StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Jasmine

• Jasmine

Posted by yogabeachbabe on September 24, 2009 at 6:34 pm

I’m trying to learn the Jasmine to get into the Superman. I just looked at wikipole but they don’t list it under that name and I’m not sure what else it is called, so I can’t pull up an image to show you–boo. But basically, you side climb up, the bottom leg straightens out and the top foot hook under that straightened leg (creating a sideways 4 shape). The top hand releases so you’re supported by the bottom one. The body is not horizontal, but more on a diagonal. I’m not sure if that’s painting a good picture, but that’s all I got right now! Anybody got any tips on this one?

Sassafrassle replied 14 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Sassafrassle

September 24, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I’m not entirely sure whether you want suggestions for help with the name or the move so I will suggest both:) It sounds to me like what you’re describing is the Shooting Star (I would have put the link to wikipole but it didn’t seem to specify the exact page when I followed it through to the pic). Personally, I prefer going into it from the starfish (the side v kind, not the hanging outwards just with your feet kind!) because I can get better height, giving a greater slippage allowance but that’s mostly because I’m not much of a side climber. The key thing is I think to push your hips forward so that you’re balanced and the pole is well braced against your straight leg thigh. And when that’s locked on, you can be stable enough to let go with both hands (like my profile pic).

• SissyBuns

September 24, 2009 at 7:35 pm
  • yogabeachbabe

September 25, 2009 at 12:48 am

Oh thank you, Sissy, for that link to Expert Village. I had always heard the pose called "jasmine" versus "jazzman"–but I like "jazzman" better! Sassafrassle, I’ve been trying and trying to push my hips forward and they just won’t go far enough. Grrrrr. Practice, practice, practice…grumble, grumble…

• Sassafrassle

September 25, 2009 at 9:08 am

Hm interesting – to me, that Jazzman/Jasmine clip looked more like the Starburst than the Shooting Star so now I don’t know if I’m leading you astray with my advice!! If it’s the SS, then it is about getting a strong line through your body, bracing with the thigh and pushing forward with the hips (almost to the point of a gentle arch through your back) , but if it’s the Starburst, then it’s less about the hips and more about pushing down with your straight lower leg (as opposed to letting it drift upwards in the SS) and letting the pole sit more across your hips than thigh and almost folding your body round the pole rather than pushing out against it. I wish I was there to give you pointers because it’s very difficult to give advice in writing but now I’m interested in finding out which it is and helping you achieve it! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif