StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Injury from splits on pole

• Crystaljng

July 21, 2014 at 5:03 am

Lina, I guess it depends on what degree the injury is. For me, I heard the popping sound when it happened . I put ice immediately and I can definitely feel the pain. I have trouble bending down for weeks.

• Polebull

July 21, 2014 at 6:42 am

Lina, I have a mild strain but immediately felt it pop at the ischial tuberosity (butt bone) when I lifted my leg into box split. The pop, for me, was just a tendon rolling not a tear.

• Krista Bocko

July 21, 2014 at 6:48 am

@Lina–immediately–heard a ‘pop’ and knew I tore it.

• stickyvic

July 21, 2014 at 7:04 am

@Lina Mine was more of a crunching tearing sound … not pleasant! I felt it in my left glute straight away and had to stop and put ice on it but it then travelled round my left hip area and hamstring .. it seems to have spread.. even into lower back.. it aint pretty!!!!!

• Phoenix Hunter

July 21, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Lina, I was in An Oversplits. Heard a loud pop, followed by a tearing sound. No pain when it happened, which is unusual. Only the sound let me know something was wrong. Could hardly wAlk for two weeks, not necessarily pAinful but my muscle just did not function.

• Lina Spiralyne

July 21, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Thanks! But I have to say ugh about all those sounds :(. There’s another girl who hangs around here who tore her hamstrings badly I think by the end of last year and is still not recovered. Not an encouraging story but anyway… I don’t know if it helps to apply heat.

I tear my hamstrings now and then to some extent. Obviously not to a larger one since I’ve always been healed in a few days or a week. Never heard any sounds from it, and I very rarely notice at the time when it happens. It’s noticeable on the next day. A bit of overstretching in my case simply, it seems to me.

• grayeyes

July 21, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I didn’t hear anything or feel a pop but I knew I had pulled it while still in the yoga class because it was already sore. I limped a bit for a few days. It throbbed off and on for months after, even while lying in bed. I just realized today it probably hasn’t throbbed for a month or so–of course I’m five months out now.

I just got the Dara Torres DVD today and did all the stretches. This resistance stretching thing still seems very weird to me but I’m going to give it a try.

• Ava Madison

July 22, 2014 at 8:12 am

Wow, a lot of ladies going through this… healing vibes to you all!

• Phoenix Hunter

July 22, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I was fully warmed up. Wasn’t straining. Looking back , there was no warning. That’s why it hAs scared me so bad. I was within my range, so I thought. I was trying to fix my posture while I was in a split. Just shifting around and it snapped. I think my muscle was just too weak. If your muscles are stronger they are less likely to teAr. My flexibility surpassed my strength. I say work equally on strengthening the muscles your are stretching

• Kate O

July 23, 2014 at 9:31 am

I’m off to a stretch class on Saturday, and safe to say this thread has terrified me!!
    I hope you all get better soon!

• Skullpixie

July 23, 2014 at 9:47 am

Ah don’t let it worry you Kate just take it easy. Remember don’t force your stretches and never bounce in them either. Nothing should feel really painful if does ease off straight away.

• stickyvic

July 23, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Pheonix hunter – that is the exact same thing that happened to me!!! No warning and I was fully warmed up and able to do the splits fairly easily … really strange! I think you are right though as I am loads stronger than I am flexible so maybe that is the cause! .. x

• CatsEyes

July 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm

It was very sudden for me as well and I was warmed up, it was at the end of my training.

I thought maybe I was tired and overdid my drop split (I did it thrice before I felt pain) and a lack of strength.
    I was so angry at myself because I was video recording a choreo for Pole And Aerial ‘s Joy of Dance when it happened (life is so ironic ahah!!)and I wanted it perfect so I decided to do it one more time…and ended up injured !

• grayeyes

July 23, 2014 at 6:16 pm

No warning for me either and we had been in the yoga class for at least 30 minutes. I will say that the only time I have worked on splits in recent years has been when I’ve done Felix Cane’s flexibility DVD, which is a really long warmup before you get to splits so perhaps, for my old body, 30 minutes wasn’t enough since it wasn’t all hamstring/leg warmup in yoga. Don’t know–never for a minute when I left that class did I think it would be anything more than a week or two to heal–I only wish that had been true!

• Pretty Pixie

July 24, 2014 at 6:47 am

Late to the party, but I found some interesting info after reading through this thread, trying to ascertain whether I’ve pulled something or not. This site even has a pdf checklist for hamstring rehab.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/thigh-pain/hamstring-strain

I was doing splits training and during the right split stretch I felt (no sound) a tiny twinge around the back of my knee. I instantly quit the stretch. Afterwards, it felt kinda sore and jelly like (as usual after a good flex training sesh). Next 3 days I rested, during which it only feels slightly sore when used. 4th day I did some light stretches and it’s still sitting in slightly sore territory. I’ve been foam rolling and can’t really find pain anywhere, just a mild soreness that doesn’t go away. Ugh. I feel like I was plenty warmed up, I only stretch after a workout and my pole room is super hot, so I guess I just pushed a little too hard that time. There is too fine a line between pushing hard enough and not enough!

Page 2 of 5