StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Logistics of a 14 to 15 ft (removable) pole?

• Logistics of a 14 to 15 ft (removable) pole?

Posted by FreeTheSun on May 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Hey Folks. I have a question for you lovely ladies with tall ceilings. A photography studio in my area was interested in potentially purchasing a pole to offer as a photo shoot option for people. They've had a few folks do shots in their smaller back room with a normal sized pole, but they would love the flexibility of being able to have one in their main room, but not being polers themselves, they weren't sure about quality brands, safe installation, price, etc. I told them I would do a brief bit of digging for them and let them know.

Anyway their main room is prob about 14 to 15 ft tall. They prob would want to be able to remove the pole since their main work is boudoir photos (I see this as being the main challenge). Any suggested brands or methods of working around this?

Also what size would you guys think would be best 50 or 45? Would you think a steel, brass, titanium, etc would be better. I was thinking a grippier one would prob be best so you don't worry about slippage as much.

And all that considered, anyone have an idea of relative costs? Thanks for any and all help!

Veena replied 13 years ago 10 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    May 17, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I have a 45mm X pole that is about 14ft tall and the Vaulted ceiling adaptor (you don't need a vaulted ceiling to use it)…LOVE IT. Soooo easy to take down and fast to put up, even faster if you have the new model. I still have to climb mine to tighten it but the new ones you adjust from below! Go with Brass (x pole does not have brass yet) or Titanium Gold These finishes have the best grip when cold so its great for photoes. I find that 45mm will make holding a pose long easier, but not everyone likes a smaller pole so that is a tough one.  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• FreeTheSun

May 17, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Thanks Veena! I was kind of thinking along the lines of a 45 TG, but having no experience with those (only ever played with 50 and 45 chrome, stainless and a 38 brass) I wasn't sure.

It is a tough debate for pole size. The local studios don't have one size they all agree on, but I think 45 is becoming more common.

Are Platinum Stages the only folks that have brass right now?

So many options!

• horsecrazy12987

May 17, 2011 at 8:38 pm

PS is the only brand I know of with removable brass poles. Also, I definitely have to agree with going with the grippier material, so definitely titanium gold if brass is not doable for some reason. The last thing you want to worry about during a photo shoot is trying to pose on an oil slick of a pole.

• PlainJane

May 17, 2011 at 10:43 pm

So this is the part where I have to put in my 10 cents about PS "titanium gold" poles. I haven't had any experience on a TG  fixed pole, but I have used a TG PS star standalone. The TG was awful! I was too busy worrying about the fact that the metal actually warped (bent) with use. While I do think the TG has some small added grip benefits, it appears to be an inherently softer metal. Even though the pole appeared to only have a TG coating it was still much less stable. During my day of playing with the PS stand alone I used a stainless steel and two of the bronze poles. The stainless was infinitely more sturdy, and by the end of the day the pole was still straight. Both of the bronze poles had really pronounced kinks where they had bent.

After this experience I would advise a bit of caution if you're looking into buying a TG pole.

• PlainJane

May 17, 2011 at 10:45 pm

sorry, just noticed I described the PS poles as "bronze" twice. I've never used a bronze pole – the poles I was on where "titanium gold" … whatever that means lol

• amy

May 17, 2011 at 11:00 pm

gin blanc,  a little confused here… PS doesn't make a TG pole in a star standalone; they only have brass and stainless steel. Xpole makes a TG pole, but not in their stage pole. 

• Veena

Administrator
    May 18, 2011 at 8:48 am

Gin… Platinum stages does not have a (TG) Titanium gold finish only X pole. Platinum Stages makes Brass poles and yes brass is a softer metal.

• Veena

Administrator
    May 18, 2011 at 8:49 am

AND I should add….the Xpole Titanium Gold finish pole is just as stable as the other poles, because its just a finish they put on. TG is NOT Brass.

• Mary Ellyn

May 18, 2011 at 9:35 am

I agree with the XPole with the ceiling adaptor…this is a great option for taking the pole up and down easily.

I have found that some people do not like the grip on the titanium – some skin chemistry just does not always stick to it. But then some people don't like chrome and others don't like stainless.

One thing to consider is that the pole will be under bright lights during the photo shoots so they will usually heat up and grip better than usual. Chrome might be fine.

The other consideration with brass is that it will require upkeep – polishing to remove tarnish – that may be a nuisance for the photography studio to keep up with.

• Veena

Administrator
    May 18, 2011 at 9:38 am

Oh and brass can smell. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif So also don't like the look of TG and like silver in the photos

• Mary Ellyn

May 18, 2011 at 11:02 am

Too bad they don't make "photography" poles with one side silver and the other gold so you can use the side you wnat. Sometimes I like how the silver looks and sometimes the gold!

• horsecrazy12987

May 18, 2011 at 6:55 pm

That would be awesome. I personally prefer the look of a silver pole, but I want the TG for better grip, so I'll just have to live with a gold pole. I'm sure I can manage to put up with it in return for not sliding all over the place.

• PlainJane

May 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Hmm. I must have mixed that up, sorry about that. Any way it was the one that was colored yellow

• FreeTheSun

May 19, 2011 at 1:07 am

True, color in the picture and upkeep (and smell) are something to consider. It's tough to decide on a good universal pole for pictures.

• Roxi

May 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm

ah thank you https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/bc563646-d89d-11df-ab19-12313b090e12 for posting this, it is exactly my question 🙂

finally found a room to pole in with a nice high ceiling, 14ft yeahiii.

Veena is the ceiling adapter also from Xpole? i can not find this adaptor on the europe Xpole-page grrr and what extra-extensions do you have?

Page 1 of 2