StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Injury from splits on pole

• VanessaM2018

November 22, 2018 at 10:29 pm

Pretty pixie, you said you stretched 3-5 days a week- how long after the injury was this and how many months of stretching until you got your splits back?

• Pretty Pixie

November 24, 2018 at 2:11 pm

I started to lightly stretch (just to where you feel it, not going to any pain) about 6 weeks after my injury usually with a relaxed yoga flow. Consistency is the key to flexibility for me, so once I’m actually consistent I’ll see results quickly. However fear plays a big role after an injury and so it took me all of that 8 months to relax enough in my splits again, so I could see any progress. Then, it happened again and it literally took the same path to recovery. After about 8 months I was drinking wine with friends and we were goofing off and I dropped into my splits flat and that gave me the courage to start working on them again and when I did get consistent, I got them back within a couple months. Now it’s been a couple years injury free! Sounds like you’re already doing better than me, hopefully your injury is not as bad and these will be just worst case scenarios!

• GiedreB

November 24, 2018 at 8:14 pm

I tore mine on my right side pretty badly back in 2012, yep, six years ago. I still feel the consequences, my right leg is less flexible and it’s sometimes sore while stretching, no matter how warm I get. I guess it’s different for everybody, I never recovered fully from mine 🙁

• bearbrittany7144

November 26, 2018 at 9:49 pm

You have trigger points in the muscle which explains the pain travelling around. They can be massaged out. You should massage the muscle and then do contract/relax stretches to “soften” or relax the muscle before any kind of strength training. Palpate the affected muscle to feel for taut fibers(they feel like strings or tight bands of muscle). In the center of that muscle fiber you will feel a “knot”. That is the trigger point. We all have many of these, but your incident caused some active trigger points to occur which is why you feel pain/discomfort.
    I am in school for this type of bodywork still, so I am no expert. The good news is that you aren’t screwed and trigger points can easily be treated, but you have to know how, and that is the tricky part. They are confusing even most doctors don’t know about them unfortunately.

• VanessaM2018

June 23, 2019 at 8:14 am

Update: its been around 7 months since i tore my hamstring. Im more flexible than ever before (went up from 3 blocks pre-injury to 5 yesterday for oversplits) on both legs. Unfortunately my right hip (same hip as torn hamstring) still sometimes hurt a lot, and some nights the pain is so bad it wakes me up. To get my flexibility back I started doing super gentle mobility/active flexibility training a week in. After that i gradually incorporated more passive stretching and slooooowwwllly pushed more. I was super careful not to push past any sharp pain. As for the constant random hip pain, massage has been helping, and when it gets too expensive a lacrosse ball is magical. To everyone reading this, if you’ve torn something please please be patient. It’ll be okay, it just takes a while. I was in tears because the day after I couldn’t straighten my leg and i was scared i can never pole again. I was back at it after 3 weeks, and got my splits (square-ish on the floor) after about 2 months.

• VanessaM2018

June 23, 2019 at 8:18 am

To pretty pixie thanks so much for your messages in Nov 2018. It was super encouraging and helped a lot ❤️

Page 5 of 5