StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Need some Shoulder Mount Tips!

• Need some Shoulder Mount Tips!

Posted by AllysonKendal on September 16, 2015 at 8:32 am

Ok, so recently I noticed I find my collarbone tender when I pull through my shoulder mount.

I will say I do NOT feel like I’m putting too much pressure on my collarbone. I don’t feel like I’m banging it, or I’m going to break it. It’s not visibly bruised, but it feels somewhat sore. It’s mild, it’s there.. and sometimes makes me feel like I don’t want to shouldermount that day. And that sucks, cause I love shoulder mounting!!!

I do scoop my body into a C-shape… but find thats not really when it occurs. It’s when I pull through to get my stomach to the pole. Maybe someone has a technique that helped them with this? For pulling through into both crucifix and brass monkey.

I do not feel like it used to feel this way!!! It’s possible I feel it because I’ve been training more (very possible)… and it’s possible it’s because I’ve lost a decent amount of weight… (It’s funny because my husband and I always comment how I always seem to lose weight first in my face/neck/chest first then everything else has to catch up.)

It’s similar to the feeling of doing floorwork a lot without kneepads when you have boney knees. It’s not like the worst thing ever, but it’s not pleasant… and if I can avoid it, I’d like that!!

I’m watching Veena’s Shouldermount and Super Shouldermount videos to see if I missed a tip that might help… But I’d thought I’d everyone here too.

This is just a pic of my shoulder when engaged. It’s kind of hard to capture.. but I feel like it sticks out a ton. Now that I’m typing this up I’m wondering if once I get my legs on the pole I should try and relax my shoulder…. hm.

CD Hussey fka Jivete replied 8 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

September 16, 2015 at 4:24 pm

As always a video helps the most. Generally if you are rolling over your collar bone it is a technique issue more than a bony collar bone.

Do you have the same issue when doing a reverse shoulder mount (shoulder dismount)?

• AllysonKendal

September 16, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Thanks Chem. I always enjoy hearing from you. This is the only video I could find on my phone at the moment… https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9o7fb1vh9ysrs6/video%20sep%2013%2C%207%2018%2025%20pm.mov?dl=0

I would say I do not have problem in the reverse as much cause I don’t have to slide really. I start more on my trap already if that makes sense.

• michaelaarghh

September 16, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Your collarbone shouldn’t really be making any contact with the pole in a shoulder mount. With the initial pull, the pole should be on your trap and shoulder, and then if you go into crucifix, you should sort of push away from the pole once your legs are safely on.

• AllysonKendal

September 16, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Thanks. It’s definitely that I’m not pushing away enough. It’s that transition after I get my legs on.

I actually paid more attention to the feeling. Like I said it’s not a bruise or anything. It’s more like pole burn, or skin pain/tenderness. It’s worse on brass. It’s not a huge issue but I’d like to remedy it if I can switch things up.

I guess I was always focused on scooping until I get my legs to the pole… But never really had a technique after that. I’m actually thinking that I need to go from that rounded scoop to almost the opposite. I think I’m staying rounded too long and that’s adding to the issue.

• AllysonKendal

September 16, 2015 at 5:43 pm

It’s weird because I never remember it being an issue before…

• Veena

Administrator
    September 21, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Have you worked it out yet? I’m just reading this now….are you possibly sliding down before you fully grip the pole with the legs. As in are you making sure to stay in that C shape until the legs have fully gripped? In the clip it almost looked like you slide then grip with the legs, but it might just be the angle.

• AllysonKendal

September 21, 2015 at 7:17 pm

You know what Veena, I think that’s it! I didn’t make the connection but my legs and hamstrings had been pretty tight and I think I was kind of cheating it and sliding so I it was easier to get them to the pole!

A few days rest has me feeling and shoulder mounting much more comfortably

• zoilife6233

September 22, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Allyson my collarbone is sticking out too and wasn’t hurting myself on shoulder mount but on a reverse one from caterpillar to the point that I started to avoid it by all means. But not recently as I tried to do it with gripping aid. Its not that I was slippery there it just tells my brain where to have my placement and curl myself before I kiss the pole with my collarbone. Still it is a scary one for me

• CD Hussey fka Jivete

September 22, 2015 at 2:44 pm

I think practicing dragon flags on a flat surface like a weight bench is a great way to develop the strength and feel for shoulder mounts without the scariness of the actual mount.

You can search on YouTube but here’s a video of my first successful attempt at a flat-ish flag. This is my favorite ab exercise so far. Excuse the cheesy video. I was competing against a friend.:-) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=onIIV6BD1eU