StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How Do I Let Go in a Climb/Crucifix?

• How Do I Let Go in a Climb/Crucifix?

Posted by JoleneBell on May 5, 2014 at 11:54 am

Working out right now, and I desperately need advice on how the heck to be able to let go during a Climb. I just can’t seem to be able to do it. I grip hard with my thighs, but it’s just not working. I would really like any and all tips!

JoleneBell replied 9 years, 11 months ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

May 5, 2014 at 11:59 am

It is not so much just a squeeze but a squeeze and an internal rotation of the legs. Also the pole should be more towards the knees than on your thighs.

• Runemist34

May 5, 2014 at 1:32 pm

It can be a slow process if you don’t trust your grip at first (which is entirely normal!), so the way I did it was to get into the position, and really anchor into my legs, and then relax my hands. Not take them off, but just feel where and how the weight goes when my hands aren’t actually supporting you. If you feel the weight shift at all, you can lock your hands back on in a moment and be safe. Eventually, I worked on taking one hand off, and then the other, though I’m not very good at bringing them back behind me- I still prefer keeping them in front, as the balance is still the same.

• Veena

Administrator
    May 5, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Why are you not able to let go? Do you feel like you’re falling back, legs slipping, arms in the wrong position to release? A video would be helpful.

• k8milly

May 5, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I think about pushing my legs down straight once they are in position around the pole and just try taking one hand off first. Try each hand off at a time then eventually two together if even for a second. You will be able to try longer once you are confident holding on with your thighs x

• JoleneBell

May 5, 2014 at 8:04 pm
  • Tigerschic041721

May 6, 2014 at 11:43 am

I think try squeezing lower more towards the knees and you will be able to lean your chest slightly forward to keep your balance (squeezing up too high makes me fall back because there’s no room to go forward)

• Cecilie Printz

May 6, 2014 at 12:14 pm

The others said it. I too had a hard time trusting my body to catch me, but make sure your legs’ grip around the pole is correct and then try to let go slowly. The other thing with the grip is to get like.. fraction between the pole and your skin. You will feel more secure when you get that feeling of your skin “catching” you, when you just relax a bit. The squeezing helps too of course, but when you get use to it your skin and technique are all you need! Lots of luck! 🙂

• PoleDreamer

June 18, 2014 at 2:39 pm

It looks like your hips are too close to the pole when you are placing your knees around the pole, so that you aren’t gripping in the correct place. You want the pole to be in the fatty part of the knee (slightly above the level of the knee, but not where you have to squeeze with your thighs). I’ve had students having the same issue and that was the only reason. I would start with setting the knee position with your knees flexed and *then* standing up from that. If you point your front ankle more, you will get a better lock too–the back of your ankle should hook around the pole. Hope this makes sense?