StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Implanon, Mirena, Depo

• JhennD

October 5, 2012 at 2:55 am

I have implanon. Reason- I thought it would be best for my lifestyle (at time of insert) and was afraid planned parenthood would shut down (can’t afford $390 for 3 months of pills).
    At the time I didn’t pole; I had multiple partners (was in open relationship, monogamous now); no births; mum & grandma had issues with IUDs. I don’t want kids, would rather be sterilized. Afraid Nuva Ring wouldn’t be inserted properly. I had to have my dad put in my retainer, because it didn’t click. And contacts- same thing (hopeless)
    Periods have always been light max 3 days, before, I only needed light absorbency tampons. Since implanon lighter bleeding infrequently, always. Sometimes months, days, whatever , I take a urine preg test every month, scared.
    No weight gain till I had cosmetic surgery, (couldn’t workout, then after I got clearance) the added weight doubled 8 pounds to 20 pounds, I can’t get off. I’m coming to terms with it. The warning did say weight gain possible.
    Mood swings are desperate. I want to get a punching bag & do bad things to it. Sisters and mum have issues with hormonal pills, they choose different paths.
    I’m afraid I might break it ( inside left arm, right is dominate) if I try certain holds- the bruises look different & are sore different.
    I haven’t made an appt for removal because I’m afraid pp might not have funding, & having a kid is not for me (my bf would marry me if I wanted kids, that’s why we were in open relationship).
    I wonder if it can be moved, or get a life time supply of pills, or security of birth control for my future. Or secretly get sterilized ( I was told it was a not a choice for non mothers)

• Hazelnut

October 5, 2012 at 6:30 am

Well I'm in the UK where birth control is 100% free so I didn't have to worry about the cash aspect of it! But I'm on my third implanon and LOVE IT. I got my first when I was 19 and have never had any problems, I have had a years break in between numbers 1 and 2 when I went on the pill but I felt the implanon was easier and less worry for me.

When I got my first I had spotting for 6 weeks but since then it's been amazing. I get occasional light periods – like, 3 days of panty-liner-worth, not even worth buying tampons…I get these about 4 times a year. I think they correlate with stress or going abroad/changes in diet/sleep/etc though because they aren't every regular 4 months – I have gone 9 months easily without ANYTHING before!

I don't get any mood swings, or breakouts, or weight gain. Obviously everyone is different and I have advised friends to get Implanon, only for them to hate it and have it out again 3 months later! But personally it's been amazing. It's on my right arm and I tend to invert on my left side so it's fine – but honestly, I think as long as you let it settle in properly (don't pole for a week or so after it's in and the bruising is gone) it will be fine with all pole moves. Maybe yogini, if the pole is pressing RIGHT on the implanon rod, would be bad but other than that I can't think of anything.

Good luck deciding!!!

• Schtoffen

October 5, 2012 at 9:28 am

Be a bit wary of implants and check out the stats on side affects first…

Just because I got mine, had nothing for a month and then a CONSTANT period for months on end. In the end I had it taken out. It was totally miserable. And I h6ad to wait over six months to see if it was just my body settling. Eventually after ten months with it in they agreed it wasn't right. Apparently not everyone reacts well to prog. only birth control. So it's a great little thing, if it works!  ðŸ™‚

• HyperHorsegirl

October 5, 2012 at 10:15 am

I know I can't do the NuvaRing. I used it in college and loved it for a while, but after about 9 months – 1 year of using it, I started to react horribly every time I put it in. It felt like my insides would swell and I'd get all itchy. It sucks so much to itch on the INSIDE of your body. I couldn't do anything. Everything hurt. Even the friction of my clothes as I walked would be too much and I was constantly uncomfortable. My doctors screened for STIs (which didn't even make sense for me as I have been very safe and monogomous), yeast infections, other bacterial infections, etc. and couldn't find anything wrong with me to cause the itching. They just told me to switch to uncented laundry detergent, wear only breathable cotton clothes, and don't use any soaps with dyes or scents. Of course, the itching persisted and I got so fed up. My boyfriend suggested I take out the Ring for a while, since I could barely stomach to put it in or have it in anyway and after a month of not wearing it, the itching subsided. I'm not sure what caused it, but I haven't had that same feeling since stopping the Nuva Ring. It's why I switched to the Pill in the first place.

• phedre

October 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I can't do any hormonal birth control.  Not a single one, if you mess with hormones, I go crazy.  My doctor ended up giving me the ParaGard.  It's made out of copper, though, so if you have any metal sensitivities/allergies, I don't recommend it.  Also, it might make you bleed a little more often.  However, it's a highly effective alternative to hormone based birth control, and it lasts for ten years.

• OzarkSiren

October 5, 2012 at 11:40 pm

So glad the days of birth control are now behind me. I went into Menopause late at 58 and got through it easily.Great not to have periods anymore or worry about pregnancy.

My first child was a BC Pill baby, my second I got pg on the sponge and had a misscarriage.  I then had an IUD put in. I had a copper 7 IUD that grew into my uterus and I had a tubal pregnancy with it imbeded in my uterus. I almost died and I almost had to have a hysterectomy. I am not a fan of IUDs. I was fortunate to go onto have twins with only one tube years later. I was told I would never have anymore children because of the IUD. They work for some people but my experience was not good.

