StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Looking for a Crash Mat

• Looking for a Crash Mat

Posted by Vdub on March 1, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Okay, I’ve learned to do the basic spins and transitions and I have the ab strength to hold myself up…..now I’d like to start learning to invert. I go to a studio and the instructor is helping me but I want to practice at home. Soooo, I need a crash mat. I’ve seen them online for a mere $199 (yikes!), but I’m hoping to find them cheaper. Anyone know where I can get one at a decent (translation: cheap) price? Thanks.

JenLFG replied 14 years, 5 months ago 11 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

March 1, 2010 at 11:45 pm

The cheapest one I have seen was $150 but it was only a 2" mat. The $199 one that is 4" is a good deal. Or you can try searching craigslist for gym mats. I have the foam floor mats as my first layer and then these huge pillows that I got at Big Lots that I use when trying new stuff.

• Vdub

March 2, 2010 at 1:34 am

The cheapest one I have seen was $150 but it was only a 2" mat. The $199 one that is 4" is a good deal. Or you can try searching craigslist for gym mats. I have the foam floor mats as my first layer and then these huge pillows that I got at Big Lots that I use when trying new stuff.

Thanks for the info. I’ll give craigslist a shot. A gym mat sounds like a good idea because I’d prefer something flat I can walk on as opposed to walking on pillows.

• jeng

March 2, 2010 at 3:38 am

Try buying 2 baby crib mattresses. They work great.

• minicoopergrl

March 2, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Try buying 2 baby crib mattresses. They work great.

looks like ill be stealing my sons bed when I finally get a pole https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

I was going to suggest the foam puzzle piece mats. I really want to get the chunks of foam they have at gymnastic studios so when I do fall its still fun!

• poledanceromance

March 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I’ll give craigslist a shot. A gym mat sounds like a good idea because I’d prefer something flat I can walk on as opposed to walking on pillows.

I found mine at a hardware store. They’re meant for cushioning feet on a work space to be stood on all day. They look like giant puzzle pieces with the way they fit together on the sides, but it means they can be attached all the way around the pole. They were $10 for a pack of 4 at Harbor Freight and I’m pretty sure you could buy them anywhere. Get 2 packs and you can layer them, stack one on top of the other, with multiple packs you could create a whole padded surface which would be great for floorwork.

• Vdub

March 2, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I found mine at a hardware store. They’re meant for cushioning feet on a work space to be stood on all day. They look like giant puzzle pieces with the way they fit together on the sides, but it means they can be attached all the way around the pole. They were $10 for a pack of 4 at Harbor Freight and I’m pretty sure you could buy them anywhere. Get 2 packs and you can layer them, stack one on top of the other, with multiple packs you could create a whole padded surface which would be great for floorwork.

I’m going to the hardware store today. Thanks!

• climbergirl

March 2, 2010 at 5:07 pm

climbing pads are really good that is what i use. They are called bouldering pads or crash pads. You could look on craigslist or ebay. They are expensive new, but you might be able to find some used. Good luck!

• chemgoddess1

March 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I have the foam mats and while they provide a little cush I have hurt myself on them. I just got over a jammed toe.

• poledanceromance

March 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I have the foam mats and while they provide a little cush I have hurt myself on them. I just got over a jammed toe.

Yeah I only suggested them because she said she wanted something firm that she could walk on. For extra trick practice I’d recommend throwing a crib mattress over it, but when stacked 2 deep they’re pretty cushy, at least enough that if you practiced a new trick close to the floor you wouldn’t have any more than a minor injury like a stubbed toe or bruise. I consider that a lot better than a cracked skull!

• carriej

March 6, 2010 at 8:34 pm

glad the harbor freight idea was posted cause I don’t use a mat because I’m afraid it’ll slide out from under me if my foot catches it on the way into an invert or my latest cartwheel attempts. I know I should use a mat but I get reluctant thinking it might cause an accident.

• verucablue

March 7, 2010 at 9:34 am

glad the harbor freight idea was posted cause I don’t use a mat because I’m afraid it’ll slide out from under me if my foot catches it on the way into an invert or my latest cartwheel attempts. I know I should use a mat but I get reluctant thinking it might cause an accident.

the pole mat I have and a lot of the pole mats I have seen have holes in the center where the pole goes and then connect at the seam with heavy duty velcro…so the chances of it sliding out when you invert or if your foot catches is really slim https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Angel1201

March 9, 2010 at 12:25 am

I got two of these from Dick’s:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3977664&cp=2367438.2367453.2368579.2049960

They have velcro on the sides the i put one on each side of the poles, & squeeze them together. They velcrow hold REALLY well! I think I had a discount coupon as well, so both cost me about $100 total.

Now that I’m not so worried about falling anymore, I use them for stretching out on. I love ’em!

• joni1

March 12, 2010 at 3:29 am

I got two of these from Dick’s:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3977664&cp=2367438.2367453.2368579.2049960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have velcro on the sides the i put one on each side of the poles, & squeeze them together. They velcrow hold REALLY well! I think I had a discount coupon as well, so both cost me about $100 total.

Now that I’m not so worried about falling anymore, I use them for stretching out on. I love ’em!

Angel, that is exactly what I purchased. But I bought 4 of them to go all the way around the pole. I added velcro straps to all 4 outer sides to hold them all together. When folded, it is 5 inches thick and cushions my fall well. I fell once from 10 feet high on the pole when I was learning the spinning scorpio switch. And I walked away with not a scratch. It cost 39.99 canadian each at walmart .

• poledanceromance

March 14, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I fell once from 10 feet high on the pole when I was learning the spinning scorpio switch. And I walked away with not a scratch.

I had that move down totally solid. Then I poled in an unfamiliar place, hit a slick spot I didn’t see, and fell out of it onto hardwood floor. I wasn’t even 3 feet off the ground, but it messed with my head. That was 3 months ago, and I haven’t been able to do a spinning scorpio since. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

• JenLFG

April 1, 2010 at 3:06 pm

i was thinking about ordering one of these
    http://www.thepoledancingshop.com/categories/Pole-Dancing-Poles/Pole-Dancing-Mats/
    one of them is 6 inches thick & the other is only 2 inches… i think the 6 inch one would really be best but it’s $335! thats a lot, well to me it is anyway! you can’t really put a price on safety so i’ll probably be saving up for one this it. have any of you ever used this brand of mat before? is it worth the $335?