StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions My weird hips

• My weird hips

Posted by Mindy4pole on October 6, 2010 at 4:30 am

There is something in my hip system that is weird. Even though I’m a massage therapist, I haven’t been able to figure it out. Basically, my legs turn out. So, when I do a move like butterfly, my free leg drops back at a weird angle instead of straight back. I’ve gotten my hubby to position my hips when I am sitting with one knee on the floor, and one knee up, and it is painful to have my hips straight, especially on my left side.

I think this weird turn has made some pole moves easier. Pole sits are just like normal sitting (they’ve never hurt), and I was able to do laybacks very early on. But it’s getting really old!! I can’t do a front split worth anything. I know how to do the body positioning for Jades, but my leg won’t drop back enough for it to look decent at all. I have a crooked butterfly. Errr… I also have pretty limited range of motion when I try to bring my knees to my chest. My hamstrings are certainly very tight, but I think they are the result, not the cause of the problems.

SO — any ideas on how I can fix it? I’m fairly sure that a physical therapist could diagnose the issue and give me exercises to help, but would that require me to go through my doctor? And what would I say? This is affecting my pole dancing, and I need help?? I’ve thought about massage therapists, but the hip is such a complex system, and I’m not sure I would be able to find one specialized enough to help me. Do chiropractors do hip alignment?? Any other ideas?

Thanks so much!!
    Mindy

Prncsopowr replied 13 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • keex

October 6, 2010 at 4:43 am

If I’m understanding correctly, it seems as if your hip flexors (especially your tensor fascia latae) and lateral rotators of your hip are tight which can be rectified through consistent flexibility training and massage therapy to those muscles to decrease hypertonicity.

• Prncsopowr

October 7, 2010 at 1:13 am

The other thing you may want to think about is if your pelvis is anteriorly or posteriorly tilted.

I also agree with Keex that your tensor fascia latae sounds like it is uber tight!

Keex – What do you do for a living? PT, OT, what?

• Veena

Administrator
    October 7, 2010 at 2:33 am

I would guess Keex is right….Prncsopowr makes a valid point as well. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif My own personal trouble spots are my hipflexors and along with that I have tight hamstrings (I should say they are not terrible but compared to the rest of my body they’re the areas I have had to focus on). Thank God for foam rollers and tennis balls!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif If you can make it into Bendy Buddy chat tomorrow I can show you some of the stretches and massage techniques I have been using. If I’m not there some of the other wonderful members could also help you out too! Anyway….Tight hip flexors can also cause lower back pain by causing the pelvis to tilt forward. Strengthening your low back can be helpful if this is the case, along with the stretching. Focusing on stretching and massaging the Rectus Femoris can be also helpful.

• Mindy4pole

October 8, 2010 at 5:35 am

Thanks for the suggestions you guys! I wish I could have made the Bendy Buddies, but I was at the State Fair of Texas. (It’s a big deal around here.) Now I’m feeling really sick, so hopefully I’ll make some sense!

My pelvis is/has been pretty anteriorly tilted. I’ve been working real hard to get a more neutral tilt, and that made something release in my left hip about a month ago. I thought I had finally "fixed" it, but it was only a little fix. Now I have a definite indention just in front of the femoral neck (I think) of my left leg. I think it’s created by sartorius on one side and TFL on the other. The indention is there on the right leg, but much less pronounced.

An additional note, I sit cross legged (indian style) all the time. I can also put either foot behind my head. But try to bring my knees to my chest by flexing at the hip. No go.

Anyway… again, thank you soooo much for your help. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif This darn hip of mine has been an ongoing source of irritation for a long time — both the physical issues, and my lack of ability to find the cause of the problem!! Bouncing it around with other folks helps me sort through things.

Mindy

• azzwoo

October 8, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I often see children who ‘in-toe’ and ‘out-toe’. It usually naturally resolves by about age 8 but in some people it will remain and is just their norm, and if its not painful is not usually viewed as a problem unless it is hindering your walking/function. Sometimes it can be as a result of muscle imbalances around the hip, but if stretches/ exercises don’t help you might want to see an orthopod to investigate the possibility that there may be an underlying hip joint problem. Did you ever have hip scans as a baby that you know of? Have you always out-toed or is has it started recently?

• keex

October 9, 2010 at 8:18 pm

@prncsopower: I’m a NYS Licensed Massage Therapist and Certified Pilates Instructor

My guess is your Tensor Fascia Latae & Glute Medius because they abducts your thigh, not allowing it to hang straight. Plus, your TFL and gluteus maximus insert into the iliotibial tract which will further the pull into abduction. Also, if you have limited range of motion while bringing your knees into your chest, my guess would be tight glutes. So you might wanna try stretching and massaging your TFL, glutes and IT band consistently.

As for anterior pelvic tilt (most common aka "hyperlordosis") vs. posterior pelvic tilt; both are caused by hypertonicity in muscles that create pulling forces on bones and cause misalignment. Stretching and massage of the overly-tight (hypertonic) muscles and strengthening the over-stretched (hypotonic) muscles fosters muscular balance. If you tend toward hyperlordosis, focus on stretching and massaging the muscles that cross the hip, especially your iliopsoas which originates on your lumbar spin. Also, your TFL, sartorius and, as Veena metioned, your rectus femoris. Plus, strengthen your abdominal muscles to help lengthen your lower back muscles and create more symmetry. That can help alleviate back pain.

• Mindy4pole

October 10, 2010 at 9:31 am

More poking and investigation! I found a SUPER sore spot near the insertion of the short head of the biceps femoris. I think illiacus may definitely have a part, too. I believe some of the inner thigh muscles may be part of it, too.

Totally correct about needing to strengthen my lower abs. I’ve only recently actually figured out how to engage them at all. Pole is fantastic for teaching you about how you are weak in places you never knew about! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

Would pilates help me address these issues? I tried it just a tiny bit a few years ago, but holding my legs up in the air was all but impossible for me. I am truly shock at what poling has helped me learn to do!

Thanks again everybody!!

I’ll keep you posted and hopefully can make bendy buddies!

Mindy

• Prncsopowr

October 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I would definitely try pilates. I find that it helps me with flexibility and strengthening. I originally started taking it to support ballet and find it helps with poling as well.

I have to say that overall I am incredibly impressed with the amount of medical knowledge that has been shared. As an occupational therapist, I am used to working with people who understand this language, but outside of my work environment I do not see the same. What an incredible group of people!