I have tried all sorts of BC pills, Diaphram, sponge, depo shot ( made me bleed all month long) and finally I got started on a BC pill from Germany called Diane made by Shering. A Doctor I worked for recommended it and I had to order it from Mexico. It really agreed with me and I took it for years all the way to 55. I felt great on it and was thin, Not one problem. Then they recommended I go off of it because of my age. I took it for 15 years.

I have a friend who was on that BC pill that keeps you from having periods every month? She took it quite a while. Now she does not have regular periods and cannot get pregnant. Not sure that BC pill is good for you.  I have to wonder if it was that pill that messed up her ovulation?

• CD Hussey fka Jivete

October 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

I had a copper IUD for 7-8 years. I actually had heavier periods and more cramping. Eventually I had to take it out because I had a minor infection. In fact, I think I had it for a long time.

So the IUD, while a great form of birth control, freaks me out a little because I did have some problems with it. I have been thinking about the Mirena, but I'm a little hesitant. I did Depo once. Not for me.

• scubagirl

November 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I have policystic ovaries, so I have no choice but to be on the pill. I get HORRIBLE migraines because of the estrogen in the pill. I tried Mirena, but it didn't supress my ovaries enough so they were loaded with cysts. Painful and uncomfortable. Plus (and I've heard this from other women) the odor from the Mirena was disgusting and foul. I wouldn't even allow my husband near me because it was so bad. My doc put me back on the pill in addition to the Mirena and the odor went away. But my ovaries still would not cooperate. Needless to say I had it taken out and have stayed on just the pill. Sucks getting a period again, but my ovaries are back to "normal". Good luck on wahtever you decide.

• acoretacri

November 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Unfortunetly there is no birth control that doesn't have the potential for side effects and the frequency and severity of those side effects vary. Most of the common side effects are documented and the rare serious ones are reported. It is more about what your individual reaction to each type is and how much you don't want to get pregnant for contraception purposes. It is important to always keep in mind when considering side effects what are the side effects of pregnancy let alone the whole having a baby . Unfortunately there is not prediction what each person will do until you try each method. Each woman is individual in her needs in term of ability to consistently use the method, acceptable side effects, level of effectiveness, acceptable risks, and desire for additional benefits from a method (ex, combine oral contraceptive frequently reduce cyst formation in PCOS and may reduce acne). "Contraceptive methods" can commonly be used as primary treatments for some problems.

Some of the side effects can be fixed.  Ex: for people who have bleeding with progesterone only methods. Oral contraceptives were designed with estrogen to stablize the endometrium while the progesterone protects for pregnancy by suppressing ovulation and increasing cervial mucus. Unless estrogen is contraindicated, it can be used to stabilize the endometrium in theory. So far I haven't seen this implemented too often in practice unfortunately. Others such as a latex condom allergy can only be fixed by using a different type of condom. Side effects can also be a plus. If you want little to no peroid,  oral contraceptive and mirena are good for the majority of people.

Contraceptive Technology is the "bible" used by healthcare providers. I like the http://bedsider.org/ because it helps you select methods based on your priorities. The authors of Contraceptive Technology are supposed to be writing a book called Safely Sexual that will be geared to the public. I am not sure quite what will be in it, but it is supposed to have contraception covered. Unfortunely even healthcare providers do not agree on methods. The midwives I work with don't reccomend lactation amenorrhea but I do as long as you can do it correctly and are okay with the effectiveness level I support it. The most important thing is to be well informed. Studies show if people are adequately educated they are more likely to continue their chosen method, which implies they are less likely to get pregnant.

I apologize if this sounds like a rant or offended anyone. I am very passionate about helping women with their reproductive choices, so it is probably good that is what I plan to do (women's health nurse practitioner). I have future plans to work on easy to read patient handout explaining each method, common side effects, serious risks, and how to use the method in a two sided black and white page. I would like to be able to hand these out to patients to reinforce my family planning counseling. If anyone is interested in giving me feedback in the next year to help improve them, please message me .

Technical notes: Mirena and Paraguard (IUDs available in US) are approved for use in women who have not had children. It may be more uncomfortable during/after insertion. Monogamy is also no longer a requirement for an IUD, because IUDs do not increase risk for pelvic infection. A 5lb weight gain and an increased risk of osteoporisis with a greater than 2 year use of depo have also been shown for depo.

• chemgoddess1

November 27, 2012 at 8:39 pm

BV is a common issue with the Mirena but if you know the signs you can easily treat it at the start and not have to get a prescription.  Unfortunately most people are familiar with yeast infections but not with their counterpart.

• Forever Young

November 28, 2012 at 1:36 am

I am currently on the depo injection and love it!
    For me – I was getting hormonal migraines every month just before my periods and it was getting worse and worse. Plus, I am over 40 and am on RA medication which cannot be used during pregnancy so I wanted a BC method that was reliable (no more kids for me) and would help with my migraines. Since taking the Depo injections I have not had one migraine, no periods what-so-ever, no cramping, no weight gain.
    I love it and have been taking it for almost 2 years now. As everyone has said – not everything will work for everyone, sometimes only trial and error is the only way to know what works for you!
    Good luck

Page 4 of 4