StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Low Lift Spin??

• Low Lift Spin??

Posted by reenie aka Mysfit on June 12, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I am struggling with this dang spin.

I can’t seem to get the weight transfer right…………

I tried searching YT, but haven’t been able to find any tutorials……………

Anyone have any helpful ideas??

Thanks

EVamp83 replied 14 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

June 12, 2010 at 10:00 pm

What is a low lift spin? Can you explain it? I have never heard of that before.

• reenie aka Mysfit

June 12, 2010 at 10:10 pm

You are on the floor bent one one knee holding onto the pole. From there, you lift and spin up to a stand.
    I have seen tons of people doing it, and found it called by that name in the Pole Fitness Association Visual Dictionary.

http://polefitnessassociation.com/documents/PFA_Visual_Dictionary.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry~I can’t figure out for the life of me how to insert a pic into the post~~

But that is what I am talking about.

As most things, it probably has several different names………I had no idea what it was called til I spotted it in the visual dictionary~~

Thanks Chemy for your reply……….

What is a low lift spin? Can you explain it? I have never heard of that before.

• chemgoddess1

June 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm

There was just another thread on this a little while back:

What’s it called

I know this as a spin up. I think there are some tips in the linked thread. Hopefully that helps.

• reenie aka Mysfit

June 12, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Huge thanks Chem!
    I am off to check that out!!

Hugs
    reenie

What’s it called

I know this as a spin up. I think there are some tips in the linked thread. Hopefully that helps.

• mysunshine276

June 13, 2010 at 11:38 am

By the way, Loved the link to the dictionary..that was awesome! I’m going to print that out and post it near my pole!
    And the spin-up just takes some practice to get everything co-ordinated. I learned it by watching other people do it, but I still can’t consistently do the cradle version

• Mary Ellyn

June 13, 2010 at 1:44 pm

For the basic spin up, the key is the momentum from sweeping the outstretched leg and the lift from engaging your shoudlers and upper arms to pull yourself up in the air. You can also use the instep of the foot on the bent knee to help give a little lift by pushing up with it. Please don’t bend that foot so that you are resting on bent toes! The toes of the foot with the bent knee should be pointed and you push off the actual instep.

There are several beautiful variations to this…as mentioned the cradle spin up, the jumping verions Chemmie linked in the other thread that Wendy does, the boomerang spin up, and you can do a "grounded" version by pivoting on the knee and sweeping the outstretched leg around to the from. This is the way I usually start beginner students out with this move until they have developed more strength to lift.

• PolePhoenix

June 14, 2010 at 1:31 am

I struggled a lot with this move when I first tried it, I just didn’t have the upper body strength.
    I had a look at the picture you posted and I actually position my hands the other way round to her. So the arm opposite to my outstreched leg is stretched up the pole. Also when first doing this move I built up the strength by not actually pulling my self off the ground, I concentrated on pulling my body round and up the pole, giving myself momentum by swinging my outstreched leg round the pole to a standing posistion. Then as I got stronger I just noticed I was coming off the ground with the force of my pull round. Hope some of this makes some sense lol.
    Thanks empryan for the boomerang variation, not seen or heard of that one so gave it a quick go, will look good once polished up.

• Mary Ellyn

June 14, 2010 at 2:10 am

Hey Pole Phoenix…I just looked at that picture quickly so I didn’t notice it until you pointed it out but you’re right I think the other hand should be in the upper position – the one opposite the extended leg.

I can’t do the boomerang spin up myself…but then I have a very difficult time just with a standard boomerang. It’s a beautiful move though.

• EVamp83

June 14, 2010 at 8:16 am

What’s it called

Thanks so much for that reply chem!! I now finally understand what everyone was exactly talking about in that thread, lol https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif
    I must have had a slow week or something https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

I just wanted to add that it’s also possible to go into a spinning chopper from that position. I got the idea when reading the comments on Joel’s latest vid. He was practicing the spinning chopper, but has a low ceiling.

Does anyone have a video of the boomerang variation?

• Mary Ellyn

June 14, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I believe the spinning chopper is the same as the spinning boomerang but I can’t recall who has a vid of it.

• EVamp83

June 14, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Ok, that explains a lot I guess. I was thinking of spinning boomerang as in split spin or V spin. I was wondering what that would look like from the ground. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• JenGwen323

June 19, 2010 at 3:47 am

I think I learned this as the pole-up.

As for a boomerang version, I just saw one in a veener’s video:
    http://ver3.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4267
    It’s about 1/4 of the way through. She makes it look easy.

• EVamp83

June 19, 2010 at 9:45 am

Thanks! I’m trying that one next practice!