StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Minor tear to Hamstring?

• Minor tear to Hamstring?

Posted by SadiraSimone on December 22, 2009 at 3:54 am

So…I’ve been doing stretching each day, which is nothing new, but I’ve been pushing gradually to extend the stretch.

I’ve really been focusing on my hamstrings lately. I’ve also been making sure to take a 360 approach by stretching my hips, glutes, and adductors.
    My left piriformis was stubborn for a while, and then last week my hip felt all locked up – which I pinpointed to my TFL. One of my fellow massage therapists, worked my TFL and my quad very well and deeply – which, along with stretching, helped a lot!
    Then today I was stretching after my workout at the gym and lately, after stretching each hamstring individually, I stretch the together side-by-side and then separate my legs into a V and lean forward to the floor. I’ve been doing well with this the last few days, but tonight – the second time I lowered my torso to the ground I felt the proximal hamstring tendons make a "click-clack" sensation right over my ischial tuberosity – yuck! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif

It hasn’t been too bad so far, but it tends to be worse when I get up after sitting for a little while. And at first I only felt discomfort when extending my leg, but now I am starting to feel it when I bend forward some too.
    I am "R.I.C.E -ing, hoping that it will help over time. But I am assuming this is what a "torn" hamstring feels like – ??

Any thoughts? (Veena?)

SaschaPoles replied 14 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    December 23, 2009 at 4:00 am

Well this really isn’t with in my scope of practice to tell you if it was a tear. Ischial tuberosity is common for runners or those who sit for long periods of time also overstretching can cause this. Do you do any running? If not, then my guess would be its overstretching? Could be Ischiogluteal Bursitis I really don’t know though. You can never go wrong with rest. When stretching the legs/lower body always be sure to hold the pelvis in a neutral position, try not to tip it forward or back, this can add unnecessary stress and never stretch to the point of pain. I hope you feel better soon. Go easy when you start to stretch again..https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_rendeer.gif

• blueskye33

December 24, 2009 at 3:22 am

this happened to me as well…it was my quad tho
    on my left side. yes it is often called "runners knee." heavier runners often get it, also individuals with leg discrepancy tend to feel stain their IT band. when i went to my general doctor he gave me a referral for physical therapy, he did also say that i should only go once or twice just to learn the stretches and then i can stop (save my money) he also said to research it online. i did and there is tons and tons of information (of course) i also get runners mag and some other fitness mags at the doctors office i work at and they have all spoken about it… ha!
    so for me this has been ongoing, i realise now…however i did tear my muscle…pretty effing badly
    i could not sit proper. standing hurt sitting hurting sleeping hurt. if i wasnt work or driving i would sit board stiff as someone had sprayed me starched…so i should have stopped dancing (pole)…taking up some lighter form of exercise and lifted weights ect… instead i cont… and everytime i began to feel the slightest hair of a bit better (i missed a day practising or what not) i would go and workout-and do a move that require my leg to stretch a way it could not handle

i would go to a doctor if the pain is truly sever and constant.
    but do not do what i did. i could have been healed so much quicker and same with a shoulder injury i have. i am hard headed and do not know how to sit on the sidelines for a bit…
    good luck to you

• SaschaPoles

December 26, 2009 at 12:38 am

oh no!!! i dunno anything about muscles or anything, and i haven’t started reading my "genius of flexibility" book yet, but i hope you have a speedy recovery!!!!!!

• SadiraSimone

December 26, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Thanks for the concern ladies.
    I have come to the conclusion that it’s probably not a "hamstring tear" – it has none of the hallmark signs of a tear. I talked to some of my fellow massage therapists the next day, and we gathered that it had more to do with the tendon that the actual muscle itself. That next day I also randomly had 7 massages to do at work(!!!), some of those where Ashiatu sessions (where I use my legs and feet to work the body) and my leg did great!! I was a little sore right at the tendon that day – but no real pain.
    The following day I had scheduled a session with our chiropractor – come to find out my sacrum was really rotated, which I think contributed to the problem! I also had a 90 minute massage directly after my adjustment and we found that my other leg had some compensating issues also.

So my conclusion is that with my sacrum being "off" and maybe the fact that I took the stretching a little too fast that day – the muscle probably was fairly tightened, I just happened to move the right way, the tendon was pulled tight and had it to find a way to slide across the bone to get the muscle to lengthen. It sure did scare me though! And it feels almost 100% better already! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

Thanks for the concern and advice ladies! Hope you all are having a great holiday season!!!

• SaschaPoles

December 27, 2009 at 3:50 pm

omg! what a nightmare! im glad you figured out what the problem was, our bodies are so complicated aren’t they??? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif good luck healing!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif