StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions New approach to tendon injuries

• NicciWink

April 4, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Thanks for all the info everyone. I just want my old wrists back. I’ve been poling for 3 years prior with no problems til now. Massage seems to be the best therapy for all pole related issues. But regardless of the ouch, every area has become stronger than before.

• chimponaut

April 5, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Thank you soooo much for the advice Veena!!! I've been so frustrated as my ortho has been sort of back and forth on what I should do. I definitely feel much better when using my arms then when letting them rest so I was wondering what strengthening exercises I could do. I have signed up for a year of your lessons so I will definitely start right on the ones that you suggested!!! As for the heat, how often do you recommend that I use heat and for how long? And with the massage are you actually massaging the actual tendon?? I have tried that and it really hurts so do I continue and over time it hurts less? Thanks again 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    April 5, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Chimponaut…if it was a new injury then Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, would be needed for 48-72 hs. But it sounds like this has been an on going issue. For myself, if something was chronic and on going like my bicep issue. I found this worked for ME..

Rest..as soon as the injury begin acting up I would rest for at least a few days, still using the arm but not doing anything I knew would aggravate it.

After rest…Heat for 10-20 mins and then follow with stretches. I did this at least once a day for a while. Try using the stretching lessons for the forearms.

Once I was feeling better, I started with conditioning exercises using isometric and eccentric movements. You could try using the exercises for forearms in the lessons here. I added massage when I started the conditioning. You don't need to massage the tendon, but rather along the triceps and forearm muscles. Don't forget to stretch after your exercises too! 

Once your back on the pole always stretch the forearms after every pole session and even throughout your session if you can.

Most important…listen to your body, if your not improving then something isn't working and needs to be adjusted.

• chimponaut

April 5, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Thanks for your advice!!! And yes it is an old injury (about 8 months or so). Ironically the thing that hurts my elbows the most is holding my youngest son. He is very strong (and turning 2 on Thursday) so he tends to fight being held and almost immediately after holding him my arms hurt for the rest of the day. I find the days I do anything aerial they hurt a lot less as I am aware that I am "using" them so I do a few of the stretches my dr actually showed me (before,during and after), take motrin and ice etc. It's just the "rest" days when I am doing my every day activities that I find that I tend to slack as, I am not as aware of how much I am using them or when until it's to late! I guess I will have to start paying more attention to what I do on my rest days and make sure I follow through and stay consistent on those days as well 🙂

• smalltownboy

April 6, 2011 at 3:55 am

I am currently suffering with “Tennis Elbow”. It has been painful for at least 6 weeks and I think it was caused by a recent decorating project which involved painting the ceiling on my hall, stairs and landing with a brush.

I currently have to wear a double layer compression sleeve that extends from axilla to wrist and have been using topical anti inflammatory cream and at times taking oral analgesia and anti inflammatory medication.

Thankfully it is getting better but I am still reluctant to trust it when it comes to pole moves. A sudden pain could lead to loss of grip at the wrong time and fall from my pole could leave me with a greater injury than this.

What this has shown me is the importance of working both sides in pole work.

We all have a dominant side and I am sure I am not the only person guilty of favouring this side when it comes to learning pole moves. When I try moves using the other side and find I can’t do it easily I revert to using my dominant side. Now I am in the situation of having learn all my moves a second time…..it’s almost as if I have never poles before!

The moral of my story is…

Work both sides of the pole to make sure you develop your ability, flexibility and strength equally…..it will also double your choices when it comes to getting in and out of moves.

• smalltownboy

April 6, 2011 at 3:55 am

I am currently suffering with “Tennis Elbow”. It has been painful for at least 6 weeks and I think it was caused by a recent decorating project which involved painting the ceiling on my hall, stairs and landing with a brush.

I currently have to wear a double layer compression sleeve that extends from axilla to wrist and have been using topical anti inflammatory cream and at times taking oral analgesia and anti inflammatory medication.

Thankfully it is getting better but I am still reluctant to trust it when it comes to pole moves. A sudden pain could lead to loss of grip at the wrong time and fall from my pole could leave me with a greater injury than this.

What this has shown me is the importance of working both sides in pole work.

We all have a dominant side and I am sure I am not the only person guilty of favouring this side when it comes to learning pole moves. When I try moves using the other side and find I can’t do it easily I revert to using my dominant side. Now I am in the situation of having learn all my moves a second time…..it’s almost as if I have never poles before!

The moral of my story is…

Work both sides of the pole to make sure you develop your ability, flexibility and strength equally…..it will also double your choices when it comes to getting in and out of moves.

• stoneycook

April 6, 2011 at 9:47 am

@https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/bc36cd42-d89d-11df-ab19-12313b090e12 – I completely agree with the heat and stretch aspect especially if we have any muscle tear as we need to gradually re-lengthened the muscle to avoid a pull again with return to poling because it will have healed in a shortened state.

• laura salazar

April 13, 2011 at 7:08 am

Would like to read the article that is refered to in the New York Times, does anybody have such article? I tried to look for it but no luck

• sputnik258732

October 7, 2017 at 3:39 am

Hi Veena! Sad to say that I’ve been struggling with a bicep tendon injury too 🙁 i wasn’t seeing much improvement until I took up your tips and started to stretch, massage and applying heat and the pain has gotten much better!! As the exercises my PT prescribed are still causing pain, could you share some of the strengthening exercises that you did? Thanks so much!!

• sputnik258732

October 7, 2017 at 3:40 am

Love the new app by the way!!! 💖

• Veena

Administrator
    October 7, 2017 at 3:51 am

Let’s see what I remember…. I know as mentioned heat was very helpful (as long as you don’t have swelling, I didn’t. Exercise wise, I found doing only the negative half of a bicep curl (palm up, no twist) was very helpful. For example, start with the weight is at your shoulder and you SLOWLY lower it down. If you experience pain anywhere along the way stop just before that point, you should be able to go a little farther soon. I know when I would pole I used the injured arm but mostly in an isometric way so not pulling with the bicep but using it a lot at a 90 degree angle instead. Lots of stretching and massage!

• sputnik258732

October 8, 2017 at 2:48 am

Thanks so much Veena, will try these out, and keep up with the heat and massage :)) should I also do the negative versions of the shoulder conditioning exercises in the app..?

• Veena

Administrator
    October 8, 2017 at 3:40 am

You can do the should conditioning as normal as long as it doesn’t cause pain.

• sputnik258732

October 8, 2017 at 6:19 am

Ok got it, thanks so much! 😘😘

Page 2 of 2