StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Is anyone else in gymnastics?

• Is anyone else in gymnastics?

Posted by MissJulie on November 12, 2009 at 4:10 am

Ok so my favorite videos to watch on you tube are always Girlfriend Fun and Fitnesses… I love their gymnastics style of pole and I want to have that power to be able to do things I cant do now like flag mount, cartwheels, and handsprings.

I’ve been doing adult gymnastics for six months…. I still can’t do a cartwheel. I get scared of falling on my head and fall over to the side or I just can’t get my legs straight. I can barely hold a handstand for more than two seconds. My splits are okay but I can’t get into them any way other than very slowly. I can fall back into a backbend but can’t kick into a back walkover. My "coach" has no interest in spotting me unless I ask, really he spends all his time on the already-advanced students who did gymnastics when they were children/teens (I’m almost 30 and brand new to it). They don’t even give us the whole studio- we have to share a small square of it with a loud annoying cheerleading team.

Also when I bring this up to other people they act like I’m retarded- why can’t I do a cartwheel? I brought my boyfriend, who has no flexibility and has never done a gymnastics class before- and he was able to do a cartwheel and a roundoff the first class he tried.

I’m starting to think I should just spend my time doing the strength based stuff I’m actually good at.. rock climbing, aerial arts, etc… and give up on power. but it sucks!!! Does anyone have a problem like this???

Julie

bttrswtbeauty replied 14 years, 8 months ago 12 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

November 12, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I so would not give money to someone who was not helping me.

Have you tried plyometrics?

• Pixie Daye

November 12, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Also when I bring this up to other people they act like I’m retarded- why can’t I do a cartwheel?

You are NOT retarded- do NOT think this. I have never been able to do a cartwheel either. Some people just can’t! Don’t be too hard on yourself, and certainly don’t allow others to make you doubt yourself. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

My "coach" has no interest in spotting me unless I ask, really he spends all his time on the already-advanced students who did gymnastics when they were children/teens (I’m almost 30 and brand new to it).

If this is something you’re really enjoying, get rid of your "coach" and find someone who is going to meet your needs. Clearly, this person is not working for or with you. Just shop around and find someone who really clicks- a good training style can go a very long way. Don’t give up! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Veena

Administrator
    November 12, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Awww don’t give up! It sounds like you just haven’t found the right gymnastics class. Starting with that kind of exercise is very scary for someone with no background in it…so don’t feel bad at all!!! Have you thought about working on some yoga, this can work well to get you in touch with your body and you can focus on balance too. Having good body awareness is key in learning new tricks, both on and off the pole, some have it naturally some have to learn. BUT YOU CAN LEARN. The mind body connection is so important. I would also say spending time working on elbow and handstands…first with the wall then moving on to the pole can be helpful, doing them often will help you become more accustomed to the inverted/upside down feeling. Our bodies are amazing and you have to learn to trust your bodies ability, once you do that the sky is the limit!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• jellycat1

November 12, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Don’t feel bad. I have never been able to do a cartwheel. EVER. I failed 6th grade gym because of it. 22 years later, I’ve made peace with it, and am hoping I’ll be able to do a pole cartwheel someday instead.

I would look for a different class if I were you. Your coach sounds like he’s a jerk. And maybe a different teacher would have some insight into WHY your body won’t go that way.

• Sanchara

November 13, 2009 at 8:43 am

I’m not in gymnastics yet but my Equestrian Vaulting (gymnastics and acrobatics on the back of a moving horse) coach want’s me to go as soon as I have the money.

Cartwheels are not as easy as people make them out to sound. I agree with Veena’s sugestion of working on *Body Awarenes*. generally working on your *Physical Literacy* will make things like cartwheels easier.

Aside from handstands and such on the wall you can practice sommersaults and other rolls in multiple directions.

Maybe you should tell your coach how you feel. It’s really important to have good communication with your coach.

• MiszPheonix

November 14, 2009 at 12:27 am

Hii =)
    I used to be in gymnastics for awhile when i was smaller. I think you may need to find a new gym. If the instructor wont even give you the time of day to spot you, that’s not a good place to learn gymnastics. Everyone learns at their own pace, and not being able to hold a handstand very long really isn’t that big of a deal.
    Surprisingly, cartwheels are only like a second long while being on your hands. If you take a deep breath and just go for it, i promise you won’t break your neck. (Just make sure you have a mat down. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif )

Whenever you attempt the cartwheel, do you end up sorta like "flipping" over? It’s kinda hard to explain but i may know what your doing wrong. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Just don’t give up! <3

Oh! and kicking over for a back walkover is tough. you really, really have to kick.

