StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions New Milestone: First Pole Move that Actually Scared Me – “Basic” Butterfly

• StrangeFox

July 31, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Gah! Hannimator – that’s me, too! I have issues with split grip spins and up until a couple of months ago I had to really concentrate when I did them. My elbow hyper-mobility is much better now but still causes problems if I’m really tired. I’m glad to hear things will get better. Actually, I also have hyper-mobile shoulders…or at least I used to before pole. In a few short months my shoulders have gone from being hyper-mobile to just plain mobile as I’ve gained muscle. Pole means no more fun escape artist party tricks, but it also means no more disconcerting “catching” sensation in my shoulders. 😀

You’re right about slow and steady winning the race! If split grip was easy for me I’d be doing it constantly. I love the look of split grip spins and moves, but because they’re so much work for my core and my elbows I always keep it slow with those types of moves. I hear too much split grip can cause injuries, too.

• StrangeFox

August 1, 2017 at 3:54 am

Okay…I (sort of) got it but it’s quite an ugly butterfly! Haha! I’m waaaay too scared to extend my back leg any further yet. I’m going to post a pic in a couple of months and it’s going to look way better. I promise. It’s a lot easier to get into this from gemini and I feel way more secure. I love gemini so much… It makes me feel so safe and cool.

Ps. You probably can’t tell from the pic but I’ve got my hand at the very bottom of the pole, wedged between the crash mat. Any tips to prevent sliding down the pole while doing this one?

• Veena

Administrator
    August 1, 2017 at 4:04 am

Yay!! Keep working on the caterpillar, this gives you everything you need to hold the position.

• StrangeFox

August 1, 2017 at 4:17 am

Will do, Veena! 🙂 I actually like the caterpillar a lot better than the butterfly (I think it looks a lot cuter, and it’s easier to flow into than butterfly). Thanks so much for all of your help!

• AerialJoy

August 7, 2017 at 11:25 pm

@ StrangeFox One thing that really helped me feel more comfortable with the split grip butterfly is making a gun grip with my bottom hand. This included pointing my pointer finger down towards the floor and pressing the heel of my bottom hand into the pole. Keeping my bottom arm engaged and palm pressed into the pole allowed me to feel much more stable/confident.

• StrangeFox

August 8, 2017 at 12:34 am

Thanks hmarshall! Last week in class we did a review of this move and I was able to get into it much easier on both my good side and my dork side. My instructor teaches this move with the “gun grip” and I found that was the only way I was able to get my arm stable without hyper-extension. 🙂 I’m feeling much, much better about the butterfly after getting comfy in the caterpillar.

• AerialJoy

August 8, 2017 at 12:46 am

@StrangeFox Awesome, I am glad you are feeling more comfortable with it and finding a safe progression 🙂

Page 2 of 2