StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How do you beat the ash monster when poling

• How do you beat the ash monster when poling

Posted by Carrington on October 27, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I have VERY dry skin and being a dark sister if I go without lotion or oils on my skin (especially my legs) I get very dry chaffed skin. It just doesn’t look cute dancing with severe ash on your legs..Any suggestions how to at least tone this down with being too slippery on the pole?

Carrington replied 9 years, 6 months ago 8 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Lucca Valentine

October 27, 2014 at 10:58 pm

So I have insanely dry skin and this might be too much to deal with, but it helps me! Exfoliating REALLY well in the shower is a must. I also have 100% glycerine, it’s used in almost all moisturizers but there’s no oil! I will rub that in all over and kinda hang out for about 5-10 minutes and then go shower it off. It leaves my skin really soft but not slippery. Some girls use glycerine moisturizer before pole and it helps them, but this works better for me. Corn huskers lotion works the same way, but I couldn’t deal with the smell. The more you can really work the glycerine in, the better. So I spend a bit of time working it into the skin, especially places like knees and elbows, so that it absorbs really well. Then wash off the excess! This keeps me pretty soft for about a day or so

• Carrington

October 27, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Thank you Lucca..I will look into that!

• poletrotter

October 27, 2014 at 11:14 pm

My method is sort of similar to Lucca’s. (I can advocate the excellence of glycerine as I use it in my natural beauty routine from time to time.)

I exfoliate as well at least once per week but you may need more or less. If I do it too much it takes off my self tanner (I’m the opposite of you – pasty white!) 😛 I don’t always exfoliate in the shower. Instead I do dry brushing because it is so beneficial for stimulating blood flow and removing toxins.

For moisture I give myself a massage of warm virgin coconut oil up to daily, sometimes every few days – again can vary for you. I let the oil soak in for 10 minutes or longer while I brush my teeth, get my clothes out, etc and then hop in the shower. I use a gentle soap to get off any excess oil but the moisture has absorbed into the skin at this point and you won’t need any lotions or oils when you get out of the shower. Works like a charm and has really healing properties.

• Lucca Valentine

October 27, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Dry brushing is amazing o_O

• luvlee

October 28, 2014 at 1:15 am

I always was sliding because I was dry as well. I didn’t understand why I was slipping because I had not used lotions or oils. This is a misconception that everyone needs to stay away from lotions. Dry skin will make you slide badly. When I figured that out, I tried and I have been set ever since and had no issues or no days when I just couldn’t practice because I was sliding. It is good stuff. I use the medium in Spring-Summer and the ultra in the Fall- Winter.

• Poledancefan

October 28, 2014 at 8:39 am

I use glycerin also. Available in CVS and Walgreens stores in an all vegetable source for a couple of dollars. The key is not to pole right away. And yes, you REALLY have to rub it in. I use the exfoliating scrubby gloves for that. Being a guy, I don’t *totally* shave the leg hairs off completely, but just trim them down with a buzz shaver 4-5 times a year. That reduces slickness and also makes sweat from bike riding less salty and itchy. Glycerin is perfect for moisturizing and reducing stubble prickles, too!

Joel Lessing
    (“Poledancefan”)

• Carrington

October 28, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for all the feedback.Luvlee..i heard that about dry skin too..do you use the on your skin only before pole or more often?

• Vdub

October 28, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Oakmama I have the same problem. I use corn husker’s lotion before I pole, but it doesn’t prevent the ashy look. Between corn huskers and dry hands, I leave class with an all over ashy look (not a good look for a black woman)! I’m going to try some of these remedies. Thanks ladies!

• RobynPoleDancer

October 28, 2014 at 4:20 pm

DEW POINT!
    It was like an epiphany moment for me!
    Spray it on at the beginning of your pole session, rub it in by rubbing your legs together, don’t get it on your hands!
    In deepest dry winter I sometimes find I need to reapply a couple of times. I’m thinking of moving up from “Light” to “medium” strength this year!

• RobynPoleDancer

October 28, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Have you tried “Pole Physics”? it’s a moisturiser you can use every day after showering.
    Personally, I didn’t get on with it, but I know some people really like it.

• Carrington

October 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Im going to try this ..but what do I do about this ashy look without using oils? If i use lotion before I pole Ill slip..will the dewpoint counteract that?

• Vdub

October 28, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I tried Pole Physics and it didn’t do anything for me. I’m not surprised that both and vegetable glycerin seem to work for a lot of people. is basically glycerin and water so maybe you can try making your own and adjusting the water content. Oakmama maybe you can use the (or make our own) before poling to help you stick to the pole and then use some of the other things discussed for overall moisture. That’s what I plan to do.

• RedFox

October 28, 2014 at 6:20 pm

The application and removal of glycerin sounds like a really great idea. Also, if you want to make your own version of glycerin based , check out liveituppolefitness.ca? .com…? ONe of the two. There is a recipe to make your own, which is great because you can vary the recipe to suit your needs. I used it when I did a show on steel scaffolding poles and it was a life saver. Possibly literally. 😛

• luvlee

October 28, 2014 at 11:37 pm

You can use for a regular moisturizer, if that is what you mean. I spray it all over my body like lotion. I would use a lighter one for every day. I also recommend a good sugar scrub for your body.

• luvlee

October 29, 2014 at 12:47 am

Also, I have been wearing Scentsy Layers body butter and I. Can pole done with it. I don’t use a lot when I will be poling and you can not pole right away with the body butter.

Page 1 of 2