StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Is this typical?

• Is this typical?

Posted by Salfies87 on February 4, 2010 at 4:12 am

I’ve been poling for about 6 months now and have made considerable progress. However, I am wondering if I am doing something wrong when I invert. I get this intense burning on my finger tips. Like, one night I seriously rubbed off part of my fingerprint! It hurt so bad and took awhile for it to heal up. I know there is the term "beginner death grip"…But I never get this burning while I’m doing other spins and stuff…only inverting.

I’ve been trying to do the Gemini for a couple of weeks and I get into position, but can’t hold it because of my fingertips. Any recommendations? I really don’t think I could let go a little more because I already feel as if I’m going to fall, and I did have my very first fall in the entire time I’ve been poling about 4 weeks ago, so I never want to do that again…hurt bad =(

I wouldn’t think so, but would Mighty Grip help ease the fingertip burn? Is this common?

What else can I try to do from an invert? I really want to get this GEMINI though!!

Thanks girls!

Fleur replied 14 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Fleur

February 4, 2010 at 6:02 am

Hmm, I haven’t heard of this before. Is your skin peeling and that’s why it’s burning? Or do you just get the sensation of burning? If it’s the sensation, that would indicate nerve activity and needs to be treated right away since you don’t want to end up with numb fingers! If it’s the skin itself that is becoming irritated, I would suggest moisturizing your hands with a thick cream at night. Also, it’s important to realize that the palm of your hand is what is giving you maximum friction on the pole, not your fingers! This will help ease the death grip common in beginners as you learn to use your entire hand to grip the pole instead of stressing your poor little fingers! Here is a great and interesting video about hand grip for pole, she takes her time walking you through it but I promise if you watch the whole thing you will learn some interesting things that apply to pole and hand grip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpujDGXcZvM

Hope that helps!

~Fleur