StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Learning Something Else…

• Hazi411

August 20, 2011 at 5:08 am

Great topic! I have been considering learning silks, which they teach at the studio I used to go to, but had to go elsewhere as they don't schedule their advanced pole classes at a time that suits me.  The girls at the studio told me that it's great for upper body strength (which I need!), so I still might give it a go.

• byrdgrrl

August 20, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I do silks too (pretty much only, lately).  It is so amazing.  When I climb up and wrap up, I feel like I'm flying.  Defying gravity is so much fun!  That said, though, it is a lot like pole in that you have to work on conditioning your body.  I have some yoga sequences and stretching sequences and well as strength training excercises that I do on a pretty regular basis to keep in shape.  Some times when I do a silk work-out, I just work on strengthening excercises. Several people on the thread have mentioned forearm and hand issues.  I have found that using a grip strengthener really helps.  The kind that I use is a red spongy ball that I squeeze and release.  It also has this built-in rubber band thing with finger loops so I can work on the reverse of squeezing too.  There are a couple of other kinds that are available at climbing shops and sporting goods places.  I try to use the ball on a regular basis as part of my usual work-out even when I can't get on my silks. I keep it right by my bed and use it right before I go to sleep.  Also, I have found that  stretching out my hands and forearms during and after silk work-outs helps me with the cramping and fatigue. I think Veena has some good stretches in her lessons.  Remember, like pole, the more you do it, the better you get!  

• Luna Marie

August 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I love silks. I started learning pole and silks at about the same time actually and I love them both equally though sadly I haven’t gotten as much time on silks lately as I would like 🙁 but it defiantly helps cross train for pole just like pole helps train for aerial silks 🙂

Page 2 of 2