StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Make your own protein bars

• Make your own protein bars

Posted by moonflower on January 28, 2010 at 3:47 am

I got this recipe from a friend, but I’m sure there are many different variations floating around the interwebs.

Ingredients:
    4 scoops chocolate flavoured whey powder
    2 cups rolled oats
    3-4 tablespoon peanut butter or cashew nut butter (or peanutbutter/nutella mix if you are feeling really naughty)
    1 tablespoon honey
    a pinch of salt
    sugar to taste ( you’ll have to experiment to your liking, honestly, I just sprinkle sugar on the finished bar until it’s as sweet as I like)
    a splash of water

1. Mix the whey powder, rolled oats, salt and sugar (if you are putting it in the bars themselves) in a large bowl.

2. Add peanut butter and honey. It’s easier if you add the peanut butter in little clumps and distribute them evenly. Stir together. This will be very difficult, but try your best. IF you want you can press and pinch them together with your hands. This will not form a dough yet.

3. This step is kinda tricky. Add a tiny amount of water and keep mixing. Add a little more and keep mixing until the mass JUST BARELY comes together in a stiff dough. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT add too much water. It will became a gooey sickly texture that is unpalatable. You DON’T want the whey powder to start dissolving, the water is just to stick everything together. I can;t tell you how much because it depends on the humidity (but if you are a poler anyway, I’m sure you understand all about humidity)

4. Turn "dough" onto parchment/wax paper, placement 2nd piece of paper on top. Roll, press and shape dough into a rectangular-ish shape approximately 3/4-1" high. Place in fridge one hour. During this time, it will firm up and the oats will absorb some moisture and bind everything together.

5. Cut into 8 bars. IF you didn’t add your sugar into the bar, sprinkle it on when the bars warm up closer to room temperature, it will stick to the surface. Every 2 bars is a has a full scoop of protein. Store in airtight bags/container.

EDIT: I wanted to add that these bars are calorie dense, so don’t over eat them!

PoleDanceABCs replied 14 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • StellarMotion

January 29, 2010 at 7:19 am

Thanks for sharing this… sounds like I need to go the grocery store! As it stands I spend a lot of money on Clif/Zone/Balance bars to get some extra calories and protein on-the-go, but this sounds like a wholesome project to try. Cool!

• PoleDanceABCs

February 3, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I love all-natural recipes like this. Thanks for sharing. ^_^