StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How long did it take you to do the FRONT SPLITS?!

• How long did it take you to do the FRONT SPLITS?!

Posted by Colleen Larson on June 25, 2016 at 1:09 pm

One of my goals is to be able to do the FRONT SPLITS. I’ve been pole dancing for about four years, but I don’t have a dancer background, and I’m not naturally flexible. If I try to do the front splits when I’m not warm, I would be a foot from the ground. When I’m warm, I’m about 6 inches from the ground. I’ve done various front splits stretch routines. (Veena has a 25-minute front splits routine that I currently do.) ~~~ My question for all of you is: How long did it take you to do the front splits? I’d especially like to hear from people who don’t come from a dancer background and/or who are not naturally flexible. THANKS!!

Colleen Larson replied 7 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Krabbette

June 25, 2016 at 1:34 pm

I have been pole dancing for little over 2 years, have no dancer background and I also dream of doing the front splits. (I literally dream about it from time to time…. 🙂 I have done various splits routines too (including Veena’s), however, strangely I feel that I am progressing faster if I don’t stretch for splits at all. I stretch to maintain flexibility after each workout, and I think this and the work on the pole itself helps me most. I hear a lot that consistency is the key to splits, but my body seems to work different, after stretching for splits regularly my muscles always feel tighter than before. I am no expert, but maybe you could try and change your method and see what it does to you? I am really surprised how not specifically stretching for splits has made my splits improve, I have never been that close before… (I just bought ‘elastic steel’ because I feel his approach is a little different to the ‘standard approach’. Do you know that DVD?) So, to answer your question finally… a rough estimation, as I’m not quite there yet… 2,5 to 3 years.

• LatinPoler

June 25, 2016 at 2:23 pm

I have background in dancing, not much, but yes, I did ballet and other types of dance and gymnastics when I was a child and a teenager. Not much as an adult. I’m 43 now. I think my flexibility is average, I’m not super bendy but not too stiff either. I almost have my splits, I have been stretching more or less consistently 3-4 times a week since November (8 months). I agree with Colleen, when I started I stretched every day and my muscles became stiffer and I didn’t see much progress. Then I relaxed my schedule and things improved. I have even taken a couple of 1-2 week breaks due to travel and life matters, and I don’t think those breaks had a detrimental effect. Recently I have been doing the Get Bend DVD (from Fit and Bendy) 3 times a week and I have seen the best improvement. The DVD is expensive ($25) but I do recommend it, it is a good investment. In 1 hour, you will train your front and side splits and your back flexibility.
    Good luck!

• Veena

Administrator
    June 25, 2016 at 3:05 pm

I would suggest using the 30 days to flexy program. I touch on everything mentioned in this thread. Not over doing it, stretching other areas, and changing up your program. That’s part of the reason for the program, it allows you to learn how to get the most out of stretching, without doing the same routine over and over in the same way (without change in duration and method) which isn’t optimal. Also cold flexibility will take most people YEARS to achieve.

Also people can become mentally obsessed with achieving what they want so bad they end up stressing out over lack of progress. Relax, flexibility comes in TIME, anyone who claims you’ll have fast and easy flexibility that is lasting, is trying to sell you something. 🙂 True mobility takes time. There are “tricks” and movements that allow the body to temporarily release and become more “flexible” but it’s not lasting. So unless you’ve been flexible in the past or have a natural tendency toward mobility it will not be quick.

• Colleen Larson

June 25, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies. LatinPoler, I do have the Fit and Bendy DVDs, and I like them. Veena, I’ll try your 30 days to flexy program. Thanks!