StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Major body image crisis :(

• Forever Young

April 21, 2012 at 6:04 am

It is the same for me:(
    I recently started videoing practices and I was hugely dissapointed when I watched myself.
    Like what was already mentioned – I don’t look the way I feel when I am poling. I feel like I am graceful and strong but when I watched the video back all I see is a 40 year old, overweight women with bad posture. Even the floorwork does not look anything like I want it to.
    I posted a little while ago how embarressed I was even thinking about posting videos on here and it all has to do with self-issue problems.
    My studio has no mirrors (budget constraints) so this was the first time I actually saw myself and I was extremely dissapointed and discouraged.
    It even has me thinking about why I carry on.

• pegasusaerialfitness

April 21, 2012 at 7:39 am

Ohh all my little lovelys'..Pole is not how you look. It is how you express. Just get back to basics. close your eyes and FEEL the movement. 

Would you judge your fellow poler for putting there heart and sole into a performance, no matter what level…I think not! Remember, it is all relative! Everyday has something different to offer. Meet those days that are hard and ask yourself..Why is it so hard today? Am I tired? have I nurtured myself enough. Find the beauty of THAT moment. When you cant do what you thought you should be able to do, it is time to do what you can…or maybe it is time to discover something has been there that you didnt know. Frustration is a GOOD thing. It drives us, it's goal in not nescessarily to be "better."  but to grow. 

When I was young I was teased horribly about my very musclar legs. The girls thought it was gross….literlly…I would avoid wearing shorts in public..and rarely at that. But now…I only get compliments on them.

Often times what we think our worst asset is, is our gift. 

so..please "go on"..I dont want to miss your next video:)

• Lyme Lyte

April 21, 2012 at 9:48 am

What?  Polegirl, I woke up  to this thread and had to do a DOUBLE check on if you were who I thought you were.  Sure enough, I looked at who started this post, looked at a few of your videos and was like, Polegirl is feeling this?  You are so darn cute, sexy and love your sassy hair.  I looked at your video attemping the iron X….you are so strong.  I looked at your butt in a few other videos….nice and round.  I looked at your age and I am like DAMN girl, you got it going on!  OK, I may have big boobs and be curvey, but I also have no butt like yours.  My butt is saggy and wrinkly….that happens as you get a little older.  But you know what, I still feel sexy, and if I can feel sexy about me, I hope you start to feel sexy about yourself.  Because you ARE!  Damn woman….HOT!  And if we compare ourself to others, especially younger, skinneier sexy ones, we will always feel poorly about ourselfs.  Why don't you look at other women your age,  I bet you line up 10 woman your age, in their undies, and you would feel good about yourself.  How many others your age are attempint and iron X?  When I went to this concert last weekened and they wanted a few volunteers to come up on stage, you know what?  I was up there with other women my age, but I felt like the sexiest one out there.  I felt the muslic and let my inner sexiness shine.  Just like another memeber wrote on here…….feel the music, let yourself go, and allow yourself to feel the sexy woman you are!

• ORGANIC ANGEL

April 21, 2012 at 10:24 am

I think you are being wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 2 hard on yourself. What you are thinking you see is a mirage b/c you are really toned. How many 40 year olds r inverting? You are super strong! Everyones body is different. Yours is better than even the avg. 30 yr. old. There are 20 yr olds in many of the classes that I have been too who would never even attempt the tricks you are but pole isn't about that. I just returned to pole after a baby and if I was worried how others looked I don't know if I would have stepped back in the studio. Write some post-its and put them on fridge, on mirrors, in car and let them all say really nice things about YOU. I think it is more of a mind issue than a body issue.

• PlatinumAni

April 21, 2012 at 10:31 am

You are beautiful and inspiring. I must admit I rarely watch youtube pole vids unless I am searching for new moves. People here (including you as I have always admired you) are far more motivating to me. Real people accomplishing their goals: whether the goal is to pop big tricks, have sensual flow, improve their bodies…. Whatever! I have no boobs and a disproportionate  hip/thigh/butt and guess what… because of you lovelies I have learned to love it! It may not be what "everyone wants" but it is mine and I am still in shock over the things it can do!

• Lyme Lyte

April 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

Im shocked at the things u can do too PA! We started about the same time and i could compare myself to you, but i would just feel bad. Therefore, i look at what I (Lyme Lyte) can do and i feel proud of myself…..and sexy! 🙂

• PlatinumAni

April 21, 2012 at 11:05 am

Lyme I get just as excited when you accomlish a goal as I do for myself. It is not about where we are it is about where we are going! Besides I learn from you as well as everyone else. I had never attempted car to brass monkey until I saw YOU do it. =) You may be right that some of it comes easy to me but it is people like you who push me through when it is not. That inspire me to WORK for it.

• poleclimber

April 21, 2012 at 11:16 am

We ALL have days like this!  This is a great place to express them, work them, and come to terms with them :).  One of the reasons I love this community of women is we all appreciate our differences, curves, straight lines, etc.  We are all beautiful ladies who are working HARD to get a little better each day :).  It's okay to have self doubt and bad days.  That is human.

• polergirl

April 21, 2012 at 11:26 am

Thanks again, ladies. 

Like I said, I work hard for my body. I appreciate it. I like the way it moves. I like that I'm doing things I never thought I'd do. And I am super inspired when I watch videos here. 

I agree with everything you're saying–but it's tough when I'm looking for inspiration on new moves or new combos to try, or watching someone's movement, and most of what I see doesn't involve bodies that are like mine. It's like taking a picture of Charlize Theron to the stylist and saying "make me look like that." Not gonna happen. So I watch videos and see things that I want to try…. or see things that make me think "ooooh, I wonder if I could do it *this* way" and I find I have to overcome a lot of psychological crap in order to get at all comfortable with how *I* look doing them, in my own style. 

This is a warm and welcoming place, and I know that's the case. Where else am I going to bring up this subject and know that thousands of dancers will "get" it???  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• pegasusaerialfitness

April 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I have found a trend with some of the great "Pole" is that they have found their own style. i did a workshop with Natasa Wang and everyone wanted her to teach us the Allegra..And she said..oh..I dont really do that, my back is  not very flexible..so she showed us her variation. It was beautifull..but not an allegra by definition. I think what makes some of her movement so amazing is that she does some unique things with her hands and feet that goes with the music and the emotion of the story she trying to tell. 

Polergirl…

I've watched your videos. They are lovely, you have a flow and grace, mixed in with class and a little spice. I couldnt remember "what" you did..but I remember how I felt watching you dance and sharing a part of your self.

• pegasusaerialfitness

April 21, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I think we should start a thread that is our "bloobers and epic failers." I didnt post any videos for a long time because I felt they were bad and had mistakes. I just started posting some of my videos…but I have a typically  editited out the 'eee gads!" parts. So I will start it in a new thread. 

Page 2 of 2