StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How does everyone stay in shape for poling?

• Layla Duvay

November 19, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I stay in shape by…poling! I used to add yoga and dancey, cardio stuff, but as I’ve gotten stronger, all I need is the pole! I have to drag myself away from it (I always go to muscle fatigue). Lots of spins and holds=cardio and practising inverts and moves like climbs and sits on both sides works every muscle in my body! I’ve gone down from an 18/20 to a size 14. I’ve only lost twenty or so pounds, but I don’t care, because I can do kickass shit like the bow and arrow now WOOHOO!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• poletrickster

November 19, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Good for you! I know I work up a sweat and my muscles are super sore just from pole dancing also I have to make myself stop I am constantly gravitating to my pole all day everyday LOL.

• Mary Ellyn

November 19, 2009 at 6:13 pm

I developed a lot of strength over the years by just doing pole work and a few crunches and cardio but I’ve found as I have gotten older (I’m 49 now) that isn’t enough for me. Plus stretching is a necessity to improve the look of your pole work.

Also I teach 12-20 hours a week so I don’t want to start feeling like I don’t enjoy the pole work by making it my workout.

I do 30 minutes of cardio a day, alternating between the ellyptical and treadmill on opposite days

I train on a Bowflex every other day (my treadmill day) and I use a fitness ball for ab/core as well as push-ups and twisting hip thruts on alternate days (my ellyptical day)

Additionally I do about 45 minutes of stretching for flexibility.

• Veena

Administrator
    November 19, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Pole dance alone will increase you strength and stamina thats for sure https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_rambo.gif ….but if you find yourself hitting a plateau (your stuck in a rut) then heading into the weight room is a great way to get to the next level. Also I always recommend that anyone who has been sedentary (hasn’t been exercising) start off with the strength training lessons before moving on to the beginner pole moves, they can help prepare your body and prevent injury’s.

To stay in shape now I, pole dance about 2 times a week, stretch, almost every day, hoop, sometimes as a warm up for pole. and do yoga once a week…I am going to try and take time to do this more. When I first began to pole I had been weight training for years, then it tapered off as my love for pole took over. I still enjoy weight training but find that if I have a chance to get a workout in I choose pole!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• chemgoddess1

November 19, 2009 at 10:02 pm

For me I am always doing something different. At least once a week I lift weights. One night is pole. One night may be pilates or stretchcing. I also have the Turbo Jam series on dvd, along with some other toning type dvd’s. Exercise TV on demand is a great resource, too, as I can check out all sorts of new routines. I bowl every Friday at work. Sometimes we take the kids roller skating. Does dancing in heels for 4 hours count ? During the summer there is hiking and biking and walks in the park with the doggies and swimming and and and and(Summer is nuts for us).

I am horrible with "routine". My schedule is too crazy to be consistent so I try to fit in at least 30-45 minutes of "something" a day.

• Judy Jovanelly

November 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm

given that i’m an old broad (51) and have spent my whole life studying dance, i find i need a lot to keep in shape. currently it’s 3 dance classes plus 3 cardio classes a week, with a little bit of resistance training at home with free weights. i am only able to pole once a week right now, but that will change in the new year. have to say, even with just once a week, i notice more strenght in my abs, and my arms are also re-shaping nicely. and you know those fat bits right in front of the arm-pit? i am noticing that poling is firming those things (i call em chicken cutlets) too ! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• SissyBuns

November 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I lift weights everyday. I have been into weightlifting for a long time (long before my love of pole). I love it and it compliments poling. What more could I ask for! I lift every day (a different muscle group each day) and try to pole on the days that I didn’t already fatigue my arms too much to hold me LOL. I used to run….before my feet gave out on me https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

• SissyBuns

November 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm

p90x……all the pull ups and chin ups really help.

I quit p90x (just didn’t have time for the hour long work outs) but I sure keep my pull up bar hangin in the door way and jump on it whenever I can LOL. Pull ups and chin ups are perfect for building pole strength.

• poletrickster

November 19, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I am finding that I am so sore from my workouts that I cant even lift myself up the pole, so I am going to cut back on my weights and just focus on pole work for a bit. My strength is rapidly improving and its fantastic! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• PhillyPoleJess

November 20, 2009 at 8:59 am

For quite a few months I slacked off from the gym for two reasons, a hamstring injury and my body adjusting to teaching more classes.

I started taking circus class and will resume that again once it is warm (i have to take two buses there 1.5hr each way ick)
    Cardio training
    Just got back into running 20min once a week. My hamstring is still recovering from an injury so usually elliptical 2x a week 20mins. Sometimes i just use my weighted jump rope till my heart wants to explode. Cardio is GOOD for pole it gives you major endurance to dance!

Weight Training
    Doing soooooo much upper body work with the pole I feel unbalanced if I go for a long time without working my legs. Things i do! walking lunges & squats; weighted step ups, kick backs, extensions, calf raises, etc ( so glad to be able to moderately train my legs again) Anything that requires weights!
    I agree with the other ladies learning pull ups and chin ups are excellent. (working on getting a muscle up and one handed pull up)
    For core i either do pole sit ups or in the gym I raise the smith bar hang by my knees and do sit ups there.