StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Minor nerve damage in arm – goodbye strength moves ? :(

• Minor nerve damage in arm – goodbye strength moves ? :(

Posted by Shellectra on July 8, 2011 at 6:35 am

2 weeks ago I pulled something near my shoulder blade and within a few days I could pole again.  Then over the next week I had tingling in my left arm on that side and when I would try my 2 favorite moves I worked so hard to get – cartwheel mount and twisted grip handspring, my left arm (lower supporting arm) would not be able to hold me up fully – it would 'buckle' a bit so to speak and bend a bit when I was upside down.  The physio said its minor nerve damage and I have bee doing a few nerve exercises and been told to stay off the pole.  I am to the point of crying cos I just know if I don't pole for weeks I will lose the only 2 impressive moves I could do, they took me Months to learn, and they were the only talent I had 🙁 I have tried a few times to do them again (naughty I know) and can't get up but i think thats cos of fear of knowing I shouldn't try, and not trusting my lower arm cos it buckles.

I really dont know what to do now, I feel like taking the pole down and giving up.  I am crying as I write this cos a few weeks ago I was so strong and could do a TG handspring and cartwheel mount with ease, now I can't even do them anymore. I am so frustated and annoyed and know they will be gone when I go back to trying properly, and seeing as I suck at pole anyway I wonder if it would be better to just put the pole away so I can stop looking at it every day and trying to use it when im not meant to 🙁

Shellectra replied 12 years, 10 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

July 8, 2011 at 7:26 am

I have not touched a pole for months but got my strength back very quickly.  DO NOT push yourself or you can do more damage!  Let yourself heal!  You would not believe the muscle memory that you will have.  There are several pepple who have taken time off from pole (pregnant, injuries, life) and have been able to bounce back in no time.  Also, impressive moves do not make you a pole dancer.  Take this time to concentrate on your flow and floorwork.  There is so much more to pole dancing than tricks!

• nymphdancer

July 8, 2011 at 8:53 am

I'm with Chem on this one. You don't want to push it and end up like me with lifetime non reversable nerve damage. Take the time to heal, work on some floorwork or things that don't agravate the arm, when it heals start back slow but you will be surprised at how fast it comes back.

• Shellectra

July 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Thanks girls, I feel a bit better now.  No more trying to hold myself up then and I'll just do my stretching and pilates for a few weeks instead 🙂

nymph i didnt know you can get non reverable nerve damage, yikes! How did it happen? I didn't really know nerve damage was that serious really, maybe cos mine is very minor (no pain at all, was tingling in the whole arm and muscle twitching initially, but now only a funny feeling in the forearm a few times a day).  I will be good and not touch the pole then cos i dont want further damage! I went to the physio agian today and shes changed my nerve exercise so that I target the median (i might have that wrong) nerve cos I've fixed the ulna one.

I didnt think slightly pulling a muscle in your shoulder/back area could cause al this!  poling isnt all safe hey, at least I can pilates safely LOL

• Veena

Administrator
    July 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Your strength will come back…but I would stay away from the Twisted grip…..

• Shellectra

July 9, 2011 at 2:02 am

Oo how come? The injury happened from a stupid aerial invert which im never doing again – inverting but without feet touching the floor to begin with.  twisted grip is very comfy for me and it was the arm/side that isn't twisted that got injured

• Greekgoddess

July 9, 2011 at 3:35 am

Hey, I know how you feel a couple of months back I sprained my right ankle (my climbing one) really badly through falling down some stairs, so bad the doctors thought I’d broken it, I had to pull out of a competition and everything. It’s really upsetting and for weeks just thinking about it would make my burst into tears but you’ve just got to do your physio and it will improve, I haven’t been on a pole since the middle of may and my brand new Kurt Geiger poling shoes are still in their box unworn 🙁 point is you really have to persevere with it, just think sports people get injured and can be out for a year or so and they always bounce back we polers have to do the same! Hope you get better soon and just look forward to getting back into it because it’ll spur you on to get better x

• DoodlebugDances

July 9, 2011 at 11:04 am

Please don’t despair. I had to take two months off because I’d compressed my ulnar nerve. I did pilates and went to the gym instead but I worried that I’d loose my pole strength and ability. Quite honestly, I was better when I came back because my overall fitness was better. Rest, do other things and it’ll pay dividends when you come back to pole 🙂

• ORGANIC ANGEL

July 9, 2011 at 7:38 pm

This happened to me a lil while ago. My homeopathic doc and acupuncturist told me it was actually a tendon that snapped. I thought it was a nerve. I had my studio teacher feel it cuz I was convinced I did something really bad. It took two weeks to get back into some of the things and I didn't attempt anything "big" for three or so. Then it felt kinda weak and tender when I did, but some of the stretching on the pole really helped it. Your body will recover. You have to get blood going through your body, so still warm up and dance and do any moves that you are comfy with. I am all better now, so you will be in no time.

• Shellectra

July 16, 2011 at 7:29 am

Thanks for the comments guys!! I haven't felt any nerve tingling for a few days now and tested out if I could hold myself in a split grip just once and I could! The lower arm felt a little weaker than normal or maybe I just don't trust it, but I feel happy now that I know I haven't really lost much strength in 3 or 4 weeks 🙂