StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Horrible Smell after cleaning off x-pole?

• Horrible Smell after cleaning off x-pole?

Posted by FreeTheSun on July 21, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Ok, so i’ve used my x-pole a couple times but I never did a "hard-core" wipe down to get the factory polish stuff off, I honestly didn’t find it that slippy so I didn’t bother. But last night I figured I should cause the box said to (reminds me of the cheerio comercials). So I used Rubbing Alcohol (slightly diluted) and when I was wiping it down and here’s what happened: 1) my pink washcloth (which is designated for my pole) turned yellow, which I assume is the polish, I haven’t washed it yet so we’ll see if it comes off. 2) this horrid chemical smell filled the room and I had to take the washcloth to another room it was so bad and heavily clean the pole with windex to make it go away somewhat to where I wasn’t repulsed by my pole.
    My question is, is that just the polish coming off or have I done something horribly wrong to my pole? I couldn’t find out if alcohol was bad or not. I know we use it on the stainless ones at the studio but maybe I shouldn’t use it on chrome? Or was it just an initial factory-polish-coming-off-and-reeking thing? It seemed alright after than and I had a fab practice session but I wanted to make sure I haven’t ruined my pole.

FreeTheSun replied 14 years, 10 months ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Natalie

July 21, 2009 at 11:20 pm

I use rubbing alcohol on my TG pole all the time with no problem, and it never smelled bad or anything. I don’t know about "factory polish", mine didn’t say anything about that on the box at all, just that I had to wipe the grease from inside the joints before assembling. Maybe someone with a chrome pole knows something I don’t though. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif

• RoxyPink

July 22, 2009 at 12:23 am

I have a chrome x-pole and use alcohol all the time on it…never experienced anything like what you are describing! Where did you order your pole?

• Fleur

July 22, 2009 at 12:35 am

Uh oh, it sounds like you may have been dupped into purchasing a pole that isn’t a true X-pole. I was never instructed to wipe off any polish on mine and I’ve used rubbing alcohol on my chrome X pole without any of the reactions you are describing. Did you buy it from a licensed distributor?

• Trena

July 22, 2009 at 1:37 am

Sometimes when I clean my pole theres an odour from it too but nothing too bad. And I use a yellow cloth and it turns green sometimes. But my pole is fine. I dont use rubbing alcohol, I just use soapy water and dry it really well after but I do know that lots of people here use rubbing alcohol on their chrome poles all the time.
    Where did you buy your pole? I was never told to clean off the factory polish from mine…

• SissyBuns

July 22, 2009 at 1:56 am

I have a chrome x pole and I use alcohol all the time and have never had that problem. I also don’t recall seeing anything on the box that said to clean it… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif

• Foxy_Rei

July 22, 2009 at 2:07 am

Somewhere (not here) I read that X-Pole doesn’t recommend using rubbing alcohol on their poles, but a lot of us here, myself included, have used it with no problems. It’s recommended to wash the excess grease off the screw threads before you assemble the pole, and there’s wax? coating the pole when you first get it, but it’s a very thin layer to protect it during storage and shipping: not enough to do much of anything… It’s not polish, though, that’s for sure.

Like Fleur said, are you sure it’s a true X-Pole? 2 things to check: 1) color of the rubber on the top of the dome. Black is fake, clearish is real and 2) that there’s 2 little Xs inscribed on the base of the pole, right below the hex screws that you use to switch between spin and static. Fakes don’t always have the Xs.

Another possibility is your cloth… was it brand new or have you used it in the past for something else? Either way there might have been something in the cloth that didn’t mix with the rubbing alcohol. Try cleaning your pole again with a different cloth (because whatever was causing that smell is still on your pole so I’d clean it again anyway) and see if you get the same result. I’d also not dilute the rubbing alcohol…

If you’re worried it’s doing damage to your pole, look at the edges of the pieces, like the "corners" at the very ends of the pole by the screw threads, etc. and see if your chrome is chipping off or anything out of the ordinary.

Also don’t be afraid to call X-Pole customer service and see what they say. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_salut.gif

• FreeTheSun

July 22, 2009 at 2:18 am

Thanks for all the replys. I know it’s a real x-pole cause I got it from Veena (and the rubber is clear). The outside of the box had a green label on it that said to clean the pole before use to remove any excess polish from the factory (I’m guessing they leave it on to protect the pole or something). It might have been the cloth, although I don’t see how that would happen since it was only used with windex, the "green" kind cause it was on sale, before (couldn’t use alcohol on my old pole). I think I’ll try cleaning it again but dilute the alcohol even more and if it happens again I’ll call x-pole. I’m hoping it might have been just an initial thing and sometimes I’m sensitive to chemical smells and that’s why I noticed. Just wanted to see if any of you had ever experienced the same thing.

• FreeTheSun

July 22, 2009 at 2:22 am

or maybe try again with pure rubbing alcohol. I’ll do some experimenting… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_ugeek.gif