StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Helicopter

• Helicopter

Posted by maney on August 14, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I just cant do it and its driving me insane. Hours and hours working from side to side but always just going up and back down. I can get there I just cant stay there not even for three seconds. I can make it into a crucifix but swinging around upside down legs spread wide would be so much more fun. Is this a bigger girl problem? I have seen others do this move with some extra handles. Any advice or thoughts on this problem would be great

yogabeachbabe replied 14 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • angel6101

August 14, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I know your frustration. When I was a dancer all I wanted to do was this move but struggled over and over with it until by accident I got it! First, which leg are you kicking up with? It should be your inside leg and you shouldn’t be kicking just straight up but up and around to get you moving. Also remember to not just think of getting the hipsup and over but also dropping the upper body/head down so the lower body can come up and over more. Other than that watch your grip…too tight and you’ll just go up and down. Good luck and I hope this helps…even if it takes a little longer!!!

• bebeduckie

August 14, 2009 at 5:59 pm

i’m having the same problem, where i can get into it, but cant hold it for very long, esp when i try to straighten my arms!my teacher just told me it was a core strength issue…maybe watch the video that roxy-pink put called ‘abs for sissy’ to build that strength!?

• RoxyPink

August 14, 2009 at 7:57 pm

You beat me to it Bebeduckie!! I was going to suggest taking a look! I personally don’t recommend EVER kicking into anything…unless you already know how to do it…but then again I am also biased as I like the way lifting looks vs kicking/jumping! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• yogabeachbabe

August 14, 2009 at 8:14 pm

And I have to add, Roxy, that you are spectacular at gracefully lifting into anything inverted. I swear, you’re my role model!