• Veena

Administrator
    November 14, 2009 at 1:56 am

The suggesting for the hand and elbow stands are to get your body use to the feeling of going upside down, a cartwheel is nothing like a handstand really. Just so your not confused about why I would suggest that. People who have never done much inverted/upside down as a kid, have a scary time with things of that nature, when they are older. I still say find a more understanding instructor. lol

• Sanchara

November 14, 2009 at 3:10 am

Ah, I was talking about general Physical Literacy, Where the result of improvment is that new exercises are easier to learn. Getting used to the idea of being upside-down is just one very small peice of that. One also has to develop the abillity to find oneself in space while in motion.

I have a bunch of specific exercises for cartwheels but…they be difficult to expain by typeing., a cartwheel is nothing like a handstand really.l

except for the part where you’re traveling through a sideways, straddled handstand. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_razz.gif

• GatorGirl4Life

November 14, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I was a competitive gymnast for many years, and I REALLY suggest you finding a more qualified gym coach. The coach should be there to help you feel more comfortable and confident to try out new (and scary) things. If they are not there with you all the way, spotting and being there for emotional support, then they are NOT A COACH. Gymnastics can be very dangerous and scary, and if you are not sure at all about what you are doing, then the potential for injury sky rockets. I have seen many girls at the gym I used to train at get hurt for trying things they were not ready for, because the coach did not spot them…..Many broken bones and injuries that will follow these women for the rest of their lives. I’m not trying to scare you, but a good coach really knows about spotting, safety and making the gymnast feel SAFE and comfortable when trying new tricks. Please look into a more conscious coach that will make you feel more comfortable, safe and confident! And don’t worry about the cartwheels and handstand things, just work on what the others have suggested (up against a wall, Yoga, maybe even Pilates) so that you can gain more awareness of your body and balance. Remember this stuff happens OVER TIME NOT OVER NIGHT! Good luck!

• Charley

November 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm

There is nothing wrong with YOU there is something wrong with the way you are being trained.

Even if you have to go over something a million times with a student – you do it, you spot them, you help them. not everyone can do everything right off. Fear is a HUGE factor when you are new to something – if they can’t understand that then you really should go elsewhere. It takes time to conquer fear. I takes time to conquer our bodies.

• minicoopergrl

December 9, 2009 at 11:51 am

like the other ladies said – time to get a new instructor. Every instructor wants to see you succeed in class, even if it takes longer than everyone else. I cant tell you how long it took me to go inverted but my instructors kept working with me until I got it.

I did gymnastics/cheerleading as a kid. I still cant backhandspring. The fear of falling on your head is very common, I have it when im on the pole. Its a fear you just have to get over.

Id do yoga or pilates. Like everyone else said, having that awareness w/your body is going to help with getting some of those things down.

I would love to do a handstand against the pole but im worried about my legs going to one side and completely missing the pole (thats normally my luck) https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

• verucablue

December 9, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I did gymnastics from age 3 through college…everything everyone said here about finding a new coach/gym is correct – I would just add that when you are looking try if possible to find a class where everyone is at the same level – a beginner course.

By taking a class where everyone is a beginner you will learn/progress together. It also means the teacher/coach is geared towards focusing on beginners and building beginning skills. Trust me this will make for a better experience all around https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• bttrswtbeauty

December 10, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I was a gymnast for 15 years and I know exactly what you’re talking about with being scared. Honestly, if you’re too scared to do it either you need to try to overcome the fear or gymnastics just isn’t for you. The last couple of years I competed I just developed this horrible fear of pretty much everything. When I was 13, I broke both bones in my right forearm, had 4 surgeries, and was out for 2 years. When I returned I just was so scared to try new things fearing that I would fall again… I started having anxiety attacks before competitions and finally I was just like you know, I can’t do this anymore… I’m not excelling, and I’m not enjoying myself. Sadly I had to quit…. I wish I could have found some way to overcome those fears but nothing seemed to work.

I agree with what some of the other girls have said… you need a better coach. Gymnastics is really heard to get the hang of when you’re an adult and you really need someone who is patient and dedicated to helping you with it.