StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Hiatal Hernia

• Hiatal Hernia

Posted by Rara on December 8, 2009 at 2:56 am

Well as some of you may know all ready , I had a endoscopy done last week. The doctor did come out to speak with me briefly and told me he found a sliding Hiatal Hernia. I been doing some research online to find out as much as possible before i go for my follow up appointment on the 21st of the month. With doing my research I am finding that
    it say to Minimize heavy lifting, straining, bending over, but it says to exercise more. I was just wondering if anyone on the site have a hiatal hernia, and what restrictions to you have when it come to the pole.

I just got off the phone with a good friend of mind that works in the medical field and she told me that I should back off from the inverts because the hernia can go into the diaphragm more and cause pain.
    I am planing to talk to the doctor when I go and see him about the pole dancing . I just hope that wont have to give the inverting tricks , because it wont be as challenging for me.

Caroliiine replied 10 years, 4 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • SissyBuns

December 8, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Stopping the inverting makes sense to me too RaRa. Straining is bad for any type of hernia. Please let us know what the Doc says. Hopefully if you do have to stop it’ll only be temporary, once you get that hernia fixed up you can get back on that there pole!

• SaschaPoles

December 9, 2009 at 5:23 pm

awww!! i know how stressful this has been for you hunnie!! i hope the doctor gives you some good advice, and like sissy said, hopefully it’ll just be a short break from dancing, and you’ll be back on the pole in no time https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Rara

December 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm
  • SaschaPoles

December 9, 2009 at 10:28 pm

very exciting rara about *********s vid!! we’re here for you! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif your profile picture is so cute btw!

• Caroliiine

February 15, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Hey @Rara!

I have a hiatal hernia too… I have had since and before i started poling over a year ago… An dim always doing way more than I know I should! Shoulder mounts, flags and other ab related exercises apart from pole! Id love to know how you got on with it and pole?

• megan12

February 15, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I'm fairly certain I have a hiatal hernia based on my symptoms (heartburn and difficulty and pain with swallowing at times). I don't care to have the diagnosis confirmed because I don't want to go through the endoscopy process and my treatment won't change from what I do now. Nurses are the worst patients, I tell you! haha

Anyways, in terms of exercise, there really hasn't been much research done on the safety of exercise and hiatal hernia. But I'll bet your physician will tell you to go easy on the exercise since straining and being upside-down will increase your intra-abdominal pressure and possibly create more pain. But I suppose it would depend upon how troublesome your symptoms are/how large the hernia is. 

Mine doesn't bother me much. I can avoid any discomfort during exercise by not eating for a few hours beforehand and not drinking too much water while working out. Poling is actually not a problem for me, it's usually intense cardio that aggravates my symptoms. So I think you should talk to your doctor and see what he/she thinks but in the end, it's up to you how you feel. 

• Milena Stoyanova

February 16, 2013 at 7:49 am

Hello everyone,

I have also hiatal hernia and did a lot of searches on this topic.

Here are some essential videos with tips how to handle it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DtwjUuqQow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td_mMidxqDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrdNfaanpIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0zKB2_-UM

My doctor told me that I have to take anti acids all my life, but I just ignored him.

There are few directions to follow in order to correct the hernia:

decrease the food quantity you eat. The stomac is a muscle which adjusts according to the quantity we put in. The less, the better. It does not mean starving, just eat less but frequently.

take the supplements and the exercise recommended by Dr. Dahlman to sooth the digestion system (it really works).

do some abs to strengthen the stomac muscle (crunches).

Personally I've found that with all the above adjustments, also going regularly to my ostheopath,  and working on the pole, I can say that my problem is at least 70-80% solved.

Hope this helps.

• PowerTwirl

February 17, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I've had a hiatal hernia since 2005 before I started pole. It was found during endoscopy but I had no symptoms of it, I was there for something else. A large number of the population have a sliding hiatal hernia and are not aware of it. It should not stop you from poling or any other exercise. They say not to lift things with hernias like in the groin… those are typically hernias that were caused by lifting. They aren't really talking about hiatal hernias there. But… I have been having a lot of GI problems the past couple years. I have had 6 endsocopies prior to these problems for other reasons but I don't want to get another one because I'm sick of it. I'm pretty sure my hernia is worse now and I notice sometimes after pole it does feel worse. Upside down things are the worst but I can't really tell because I feel bad a lot when I'm not even doing pole. I have been on prevacid for like 6 years. I will tell you though do not hold your breath in while lifting. Always exhale then lift.

• Caroliiine

March 18, 2014 at 3:45 am

Update!!!!
    After about 4 months of clean eating and training harrrrrd – eating paleo based and not extremely strict… my hernia symptoms have completely disappeared!!!!!!!!
    Yay!