StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How to watch yourself spin?

• How to watch yourself spin?

Posted by HunnyHeatha on February 11, 2010 at 3:44 am

How do you watch yourself when you’re doing spins to see if you’re doing them correctly? This seems like a silly question but it’s been bothering me for a few weeks!
    I’ve done about 6 lessons at a studio and I’ve found it difficult to tell whether or not I’m using the correct form when doing spins. The instructors are helpful, but sometimes you just need to see what you’re doing in order to make it look better!
    Is the only way to record myself and then watch it back? Or is there some "watch yourself in the mirror while spinning" trick that I can’t seem to figure out!!

GatorGirl4Life replied 14 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Audball

February 11, 2010 at 9:42 am

Once I tried looking in the mirror while doing a reverse grab spin. Bad idea! Got a major neck cramp! Unless you have mirrors everywhere, it’s probably pretty impossible. Video yourself and watch it back. I do it during all of my practices when I can, and it’s amazing what you see on the video that you never would have noticed otherwise!

• polergirl

February 11, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I sneak peeks at myself constantly so I can adjust body position, etc. Eventually you get used to it. I always know where my mirrors/audience are! Developing and expanding your peripheral vision, if you can, is a good thing too. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• SissyBuns

February 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I don’t usually have a problem catching myself in the mirror, but in my pole room and I mirrirs on 3 of the 4 wallas around me so that might actually be why LOL.

Recording yourself is super helpful. Try it. You’ll be suprised.

• jeng

February 11, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I always tape all my pole practices then watch them back especially when I’m learning new tricks so I can see what I’m doing correctly and what I might be doing wrong.

• witeroze

February 27, 2010 at 1:23 am

i only have a big mirror on one side of my room, and i can’t see myself doing the whole spin (i use video for that) but i try to start the spin in a spot that will give me the mirror view at the good part of the spin (like in the middle of the spin… and usually catch a bit of the ending, since the spins are usually a bit more than one full spin around the pole)… if that makes any sense to you lol.

• SandyBrown

February 27, 2010 at 1:42 am

I also agree with taping yourself. I find that it helps me correct what’s not looking right, and it also helps in your improvement and gives you more ideas on different spins and combos you can do.

• HunnyHeatha

February 27, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Thanks for the tips!
    I’ve been using my camera that can take short videos to tape some of my practices. It has helped a lot!
    I’ve also set up a couple mirrors in my pole room so I can catch glimpses when I’m spinning!
    Thanks again!

• GatorGirl4Life

February 27, 2010 at 8:09 pm

video taping is the best way to go. Those little Flip video recorders are so easy to use, that I would recommend getting one! That way, you aren’t concentrating on looking at yourself in the mirror and creating bad habits with your technique. By video taping yourself, you can create a video journal of your progress! I was just watching some of my first videos that I made 3 years ago and refer back to them every time I feel like I’m having an "off" day on the pole. Seeing how far I have come along from those first videos always makes me feel better about the bad days I have sometimes.