StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions In Need of Some Support

• Evie Bloom

September 10, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I really don’t see why she should think it is okay to insist your hair must be down for pole and yoga. From a safety aspect and of course depending on the length of your hair it can cause all kinds of trouble from not being able to see what your instructor is showing you to leaning/ getting caught on it or accidentally choking on it a little if it goes in your face. Or worse of all the old hair between your skin and the pole slipperoo (the main reason I had about half my hair cut off when I started poling due to a wee fright in class where there was no pole/skin grip only slidey hair)

I have only experienced one yoga teacher and she was all about what makes you feel comfortable, giving different variants on poses for people with injuries and saying to only hold poses as long as you feel comfortable. At the end you would feel so much better.

I find it so strange your classes would not focus on positivity rather than regiment! I hope you find a solution

• Phoenix Hunter

September 10, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I wonder why she is so insistent on making you wear your hair down and uncomfortable. That shit is stupid. I can’t see when my hair is down in my face. It also makes me sweaty and slippery, it becomes a safety issue. Seems unnecessary.

• Princess Buttercup

September 10, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I agree with most of you that a yoga class is and should be a learn at your own level. I also agree that wearing hair up is not a safety hazard, in fact Evie, I was thinking the same, thing it can be a problem having it down. In one of her more recent emails, she also states that having the hair down is supposed to prepare you for having it down when you dance so as to not get you off balance…. She also insists that we all wear shoes which I also feel is unnecessary, and many have left the program because they are uncomfortable wearing platform stilletos.

Chem- to answer your questions: 1. I have had issues with her form the beginning because she is proprietary and acts often like she “owns” pole dancing. She has renamed all of the common moves to have yoga names. I have been avoiding taking classes with her because I was afraid of a personality clash. 2. I wouldnt say I am adamant about getting to level 7, just that I am adamant about wanting to continue to learn new material. If I stay in level 6, I learn the same material over and over again. Levels 1-6 are all unchanging set courses, whereas level 7 continues to evolve as the final level in her program. 6. I am not disagreeing that we have a personality clash, but I do think that she should not force me to be at a certain point in my journey in pole or yoga, that is for me to come to.

After some consideration, I am trying to schedule my private lessons with a teacher that I have taken classes from and am comfortable around. Because the owner is the only one who teaches level 7, I think it likely I wont ever make it to lvl 7 in the group class. So I am working towards taking private lessons with others when I am out of town. I already scheduled a class with Amber Wolf when I am in So cal in November!

• grayeyes

September 10, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I think your rigid instructor should “think long and hard” about why it’s so important to HER that you have your hair down. Ridiculous.

I actually think the idea of pole and yoga together sounds interesting but renaming everything seems a little silly (and arrogant), and the rigid rules are, as someone else said, rather anti-yoga.

I also find it interesting that she insists on platform heels for her yoga-style pole. I don’t think heels and yoga even belong in the same sentence. It’s a shame there is not another studio nearby because it sounds like they might have some ready-made clients who are tired of pole dancing under the soup nazi’s tutelage.

• Anonyma

September 11, 2014 at 1:00 am

what the hell…. lol tell her to F off that youll wear your hair the way you want! Jeez im rude!

• Lina Spiralyne

September 11, 2014 at 9:31 am

Mind and body are not separable, so far so true. Her mistake is to think that the way of getting out of
    one’s comfort zone is the same for everyone. She should have accepted your resistance for hair down and instead discussed with you about a way getting out of your comfort zone that you think could work for you.

Because, just like every body is different, every mind is as well.

….can’t help wonderig….what happens to the studens with short hair (or no hair), are they being handed
    wigs…?

• I polekat I

September 11, 2014 at 10:23 am

Agree, pole is too big and too varied now to say ‘if you want to pole you must do it exactly THIS way’ – there are so many different ways to pole dance now and not every style is right for everyone. At the end of the day it is your personal choice no one else’s – it’s not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing!! I appreciate this instructor may just be trying to push you to get the best out of yourself, but to me her methods go against the whole principle of yoga, literally completely the opposite! And i think her inflexibility & stubborness will serve to alienate her against those pupils which do not fit neatly in her box. It is a real shame there is not more competition in your area, sounds like she can do exactly what she wants as there is no-one else to challenge her to provide a better service or encourage her to listen to her students’ needs xoxox

• AllysonKendal

September 11, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Side note: for me a messy top knot = relaxed.

My hair down reminds me of like formal occasions. Sure I’ll let my hair down to dance sometimes. But if you’re talking yoga/relaxation/meditation, nothing is more freeing then a loose messy bun. 🙂

• Cazzzz

September 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm

She’s projecting her own journey onto those around her.
    The best way to keep it friendly is to honor each other as individuals.
    Don’t make the other person wrong so you can be right.
    Live and let live.
    Breathe and revel in our humanity.
    Peace. Love. Pole.

• ORGANIC ANGEL

September 12, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Wtf! How u have your hair is up to u! It may relax u to have it up. Find another studio this lady sounds like a quack.

• blueyedgrl

September 16, 2014 at 8:43 am

I wear my hair up in a messy bun with a Bolderband headband cause I sweat like a maniac. I wouldn’t want to wear my hair down. I can’t stand feeling my hair being all sweaty in my face. Do what makes YOU comfortable. Pole can be freeing hair up or down.

Page 2 of 2