StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions NY Pole Studio?

• NY Pole Studio?

Posted by yogabeachbabe on January 28, 2009 at 2:26 am

To all the NYC Polers out there:
    My friend is looking for a good studio that offers beginner classes. I don’t think the location matters too much (uptown, downtown, etc) but I think that some of her friends are on the reluctant side so I’d love to direct them towards an encouraging, supportive type teacher. None of them are looking to dance professionally, but rather, have some fun and try something new while getting a great work out.
    Thanks in advance!

Fleur replied 15 years, 6 months ago 7 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • SaschaPoles

February 5, 2009 at 12:54 am

hmm, im not from nyc so i cant be much help- but i bet if they googled it they’d find some good stuff!

• Judy Jovanelly

January 30, 2010 at 8:39 pm

sFactor might be the kind of environment she would like. http://www.sfactor.com; there is also new york pole dancing. http://www.nypd.com there is also shokra studio in nyc, but for some reason i can’t pull the website on google at the moment
    all the best good luck to you friend !!!!!!

• SandyBrown

January 30, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I think S Factor, NYPD, and Shockra all have an intro class and your friends can take before committing to a level/package. I would suggest your friends check out each studio a few times to see which one vibes with them the most. I’ve never been to S Factor, but I think they have levels (similar to the studio I was at prior to moving to NYC) and you may have to hurry and sign up when the levels are open again (someone please confirm this). I know nothing about Shockra except that you may be able to do inversions at an earlier stage of your poling.

I go to NYPD, and there are two main pole classes: Climb & Spin and Climb & Invert. You’re recommended to tale Intro to Pole prior to Climb & Spin, but you don’t have to. Unlike S Factor and (I think) Shockra, you have to test into Climb & Invert in order to start the more intermediate/advanced tricks and spins that are not taught in Climb & Spin. Also, spins, transtions, and the like won’t be taught in Climb & Invert because the instructors know that if you passed the test, you were able to do majority of the testing items to pass. Also at NYPD, there’s no pressure for people to quickly sign up for additional classes after Intro to Pole. You’re even given a discount card to be used when you decide to buy classes.

• amy

January 31, 2010 at 1:00 am

sfactor has new sessions that start every 4 weeks. they have intros almost every day. if they are very into tricks i would not recommend sfactor, but they will become much more self-confident, stronger, and become slow and luscious movers. the emphasis there is on quality of movement and making the dance your own. i think for women who are not as athletic, or without dance backgrounds, this can be a much easier (less intimidating!) way to start.

shockra has open pole for beginners/intermed and also sessions. i haven’t taken sessions there but the beginner/intermed could be intimidating for first timers or beginners. marlo teaches beautiful combinations and spins and is absolutely inspiring to watch.

i would recommend taking intros in as many places as possible and seeing how they like each studio. there is also body&pole run by lian tal which just opened; the teachers there are all from crunch’s advanced classes. lian is a really sweet and gracious woman but i have never taken class there.

• Charley

January 31, 2010 at 1:16 am

Def have her check out NYPD because Wendy is about the best teacher I have ever encountered! She is SAFE, knowledable and will not progress you too fast. Plus her climb and spin classes are also a very good work out, Check out her intro!

• Fleur

January 31, 2010 at 2:01 am

I would also suggest Lian Tal’s studio: Body and Pole. She is a real sweetheart and I think her prices may be more affordable. http://www.bodyandpole.com