StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Male Poling problems (help!)

• Male Poling problems (help!)

Posted by LyraPole on November 18, 2015 at 4:00 am

I have a male student (new!) and his flexibility is severely limited. He’s a body builder and has the typical signs – shortened hamstrings, etc. He can’t cross his legs for a pole sit much less anything else like it. Also I’m not sure how leg hair can effect grip. Any experience? Any info is helpful!!

jsheridan replied 8 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    November 18, 2015 at 5:27 am

For some people it’s also the size of the legs that prevent crossing in pole sit. If you’re looking for alternative options for pole basics check out the lessons here! For example, in sit, cross at the ankles instead. I’ve taught men before and usually hair isn’t a big issue, unless they’re super hairy! Most men want to focus on strength based moves but don’t be afraid to have them try things that are more dancy!

• Runemist34

November 18, 2015 at 6:11 am

I find, personally, that I cannot cross my legs anywhere at or above the knee when doing a pole sit. I’d have to dislocate my thighs! But, crossing at the ankles, or slightly up from that, is totally feasible.
    As for flexibility… well, it’s going to take him a lot of time. A long, long time can go into correcting tight hamstrings and creating more flexibility in the shoulders! It can be done, however, with consistency and time!
    Focusing on what he CAN do, rather than what he cannot do, is going to be important for him to continue his journey and feel good about his pole dancing. I’m sure he can do a lot more than most would expect 😉

• jsheridan

November 18, 2015 at 9:49 pm

I agree with the others, I teach the pole sit as “do what is best for you” then expand if they are capable. If you have thicker thighs or narrow or tight hips, crossing the knee can be painful. If you have wide hips or skinny legs with a thigh gap, crossing at the ankles can feel impossible. My male students have only had minor issues with leg hair. It can all be worked around, you just need to be aware. Both my male students are straight…if it matters (They are more into strength moves and less into dancey stuff.) I do not teach the exact same curriculum. Obviously, the basics, safety, and order of progressions are the same, but they advance faster in some ways and slower in others. They are usually awesome with inverts, hand grips and strength moves, where I find my females tend to rock the flex and leg holds. Again, not totally gender dependent. They are both inflexible, but making progress. I teach a mix of moves in the class, so no one feels like they didnt succeed. We will alternate strength moves with flex moves and I offer progressions so when someone does really well with the basic move, they can try adding a harder variation or transition, so I am still teaching the same things. I have been able to integrate both genders in the same classes pretty easily, so let me know any questions, I would love to help!