StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Joining a Studio

• Joining a Studio

Posted by cbr600girl on September 18, 2009 at 6:19 pm

OK so a lot of girls on here also go to a studio for lessons. I’ve been thinking of going to one, but I keep getting turned off by one thing. Dance routine. I can’t dance, especially choreographed ones. I am a slow learner and wouldn’t want to hold up the class or ruin it. Any advice? Do all clubs make you do a dance routine?

nymphdancer replied 14 years, 10 months ago 7 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • amy

September 18, 2009 at 8:58 pm

hey cbr…

i take classes at sfactor, and have for a couple years. while it’s not perfect, and there are things that i would like to change, one thing that i do like about the way they teach the dance is that they introduce a lot of the elements and movements through the warmup. you get comfortable with that while you are learning how to put the moves together in a routine, so one reinforces the other. then when you get comfy with the movements and the "vocabulary" they encourage you to start freestyling so that you are doing your entire dance improv– that is the goal. honestly, i never perfectly memorized the entire routine, and it’s okay if you dont. i’m nto sure about other studios, but i have taken classes at crunch gym and they don’t make you do a routine either, and they have freestyle time at the end of class.

• miss fern

September 19, 2009 at 2:44 am

Pole classes are usually designed to accommodate for different levels of students. Pole isn’t like most other styles of dance, or even fitness, where everyone learns at a similar pace. Pole is determined HUGELY by your previous experience in dance and strength, and your muscle type, your body type etc etc etc etc. SoOoo all instructors know that girls learn at different paces, and any good studio will have instructors trained to compensate for this during every class.

Also, most studios I know of DON’T really do routines to start with. At least not til the end of the ‘block’ (6 weeks or whatever), or until the next ‘level’. They do however show you how to link moves together which can help you in creating your own routines at home.

• hoho

September 19, 2009 at 3:03 am

You will never "hold up or ruin" a class. When I took my first class, I had ZERO dance experience and even fewer dancing skills. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif I decided I would bring the enthusiasm, athleticism and a warm body and the teacher would bring the ability to teach me to dance. That is EXACTLY what happened. Everything was taught in 8 counts. So rather than think of conquering the entirety of a choreographed dance, I just took it 8 simple beats at a time. It worked out beautifully! Before I knew it, the 8 counts seamlessly blended into each other. Six weeks later, I totally rocked our show.

So, the absolute zero-skills dancer, became a dancer. I was hooked. Fast forward to now and I am an instructor. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif Every time I start teaching a new session, I smile, tell my students that they need to have fun and everything else is up to me. If they cannot dance, that is MY problem. I am there to teach pole dancing…yes, pole work and dancing. I very work hard to break down every move into a easy progression of very basic steps. If you can sort of walk, I can totally teach you to dance.

EACH student has strengths and weaknesses. Some may walk through the door and be able to dance amazingly well. Sweet. But I promise, you will be bringing unique strengths that will make these same girls glance at you and think, "CRAP! Why cannot I do that as easily as her?!!?" Also, next trip to the grocery store, pick 10 women randomly. This is a good representation of the women that will be in your class. A mix of body types, ages, experiences and goals. Each one will drive to their first class riddled with some fear of "holding up or ruining the class", yet not one of them will.

You have an interest and that cannot be taught! Relax, cut yourself some slack, let the instructor do her thing, and you will be amazed at your results. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• PhillyPoleJess

September 19, 2009 at 8:50 am

Not all places do dance routines… in fact the place i work we rarely do dance routines and if we do they are workshops or part of seductive.
    Fine a place that works on tricks and that might show you dance moves but doesnt expect everyone to do them.
    The thing about classes that don’t do routines though is there is A LOT more independent time because the instructor needs to show many moves some of which you may know already and some you may not.
    ALL of the studios around me don’t even do sessions they are all walk in or call to register that day. Sometimes it can be hectic not knowing exactly who will show up but you should sill pick up some new things and also be instructed on ways not to hurt yourself as well as spotted

• Charley

September 19, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I do mixed ability/level classes and we hardly ever do choreo. What’s great about this is we start class on our poles after warm up and we all work together on simple movements like pirouetting, booty wiggles, body wiggles, getting up and down from the floor. I tell you what moves to do so we all work together, then move on to tricks for each level – while I am working with one level the other level is free to work on moves they already know and play with the moves we used in the beginning of class. This is nice because you don’t feel the rooms eyes on you and there is no counting – just you moving with the music how you want.

Pole dance doesn’t require you to dance with the beat, you can also dance with the undercurrent.

There is some learned squencing for example my intermediates (8-12 weeks in plus additional hour long classes 1x weekly) are working on the pole sit, x knee and wrist sit. That is their "power move" for their level this session. MOST places will teach in combinations like that or segments.

MAKE sure wherever you go they know to spot you, give you boosts, lifts, and that they have you working low to the floor. MAKE sure they teach you for your level and don’t push you past a comfort zone. I have girls who only dance about half of class time – THAT IS FINE! If you’re tired you need to be able to sit out and have some water. There should never be a push to over do it. Also be sure you are given ample practice time and review.

Make sure they pay attention to YOU. For example I have 2 intermediates – once who climbs lovely! The other is still struggling with the mechanics and uses the soles of her feet. So the one who is still trying to understnad what her body is doing is only allowed to climb wearing shoes of some sort so she cannot rely on her soles – which is what is making climbing so hard for her. Your instructor should know all your strengths and weaknesses, she should know everyone’s. The studio should be keeping a file on each student so that if you get a new instructor or a sub she knows where you are and what you need to work on and ofcourse make you do all the things you do perfectly to bring out that diva dancer!

I know this is long but I hope it helps. I have a hard time being breif about teaching. I love it too much.

• nymphdancer

June 14, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Pole classes are usually designed to accommodate for different levels of students. Pole isn’t like most other styles of dance, or even fitness, where everyone learns at a similar pace. Pole is determined HUGELY by your previous experience in dance and strength, and your muscle type, your body type etc etc etc etc. SoOoo all instructors know that girls learn at different paces, and any good studio will have instructors trained to compensate for this during every class.

Also, most studios I know of DON’T really do routines to start with. At least not til the end of the ‘block’ (6 weeks or whatever), or until the next ‘level’. They do however show you how to link moves together which can help you in creating your own routines at home.

ok know I’m dredging up old posts again but read this one with interest because I started out as an S factor at home girl learning from the video’s and such, did some classes while traveling with them.

The classes I took here recently are VERY structured, everyone is supposed to do every move (and the first spin was a hard one even for someone who has been dancing for years) and everyone learns the routine. Very robotic. Very opposite of what i had done before. I have some time scheduled over the next few months with several instructors at different studios in different states, and am looking forward to seeing how they do things.