StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Nemesis Move Defeated?

• Nemesis Move Defeated?

Posted by Serzi on March 8, 2016 at 1:30 am

For half a century now (okay, just since I started poling) I wasn’t able to get the whole elbow-stand tripod thing. I could do handstands and crazy shit I never believed I was capable of, but the elbow-stand never felt right so I would always bail. I tried taking advice, repeatedly watched lessons on how to do it, confidence boosters, practice, practice, practice…forget it, wasn’t happening for me.

Low and behold, been about four years since I last tried it, ta-fuckin’-da! It’s like I never had an issue and have been popping elbow-stands since birth. Wth? Only thing I hate is the, idk, scrunchiness of the move. It def looks better than it feels, especially on the metal of my X-stage. Still, yay, go me. Wonder how long this will last, but for now WHOO-HOO! Ridiculously basic move I could not get is now mine!

Serzi replied 8 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    March 8, 2016 at 3:28 am

Yay! It’s always exciting when this happens and it can come from finally understanding a small change in technique, having build up the strength needed or having thought about it for so long that you mentally worked it out!

The scrunchiness can be combated by pushing through the shoulders, if you remember the up and down scapula exercises think of it as that type of motion. Understanding this will help keep pressure off the head and neck and build the strength needed for forearm stands!

• Veena

Administrator
    March 8, 2016 at 3:30 am

Also, it may be considered a “basic” move but it surly isn’t EASY so no reason to feel like you “should” have gotten it before.

• Serzi

March 8, 2016 at 4:04 am

Thank you, Veena! I suppose that my frustration w/ this move doesn’t stem from the alleged “basic”-ness of it, but the amount of effort and time I poured into it. For it to come about so sudden and unexpectedly when I was barely trying is just like “Huh…?”. It’s been a perplexing journey to this one, that is certain.

Thank you for the advice, I remember a lesson of yours which covered this stand and it was the most helpful. Still, the overall awkwardness of balance and pressure is what held me back. I kept approaching it with an expectation of how it should feel…kinda like handstands which was not the case. Entirely different targeted areas that I can feel in my core as opposed to the handstands, idk the specific anatomic terms. It makes sense, but never fully knew what to do until I got it. Thanks again, I love progress no matter how long it takes. 😀