StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions I am looking for a exercise class to help with core strength

• I am looking for a exercise class to help with core strength

Posted by babyicebean on August 4, 2009 at 2:57 pm

and am wondering if Pilates is any help?

I did ballet and Pilates when I was younger and the Pilates helped with the ballet so I was wondering if Pilates is any good with poledancing?

FreeTheSun replied 14 years, 12 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • yogabeachbabe

August 4, 2009 at 3:28 pm

While Pilates will definitely help you build core strength, I personally feel that Gyrokinesis is a better compliment to pole dancing. One teacher (who is both Pilates and Gyrotonic certified) said that Pilates is like ballet, whereas Gyrotonic/Gyrokinesis is like modern dance. Gyrotonic/Gyrokinesis works multi-dimensionally and spirals away from the spine, utilising snaking or sinewy motions. Not sure where you are in the UK, but I know there are lots of instructors in London and right outside.

• FreeTheSun

August 4, 2009 at 6:39 pm

I so want to try Gyrokinesis. There is one place that does it near me but their schedule doesn’t work for me currently. but hopefully I’ll get to try it eventually. I hear such great thing about it, especially for pole dance.

• yogabeachbabe

August 4, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I am a little more than biased as I am a Gyrotonic and Gyrokinesis instructor! I have found that they have helped me understand pole a whole lot more. It all dovetails into one another. Where do you live, FreeTheSun?

• FreeTheSun

August 5, 2009 at 12:30 am

I’m in seattle.
    I googled a bit more today and a few other locations popped up but almost all in the weekday mornings or on saturday mornings which are all times I’m working. I hope to be free more saturday mornings soon. The one place that does it at night does it on the nights I currently work as well. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_neutral.gif
    Once my schedule is free I hope to be able to go to at least one of these places.
    How often should you practice? Most of these places offer it one time a week (one place offers it twice a week which I think would be better), which seems too little to me, but maybe with pole in there too it wouldn’t be too bad.

• yogabeachbabe

August 5, 2009 at 1:08 am

I would HIGHLY recommend Mia Munroe. She is lovely and super talented Gyrokinesis Master Trainer and an allaround great gal. I’m not sure of her schedule but you can Google her. (And if you do end up taking classes with her, please tell her that Sasha in Las Vegas sends a big hug and kiss!)

The thing about Gyrokinesis is that it’s like giving yourself a deep massage. As great as that sounds, it’s not something that you can do every day or even every other day–your body needs to recover and assimilate the movement you’ve just fed it. But it is addictive (just like pole) and your body craves it after experiencing it. If you weren’t poling, I’d say go for the 2 classes per week, but since you are dedicated to your pole (plus other things, probably), start with 1 class and see what your body says. Your spine will open and your pole practice will blossom–I promise!

• miss fern

August 5, 2009 at 1:25 am

If you can only fit in one pilates/gyrokinesis class a week, perhaps you could do 1 or 2 ABT classes at your local gym/school/uni in between? "Abs, Bums and Tums", "Abs, Butts and Thighs" – the names vary from place to place but essential they workout your stomach (abs and obliques), and your legs (quads especially) and your butt (glutes). I used to do them and they were great. Just one 45-60 min class, twice a week was fantastic. I’d need about 2 days of recovery haha!

• FreeTheSun

August 5, 2009 at 3:14 am

Mia Munroe was the one I was wanting to go do classes with! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif I’m glad to hear you recommend her so highly. She does them all around town (still in the mornings though) and at the spectrum dance theater (which I figured is a good recommendation too) so I will be sure to tell her you say hi if/when I eventually manage to get to a class of hers.

I figured there must be something I didn’t know about it that made so many places offer it only once a week but that makes sense. You have to give your body time to recover. Thanks for letting me know why.

Georgia: Those intensive classes are fun too. I used to do a Krav Maga class so more overall intensive (unfortunetly far away and eventually they stopped offering it) and I needed a few days to recover from that too, but it was a good recovery. I liked it a lot.