this just feel so right??????? I’m sure many of us have our own stories, or know someone who has been a victim of sexual violence. We live a rape culture where sexual violence towards women is tolerated and a social norm. THIS IS effed UP! I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS ANY MORE! Sexual violence is so tolerated in society that even when I was sexually assaulted, I couldn’t even admit that I was sexually assaulted until yesterday! Yep, yesterday. And this happened over 8 years ago! Because society taught me to point out all my mistakes leading up to the assault so I blamed myself entirely so that it wasn’t even sexual assault to me to me in my mind up until yesterday. This jackass probably doesn’t even realize what he did was sexual assault! And this is the biggest problem in society: some rapist don’t even know they are rapists for godsakes!

Look at the stigma pole dancers still face today! I believe the stigma we face is pre-violence. Well think about it…! Strippers are treated like they are subhuman without any rights and if something happens to them it’s their own fault! This stigma makes sexual violence towards them tolerated! Pre-Violence! Strippers have little to no protection when they are at work. Well strippers are human beings too so they also do deserve rights and protection and free from violence. As pole dancers we may also be blamed for our own safety. How about raising a new generation of men who will respect strippers? Not dehumanize them!

But anyhoo, One Billion Rising just feels so right. So my plans are to create a pole dance video dedicated to this whole global movement and tag the hell out of it with #1billonrising. We can post it anywhere, youtube, veena, anywhere.  I would love to see other pole dancers participate. Who’s joining me? http://naughtygirlfitness.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Check out this website for more information. http://onebillionrising.org/

phedre replied 11 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • AliciaPolerina

January 3, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Sounds great! I’m in! 🙂

• phedre

January 4, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Count me in.