StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Help pole dancing make it to the olympics!

• Jenn PoleLush

January 19, 2010 at 5:08 am

Signed! I agree 100% it should be considered an Olympic Sport! The discipline required is phenomenol..keep the petition going!

• ThatDamnZ

January 19, 2010 at 5:59 am
  • RoxyPink

January 19, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I’m going to have to be the odd ball! I don’t know how I feel about it moving to that point…this kinda goes back to the sensuality thread. If pole dancing where to hit the olympics you can kiss hip rolls and crawling around the floor goodbye….and no more stilettos! *sobs uncontrolably* lol I love the strength and endurance that it takes for us to pole and the huge amount of artistry that goes with it. However, if it were to make it to the olympics it would be treated the same as gymnastics…and personally the thought of 14 year olds being the "ideal" pole olympian kinda creeps me out! When I think pole I picture Jamilla, Felix etc…not some young kid. Of course I would support it if it ever got that far but honestly I don’t think I want it too! I like having that sensual and intimate bond with my pole, heels and booty shorts! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif As of right now we have a choice if we want to do pole dance or pole fitness (big difference in my eyes) but if it became a legit olymipic sport than any and all governing bodies (ie USPDF, IPDF etc…) would taylor their requirements and teachings per olympic standards…which would eliminate the "choice". For example Gymnasts and figure skaters train per standards that could potentially get them to the olympics…they test through different organizations that layout requirments that ultimately are passed down from higher organizations. For the most part they don’t just do their own thing…know what I mean?

Anyways sorry if I strike a nerve… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• verucablue

January 19, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I’m going to have to be the odd ball! I don’t know how I feel about it moving to that point…this kinda goes back to the sensuality thread. If pole dancing where to hit the olympics you can kiss hip rolls and crawling around the floor goodbye….and no more stilettos! *sobs uncontrolably* lol I love the strength and endurance that it takes for us to pole and the huge amount of artistry that goes with it. However, if it were to make it to the olympics it would be treated the same as gymnastics…and personally the thought of 14 year olds being the "ideal" pole olympian kinda creeps me out! When I think pole I picture Jamilla, Felix etc…not some young kid. Of course I would support it if it ever got that far but honestly I don’t think I want it too! I like having that sensual and intimate bond with my pole, heels and booty shorts! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif As of right now we have a choice if we want to do pole dance or pole fitness (big difference in my eyes) but if it became a legit olymipic sport than any and all governing bodies (ie USPDF, IPDF etc…) would taylor their requirements and teachings per olympic standards…which would eliminate the "choice". For example Gymnasts and figure skaters train per standards that could potentially get them to the olympics…they test through different organizations that layout requirments that ultimately are passed down from higher organizations. For the most part they don’t just do their own thing…know what I mean?

Anyways sorry if I strike a nerve… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

Yup I am with you on this…I have a lot to say about the subject but I need to really think about how to word it without offending lol…so it’s going to have to wait a bit….

• amy

January 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm

i agree. i think pole dancing is a form of artistic dance, and not a sport. while difficult tricks are great, i think that dance and fluidity are critical to the beauty of the movement, and i just do not see that being retained if it becomes competitive the same way that gymnastics is. i think it would be great if it was widely recognized that there is a very difficult physical aspect to pole dancing (which is, i think, the underlying purpose of the petition), but i dont think that inclusion in the olympics is the way that i’d like to see pole dancing evolve.

• polergirl

January 19, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I kinda don’t want it in the Olympics….for the reasons others have stated. And the mental picture of 14-year-old girls becoming the new ideal for pole, just as they are in gymnastics, totally skeeves me out. Sry.

• SissyBuns

January 19, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I sign these petition thingys just because I want poledance to be recognized more mainstream period. I want more people to see it and see what we do and how fuggin awesome it is. I do agree with you ladies though that things will change if it were to become an olympic sport (which I honestly don’t think it will anytime soon) but I think it would be broken up into two different categories. "Polefitness" would probably end up being the competitive (olympic) form where women wear volleyball type outfits and pull off trick after trick after trick with not much dance inbetween. Kind of like the floor routines in gymnastics, ya know what I mean. They do those proper lookin sashay’s and steps across the floor, point toe here, arm wave here, twirl, jump then bam…flip, flip, bad ass move, flip, landing! Poledance would be what Alethea does and what Karol does and what Felix does. That’s the stuff you’d see in shows and at competitions like USPDF. There fore, I think it could be doable. That’s just my prediction though LOL.

I think it’s already kind of split up anyways. There are those that mostly pole to do trick after trick and then those that dance with a trick here and there. I love them both and they both inspire me. Even if it did make it to the Olympics and the "sport’ changed. The art would still be there…..even if only underground LOL.

• Goofy

January 20, 2010 at 7:04 am