StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Iron Transfusion/Therapy

• Iron Transfusion/Therapy

Posted by megs982 on April 28, 2010 at 9:29 am

Has Anyone had this? I am very iron deficent..My iron stores are down to atleast 7% (as of 2mths ago, probably worse now). They are suppose to be 20%+ i believe. I had my first iron infusion yesterday…It was fine at first..Then about 3 hrs after i left the outpatient and came home and took a nap..woke up i felt like a mix of someone beat me in my sleep to a bad case of the flu..Also had a 100 degree fever. I was just looking to see if anyone here has gone through these treatments. I just hope to feel better soon. I haven’t poled at all for the last week. I want too..i really really do..i stare at it, but as soon as i try to get on it i loose all motivation bc well my energy is just not there. I did so good my first three weeks. Probably pushed myself more then my energy wanted too..but had lost close to 3 inches all around my body. I dont even look at the scale anymore bc its depressing..I look in the mirror and finally in over a year starting to like what i see.. So i hope these infusion treatments make me feel better. My whole health crisis over the last few mths is in my blog..I had to come mope..its why i havent been around much for the last week..all i’ve wanted to do was sleep. Plus the dr put me on strictly estrogen and i swear i hate it. Freezing one min, hot flashes the next.. (sigh) anywho lol

Poleluver replied 14 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • amcut

April 28, 2010 at 4:20 pm

…..

I’m not sure about "iron transfusion", but generally after a blood transfusion, you’re possibly a little dizzy, but generally, and especially if you’re anemic you feel like a WHOLE NEW YOU. Like. Jumping jacks, cartwheels oh my god I feel so good.

So.. I don’t know what the difference between iron transfusion and blood transfusion are.. but I do know that you having a fever is bad mojo any way you cut it. I suggest you call the office and at the very least talk with a nurse about your symptoms.

• Poleluver

April 28, 2010 at 4:48 pm

so this is not aranesp injections but in clinic using a vein and needle for infusion with at least a nurse practioner maybe an RN? Is the site red and painful? I would call your clinic’s triage center just in case. I can’t remember what the infusion name is but if it’s not blood I used to start the stick for these several years ago and the nurse practitioner would slowly infuse but its been a while. Definately call, if you already did what did they say?

• megs982

April 28, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Well I have no redness..Both the muscle tenderness and low grade fever and less common side effects..but side effects still. Thankfully i feel better today..Not up to par like i did before the anemia..but i have 3 more rounds with the iron..

@Jennasmom..yes its the IV kind..They started it off slow and watched my vitals and i was doing fine then she turned it up..It normally takes only 30 mins.

• Poleluver

April 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Our clinic did venofir infustions. I hope you feel better. Hopefully the accumulated effects will pay off.
    http://www.thedrugmonitor.com/iron.html This link is just simple side effect lists of the different iron therapies. I don’t think it mentions for how long you may have these S/E.