StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Man Food??

• Man Food??

Posted by KellzBellz on January 10, 2010 at 5:07 am

So I’m on this new healthy kick. I love eating veggies and fruits, chicken turkey and the like. However, my dear boyfriend only seems to want to eat meat and potatoes every day, so I was wondering if anybody had any "guy friendly" healthy recipes. I really want him to eat better, but its so hard when he’s been eating like a three year old since he was… well 3. (he’s 24 now) any help would be much appreciated!!!

chemgoddess1 replied 14 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • 2dyzzi

January 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Sounds like we’re in the same boat! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif

My bf’s developed a like for fresh veggies and low fat ranch dip…
    He’s also started grilling several different types of veggies on the BBQ. He’ll season asparagus or broccoli and do them in tinfoil, or sprinkle zucchini with olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese.
    Otherwise you can compromise with meat and veggie stirfrys, soups, or whole-wheat wraps, and a taco salad has ground beef with lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, etc…

I still don’t think we eat enough veggies, and I know they lose some of their nutritional value when you cook them certain ways… Let us know if you come up with any solutions! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif

• KellzBellz

January 10, 2010 at 9:38 pm

if there wasnt 10 inches of snow outside i’m sure i could grill too!! he’ll eat anything that comes off a grill. taco salad is a great idea! i could even do it with ground turkey. i’m probably going to start trolling the internet for recipes. hopefully i’ll turn something up.

• Audball

January 10, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I have the same problem! Only veg bf eats is carrots and peas. Gets boring! I have resorted to making myself fresh vegetable soup to make sure I get some beg even if he doesn’t. I nag at him, but it doesn’t work. I found that taking him to my parents house was a good kick up the ass. My mother was shocked when he didn’t eat his veg! Lol!

Anyway I think its about forming habits. He often makes curries and sweet&sour dishes, so I get him to put in lots of onions and peppers. Not very exotic, but its a start! I think it helps when they are covered in sauce! (As the same goes for kids). Oh, men!

(And with my bf, I don’t even try veggie meals anymore, he complains he’s still hungry as he’s convinced that meat is the only food group that fills you up!)

• glitterhips

January 10, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I have the same problem and my bf is skinny as a rail so he can eat anything he wants and his diet consists of frozen pizza and ramen noodles…but i use the turkey/chicken trick too so when i make anything that typically has ground beef i use turkey or ground chicken and he says he can never tell a difference. someone else on another thread said they use panko to coat poultry/fish because you can bake it and its still crunchy so i bought some today and im going to try that too. i made baked chicken fingers the other night and i had a big salad on the side and bf had french fries so i try to not entirely force my healthy eating on him by making him fries etc to have with our healthy stuff….the only problem with that is i always steal a few so maybe you have better will power than i do https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• verucablue

January 11, 2010 at 3:23 am

I make these wraps with baked sweet potato *fries* and my hubby loves them

Grilled Lentil Wraps
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 pkg frozen Organic Brown Rice, cooked according to package instructions (about 2 cups)
    2 cups Steamed Lentils
    1 cup cooked Swiss chard or spinach
    3/4 cup kefir or plain yogurt
    1 cup shredded cheese
    8 flour tortillas

1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onions for 5 minutes or until translucent.
    2. Add rice, lentils, and Swiss chard. Stir until combined and remove from heat.
    3. Mix in kefir and cheese.
    4. Heat ungreased griddle or skillet over medium heat. Assemble wraps by placing filling in the middle and folding all sides toward the middle. Place wraps, seam side down, on hot skillet. Place a bag of flour or some other object on top to achieve the effect of a panini press. Toast for 3-5 minutes on each side until toasted brown and crispy.

Serve with Tomato Chutney
    Makes 8 wraps

Sweet Potato Fries:

4 sweet potatoes (or yams)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Salt to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400degrees F. Cut sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch thick lengthwise strips and toss with olive oil.
    Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and arrange potatoes on baking sheets.

Bake potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on bottom. Turn potatoes over and bake about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown all over Sprinkle with salt and serve.

The fries are kinda salty and sweet which is always good and the wrap is yummy and cheesy without having any meat.

Also 2 things that really help me are:

-my crock pot…guys LOVE stews/soups/chilli’s and you can throw a ton of veggies and/or meat in and whip up something easy and healthy

-I love this web site "Cooking With Trader Joe’s"…if you have one near you this web site is the bomb for quick meal ideas https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif http://blog.cookingwithtraderjoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

• 2dyzzi

January 11, 2010 at 5:01 am

if there wasnt 10 inches of snow outside i’m sure i could grill too!! he’ll eat anything that comes off a grill. taco salad is a great idea! i could even do it with ground turkey. i’m probably going to start trolling the internet for recipes. hopefully i’ll turn something up.

My bad haha! It never occured to me that other people might be deterred by snow – I guess maybe BBQing in the snow is a Canadian thing? You’d have all your neighbors looking at you funny! (There! At least I used the American spelling of the word neighbors https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_tongue.gif )

I don’t suppose an electric grill would achieve the same taste. But the zucchini slices work well on a cookie sheet in the oven too. They’re kinda like really healthy chips but not quite as crunchy.

My bf puts salsa, a little sour cream and crushed tortilla chips in his taco salad and that seems to work for him https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• 2dyzzi

January 11, 2010 at 5:03 am

-my crock pot…guys LOVE stews/soups/chilli’s and you can throw a ton of veggies and/or meat in and whip up something easy and healthy

Chilli – also a great idea. Very filling! Haven’t had chilli in a while….

• KellzBellz

January 11, 2010 at 6:47 pm

it was 6 degrees here yesterday and when i left for work- my neighbors were outside using their grill to make hot dogs. i was really surprised. it seemed like an awful lot of work for a minute on the grill. lol chili sounds so good….

• chemgoddess1

January 11, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Tosca Reno just came out with a "Man" clean eating cookbook.

Eat-Clean Diet for Men

Home made smoothies are another great way to get your man to eat better and more veggies.